Status: Active

Holding onto Nothing

Two

The ringing of the bells let me know that a costumer had just entered the store. Stopping what I was doing and walking towards the front of the store, I sighed, aggravated by the small interruption.

“Thanks for the fucking no-show yesterday.” I looked up to see a very familiar shaggy head of hair by the register.

“No-show?” I asked with a giggle. “Hello to you too, Bam.”

“Yeah, a no-show!” He remarked as though I was insane. “I invited you over, and you didn’t show up.”

“I didn’t think you were serious.” I said rolling my eyes and laughing.

“Why wouldn’t I have been?!”

“I don’t know. You’ve never had me over before.”

“We gotta start this thing somewhere, Amelia.” He stated looking inside the glass case to my left. “I’ll have one of these things.”

“What thing, and it’s Mia.” I said getting a glove on my hand and reaching into the glass case to get him a raspberry Danish.

“How long ago did you cook all this shit?” He asked looking around at all the baked goods.

“Most of it is from this morning.”

Eyebrows raised his gaze found mine. “Wow.”

“What thing?” I asked as I bagged his food up.

“Our relationship.” He said with a smirk. “I’ll have a piece of that chocolate shit right there too.”

“It’s fudge.” I said trying act cool even though my heart was now beating out of my chest.

“Right. So when do you get off work?”

I glanced at the clock as I placed the fudge box next to the register. “Six I think.”

“Rad.” He said handing me a $20. “Keep the change.” Smirking he picked up his paper bag of goodies and left.

“What the fuck…” I mumbled to myself. He had definitely said the word relationship. “Please tell me he meant friendship relationship.”