Status: Finished

Gotta Be You

Help

Lilly’s POV

“Hope!” I call as I walk through the front door. I wait for a response, nothing. “MARY!” I try again, a little louder. Once again there is no answer. I sigh and throw my bag down on the leather couch. The phone starts to ring so I kick off my flip flops and stalk towards the kitchen.

“Hello?” I answer.

“Is this,” A man says, pausing, I hear him shuffling through some papers. “Lilly Young?”

“Yes sir. Who are you?” I ask.

“This is Don White from the mail office. Ms. Young we have a package here for you that was unable to be delivered to your house, could you please come and pick it up by tomorrow afternoon?”

“Oh, yeah sure.” Who would have sent me a package? It could have been my parents maybe, but what would it be? “Thank you.” I hang up the phone.

I run upstairs and change out of my bathing suit from this morning and into some jean shorts and a t-shirt. I guess I could go pick it up now because neither Hope nor Mary seemed to be around. If only I knew where the post office was. I walked out of my room headed for the stairs and I ran into another person, carrying a curling iron like a baseball bat. We both scream, I run for the stairs.

“I-I will call the police!” The voice calls from the top of the stairs. “Get out of my house!”

“Why would I get out of my own house?!” I call back. Mary comes down the stairs with a sheepish look on her face. “What are you doing?”

“I heard voices downstairs and I thought someone broke in.” She said. “You could have told me you were home so I didn’t think I was being robbed!”

“I called your name like ten times.” I exaggerate. “You didn’t answer.”

“I was asleep!” She protests.

“How was I supposed to know that.” I say. “And why do you have a curling iron? Were you going to curl the guy’s hair to death?”

She laughs. “I don’t know it was the first thing I saw. If I pointed it like this,” She turned it on its side. “it looks like a gun.”

“Whatever, anyway I got a call about a package or something. I’m going to go and pick it up, OK?” I say sliding my shoes back on.

“Cool, I guess I’ll go back to my nap.” Mary heads for the stairs.

I grab the keys for our rental car off the counter and go outside. I sit down on the tan leather seats and take a deep breath. I have no idea where I’m going. I drive down to the boys house and knock on their door.

“Hey.” Niall answers.

“Hey, I need you to come with me for a little while.” I say.

“I already spent all day with you. I bet you just can’t get enough of me!” He says following me out to my car.

“You wish. Actually, I need to go the post office or whatever it’s called over here and I don’t know where I am going.”

“Don’t you remember, I’m just vacationing here too! I don’t know.”

“Well then, maybe between the two of us we can figure it out.” I say backing out of the driveway. I roll down my window and stick my arm out the side letting the warm sunlight spread throughout me. “Do you have a girlfriend?” I ask.

“Well aren’t you nosy.” He jokes. “Actually no I don’t have a girlfriend necessarily. Just a girl I see often.” Niall says.

“Chicken.” I cough into my elbow.

“What was that? Did you just call me a chicken?” I nod. “I am not.” He crosses his arms over his chest.

“Just ask the girl to be your girlfriend already.” I say. “You know, unless you’re a chicken.”

“You don’t even know what you are talking about.” He counters. “It’s not that easy. We are kind of just friends and I don’t want to ruin that.”

“Easy.” I say. “Tell her you want to be more than friends.”

“Whatever.”

“What’s her name?” I ask, still curious.

“Natalie King.”

“That’s cute.”

“I’m glad you approve.” He laughs. “Here park over here. We can just get out and walk around until we find the post office.”

“Alright.” I park the car, which I am getting used to driving now. The air is warm and there is a gentle breeze.

I start walking towards the sidewalk and Niall grabs my hand. I smile up at him and he smiles back. “Lets go this way.” He says. We walk along and look at the window displays.

“Ooooh a cupcake shop, yum!” I say excitedly.

“You want one?” He asks and I nod excitedly. A red velvet cupcake would hit the spot right now. We walk inside and the air conditioning hits us like a wave.

Niall chooses chocolate and I get red velvet. I reach for my wallet but Niall stops me. “I got it.” He says.

“Thanks, you didn’t need to do that.” I say after he pays the cashier.

“No problem.” We go and sit at a tiny table outside the shop. I start to bite into mine when Niall reaches up and pushes my nose into it.

“Niall!” I yell. “What was that for?”

“I thought it would be funny.” I shot him a glare. “I was right.” He mocks me.

I wipe my face with a napkin. “Did I get it all?”

“Hang on.” He reaches out and wipes icing off the end of my nose, letting his finger linger a little too long. “Got it.” He licked the icing off his finger.

“Ew.” I say.

“Sorry, I don’t turn down food.” Niall laughs.

“I know, well we have still got to find the post office.”

“You’re right. It has got to be around here somewhere. This is a pretty small town.”

“Let’s go.”