Angels Aren't Real

1/3

There is something not quite so sickening about the way you work so hard to mutilate every single one of your tattoos so the colors warp and sink needles into any vein they'll flirt with. And there's something no quite ugly about the stench of sex and puke hanging off you like a disease or your matted hair that could easily be taken as dread locks.

And there's something just endlessly beautiful about the way your newly blackened lungs steal smoke from the cigarette hanging carelessly between your fingers, then push it right back through your teeth and lips.

It's almost feels right to be strung out and a god damn wreck.

"There's nothing more comforting..." You whispered, giving a deadened stare.

We slowly spoke the words together in an eerie out-of-sync rhythm.

"...than getting to the end of a cigarette..." A deadly silent pause. "...and knowing you're still nothing."

Like the lunatics we were, we burst out laughing. But anyone with half a soul would know just how bittersweet it was.

"Everyone says I look worse." You mumbled under your breath in a heartless manner.

The only true words I knew anymore leaked from my mouth. "I'm no angel right now either."