Away

Whist

Trying to remain quiet in the halls is one of the ways I avoid being seen by Xavier.
But usually it seems like he really looks for me. And today, when he sees me, I can tell he's had a bad day. And I will be the person he takes his anger out on.
When I heard a familiar bitter voice, I looked down, almost tripping, and then glanced up at Xavier's face.
He narrowed his eyes and shoved me against the lockers behind me.
"Xavier, please!" I cried. I think one of the handles on the lockers cut my back; I can feel something warm running down towards my waist.
"Shut up!" he yells, then punches me in the stomach, harder than ever before. I try to hold it in, but when I can't, I scream.
Right now, the school is completely empty. By now, the teachers and janitors have left. I was trying to organize my homeroom teacher's classroom.
Screaming was a huge mistake. He moves behind me and kicks the back of my knee, forcing me to fall towards the ground.
Tears fill my eyes, and I try to hurry and blink them away before Xavier sees. But unfortunately, I'm one second too late, and he sees.
"You big baby! Why are you crying? Just take your punishment like a real person!" Xavier shouts. He then kicks me in the stomach.
I let out a whimper and whisper, "Why do you do this to me?"
He doesn't hear.
I try again. "Why do you do this to me?" I scream this time. There's no way he could've missed what I said.
Instead of answering, Xavier just pivots on his heels and walks away, leaving me immobilized and alone.

*

About an hour later, I arrived at home. I raced up the stairs before my parents could see me.
Reaching my room in record time, I looked into the mirror to see the damage Xavier had done this time.
I had a slight black eye, a few bruises on my arms and stomach, a cut on my back, dry blood running down past my shoulder blades, and a very sore shoulder.
I hurried and jumped into the shower, making sure to get all the blood off of me.
When I got out, I wrapped up in a towel and threw my former pj's (athletic shorts and a tank top with a low back) out in exchange for a long sleeved shirt and yoga pants.
I got dressed, brushed my hair and teeth, and put today's wardrobe in the wash. Looking back in the mirror, I realized I still had a black eye to worry about, so I swiped some concealer on and ran back downstairs to greet my parents.
"Mary! How was your day, Sweetie?" my mom asks, doing her daily routine which right now consists of making supper.
"Fine mom. How was yours?"
I'm worried about my secret slipping. About everything thats happened to me because of Xaver. But somehow, I keep my mouth shut.
Why don't I tell my parents about Xavier? Because somehow, I just know that telling on him would kill me. Literally.
"Oh, it was great, thanks for asking. I'd love to talk more, but you probably have homework, and I got to finish supper." My mother walks over and kisses me on the cheek and gets back to work.
After getting my homework finished and supper eaten, I decide that I'm tired and I want to go to sleep.

*

During the night, I dream of Xavier.
Xavier beats me up, but instead of leaving right after he's finished, he stays. And instead of staying far away, he comes so closed to me, that our lips are inches apart. I close the gap.
But there's no sparks.
Alternately, there is a stabbing pain in my back. And something warm running down to the waistband of my skinny jeans.
I pull back and see Xavier's eyes. Full of fire, anger, hatred.
He has a knife. Blood is running down the hilt.
Pushing me down, I cough up blood, and just vaguely hear Xavier whisper, "I love you, Mary, but you must die."

*

And I wake in a cold sweat.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ive already got ideas for some later chapters! im kind of excited of where this story is going!

p.s. in just an hour, i got 6 readers and 1 subscriber for the first chapter! thank you so much!