Status: Active

Holding onto Nothing

One

Beep, Beep! Beep, Beep!

I just caught the tail end of the sticker covered Buick as it zoomed by my house; the noise from its horn had caused me to jump and spill my coffee all down my white cardigan.

“Fucking great!” I yelled throwing my stack of books on the roof of my car and removing my stained sweater. “Yet another morning ruined by Bam Margera…” I mumbled as I got situated and climbed into my car.

It was true; ever since I had known Bam he had always found ways to aggravate me. Beeping his horn sporadically as he drove by with every intent on scaring the shit out of me just happened to be his latest past time. And unfortunately for me, he was rather good at it.

My family and I had moved to the small town of West Chester, Pennsylvania six years ago when I was about eleven. The move was rough for me; I hated leaving my friends back home in Boston. Worried about making friends and scared of everything, my first day at Glen Acres Elementary was only made better when I was assigned a seat right next to Brandon Margera.

We didn’t become the best of friends and we didn’t fall head over heels for each other at elven years old. We were just friends. He was someone I could talk to easily and sit with at lunch when I had no one else. We lived a few streets away from each other and shared stories about our families, but we never spoke outside of class, other than a simple “Hi,” in passing. And we kept up this friendship all the way until today, although now that we were in high school we didn’t talk half as much. But he always found a way to be a part of my life.

It was his eyes that had drawn me to him so easily; his blue eyes that spark up with the simple mention of skateboarding or videotaping. Those were the things he was most passionate about. Even at the age of twelve when he would tell me his dreams about being a professional skateboarder and being on TV just like Tony Hawk and Bucky Lasek, it was really hard not to believe the kid. He also has this sense of humor that radiates off of him and he’s a fabulous story teller.

As I parked my car I shook my head clearing it of my thoughts. I could hardly believe I had just spent the last ten or so minutes fogging my mind with Bam. I grabbed my books and made sure I locked my car and made my way into East High School.

I made my way towards my locker to get my belongings. The day had gone by painfully slow as usual.

BANG!

My locker door slammed shut in my face causing me to scream and jump back. Standing to my left, his hand still on my closed locker, was Bam chuckling away.

“Geeze, Mia. I didn’t think you would scream.”

“You’re such an ass.” I said laughing. “I’d like to get my stuff.”

“Well, fucking fine.” He said moving out of my way. “Be that way.”

“Be what way?” I asked reopening my locker and rolling my eyes at him.

“I was going to ask you to hang out today…”

“You completely ruined my $70 cream sweater this morning from J. Crew. Why would I hang out with you?”

“70 fucking dollars?” He asked me with his mouth open completely ignoring my previous
question. “Who buys shit like that?”

Rolling my eyes again and shutting my locker, I turned to face him. “Are you done?”

“Are you coming to my house?”

“For what?” I asked laughing.

“I just…I don’t know…” He said shrugging. Something in his voice had changed, he almost seemed dejected.

Before I got a chance to answer him Chris Raab, his longtime best friend and partner in crime, appeared at the end of the hallway, “Yo Bam Bam.”

“I gotta go.” Bam said running towards Raab. “I’ll catch you later Mia.”

“Bye…” I said watching his retreating back. “That was so weird…” I mumbled to myself as I headed out to my car. In the last six years since I had known Bam he had never once asked me to come over to his house, let alone not let me answer. And the hint of sadness had thrown me off too. Deciding I was definitely over thinking things, I made my way down the hall way and out into the bright fall afternoon.