Status: Finished

Gotta Be You

I'm Sure

Hope's POV

“I’m going to the kitchen to get something to drink, you want something?” I asked as we climbed back onto the boat.

“Um, yeah a water would be good.” Liam answered.

“Okay dokey.” I skipped down to the kitchen door and open it quietly.

Just as I expected, Harry and McKenna were in there but my jaw dropped when I realized what they were doing.

I closed the door and walked away, stunned.

“Where’s my water?” Liam asked sarcastically as I came back empty handed, “Hope? What’s wrong?”

“Harry and McKenna,” I partially muttered, “They were…. Kissing.”

“What?” Liam asked, worried. “Really? Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” I answered, “Never better.”

And that was the truth. I felt horrible about my feelings for Liam but now I know that Harry feels the same way. I promised myself that today I would talk to Harry. Finally things could be perfect.

“Are you sure?” He asked concerned, taking me into his arms.

I smiled and quickly pecked his cheek, “Positive.”

We dried off and changed before going back into the kitchen for lunch. Harry and McKenna were still in there.

“We made lunch!” She smiled, showing us the chicken Caesar salad.

“Looks good.” Liam commented.

“Well Harry is an incredible teacher.” She smiled, flirtatiously.

Harry blushed which reminded me, “Harry, can I talk to you?” I asked.

“Yeah,” He smiled, “I wanted to talk to you too.”

He took my hand and we walked back outside. There was a nice breeze.

We stood there, silent for a moment before he said, “I want you to be my official girlfriend.”

My jaw dropped. I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t expecting this at all, “Dude!” I exclaimed.

“What?” He asked oblivious.

“Are you serious?” I was yelling now.

“Yes?” He asked.

“I saw you!” I yelled, “I saw you kiss McKenna and now you want me to be your girlfriend?”

“Yes? What?” He asked again.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about!”

“What does that have to do with it? You’ve kissed Liam.”

“Yeah,” I paused, realizing that I was just as bad, “But I was planning to tell you. That’s why I wanted to talk to you. To break it off.”

“What?” He asked, his confused expression turning to a mixture of surprise and sadness.

“Yes,” I sighed, “Harry we’re too different, I’m sorry.”

“But what about you and Liam?” He was almost pleading, “You guys are different.”

“It’s not the same thing.” I answered, “Harry it’s not because you’re famous, it’s because we’re complete opposites. You like to party and hang out with people. I like to sit home and watch a movie.”

“How is that relevant?” He asked.

I sighed, “I mean that you’re loud and a go-getter while I’d rather just wait and see what happens. You should stick with McKenna.” I told him, “You guys are seriously perfect together.” I began to walk away but stopped, “Harry please, this is really for the best.”

“How do you know that?” He asked.

“I just do.” I gave him my pathetic answer, “You want to go eat lunch?”

“Nah, I’m not really hungry.” He said, turning around and walking in the other direction.

“Where are you going?” I asked. He didn’t answer. I sighed and ran after him, “What do you want from me?”

“Why won’t you just give me a chance?” He questioned.

“I did.” My voice began to get higher, like it always does when I’m angry, “And then you kissed my best friend.”

“Hope!” He exclaimed, “You kissed my best friend too!”

“But that different,” I said pathetically. “Oh gosh, I’m sorry Harry but I just can’t do this. I need you to understand that. Please.”

We both looked up to see Niall, Louis, and Lilly staring at us. Harry glanced at them and then looked at me. He roughly pushed past me and continued walking.

Louis followed Harry asking him what was wrong. “What happened?” Lilly demanded after they left.

“I told Harry that I didn’t want to be his girlfriend and he got upset.” I told them plainly.

“There’s got to be more than that.” Niall pushed.

“I kissed Liam!” I confessed.

“I know.” Lilly stated.

“No but Harry kissed McKenna.”

“What?” She asked, “Did he really?”

“Yes, I answered. “So I told him I needed to talk to him, you know to break it off and then he asked me to be his girlfriend, and I started to get angry…” I droned on and on about what happened and how I was feeling.

“Oh Hope I’m sorry.” Lilly walked over, trying to give me a hug.

I pushed her arms off, “No I’m fine. It’s Harry I’m worried about. I honestly thought that he would feel the same way. I mean it’s not normal for a guy to be dating one girl and kissing another, is it?” I asked, unconvinced.

Lilly shook her head, “No of course not. But Hope...” She started.

“But Hope what?” I asked.

“You were kinda doing that to Harry with Liam.” She mumbled.

I groaned, “Ugh, I know and I feel terrible but at least I was planning to tell him!”

“Can we talk about this later?” Niall cut in, “I’m hungry.”

“Yeah let’s.” Lilly agreed walking past me to the kitchen, “You coming?” She asked me.

I hesitated, this is Harry’s problem now, not mine, “Yeah, I’m starving.”

We walked back into the kitchen silently. I plopped down in the chair beside Liam and I smiled at him. He smiled back and put his hand on my leg, “Sure you’re okay?”

I thought about it for a moment before nodding, “Yeah I’m sure.”