Status: We'll see where this goes...

Bad Habits

I'm still waiting for you to be the one I'm waiting for

"Kat, wake up. We're gonna be late for school."

I squinted my eyes open to see my best friend, Nicole standing in my room, going through my closet.
"What are you doing here, Nic?" I mumbled, and she threw down my over sized Queen shirt that lay off the shoulder, and a pair of floral jeans.
"Go get in the shower, I'll do your hair." she ordered, and I stood and shuffled into my bathroom. I closed the door, then turned on the water and stripped down. I got in and let the warm water run over my muscles, before squeezing conditioner in my hands and lathering it in my hair. I washed my body and face, then rinsed my hair and got out. I dried off and put on my bra and panties, before stepping back out into my room. Nicole quickly made her way into my bathroom, pulling out my curling iron and make up bag. I got dressed, then stepped back into my bathroom. I brushed my teeth as Nicole brushed out my damp hair. She blow dried it, then started curling.

"Is this gonna become a daily habit for you?" I asked, and she snickered.
"If you can't get your lazy ass up early enough, then yes. I look this good in the morning, and I get up way before you. If I can do it, you can do it."
"But you're hot, and I'm... Not." I mumbled, staring at my red hair and blue eyes in the mirror.

My name is Katherine Annette Johansen. Indeed, I do have bright red hair with blue eyes, which complimented my pale skin. I may be ginger, but I have no freckles. I was average height, lean, and awkward. I'm seventeen years old and a Junior in some old high school in a little town in Arizona, not even twenty minutes away from Phoenix. I never put much into the way I looked, because my confidence levels aren't exactly the highest. I was the shy girl in my class. Always have been. I'm an artist, and a poet, and a musician. I was mostly a painter, though. That was something that many of my fellow students knew about, as I usually sported an old paint covered tee shirt, a pair of sweat pants, and my hair in a bun. I was always drawing or painting. Paintings my thing. I always thought I was much better at it than sketching things. Many of the kids in school would describe me as the shy, awkward girl, who was always covered in paint, and always in the art room every chance I could get. Well, they were right. And that's the reason I never put much into my appearance. It didn't matter much to me, since the only guy I had ever liked hasn't given me a single glance since Kindergarten.

"Your hair is done, darling," Nicole said in a British accent as she kissed the tips of her fingers.
"How am I gonna put this up when I need to work today?" I whined, as I picked at the messy red curls that flowed around my waist.
"You're not gonna put it up!" she nearly yelled, slapping at my hand.
"But I have to so I can paint."
"No, you're not painting. You don't even have an art class! Go sit in the garden and jam with Ken or something." she said, and I shrugged.

Kennedy Brock and Nicole Grant were my best friends. They have been since we were in first grade. We were always together, never separated. Kennedy had long, dark brown hair and hazel eyes. He has a small gap in between his two front teeth that is the cutest thing. Nicole is more... She seems like she should be with the popular kids. She's like a doll. The typical tan, Arizona skin, light brown hair with blonde highlights and beautiful brown eyes. 'The color of mud,' she always says. Kennedy is more of a brother to me, while Nicole is my gossip girl. She knows everything about everyone and knows what's going down in the school.

"That means I have to bring my guitar... I haven't brought my guitar since Freshman year." I mumbled, and she rolled her eyes.
"So? Who cares? Now turn." she demanded, as she whipped out liquid liner and mascara. She did my make up, then beamed at me in the mirror.
"You look gorgeous!" She squealed, and I sighed.
"Thanks." I mumbled, before going back into my room and sitting on my bed. She had laid out a pair of heels for me and I looked up at her skeptically.

"Come on, Nic, you know I'm not as..."
"Just wear the damn hooker heels."
"No. I'm too clumsy for those things, are you kidding me?" I chuckled, then pulled out a pair of Toms that I had painted a scenery from the Arizona sky on.
"You need to let yourself loose sometimes, Kat."
"Just because I don't wear heels and crop tops to school like you, doesn't mean I'm a tight ass. It means I'd like to keep my virginity a but longer."
"Oh, come the fuck on! It's not like I slept with every guy in the school..."
"True. You haven't slept with Kennedy." I snickered, and she rolled her eyes.
"Don't be a bitch."

A car horn sounded from outside and I looked out to see Kennedy sitting in the driveway.
"Ken's here, come on." I said, ripping Nicole away from herself in the mirror. I grabbed my acoustic and backpack, before stumbling downstairs, Nicole following right behind.

"Hey, Ken," I greeted as I slid into the back seat of his car.
"Hey, hey, Kat. You look amazing!"
"Doesn't she?" Nicole commented, scrunching her nose with a smile.
"You're gonna have guys crawling all over you," Kennedy said, before glancing at my guitar.
"I hope that means we're jammin' today," he said, excitement sparkling in his eyes.
"Yup!" I smiled, and he gave a big, goofy smile that revealed his adorable gap.

"Alright, drive, whore." Nicole ordered, and Kennedy rolled his eyes, his smile still lingering. He tossed an Arizona Tea back at me, then handed both Nicole and I a giant blueberry muffin.
"Thanks," I said, taking a big bite out of the muffin.

When we got to school, the three of us sat outside under a tree until the bell rang. I stood, then stretched before picking up my back pack.

"Spanish, yay," I mumbled, and Kennedy chuckled.
"I hate this class." he said, and Nicole nodded.
"It's better than that economics class," she said, and Kennedy and I groaned.
"So glad I didn't take that class." I muttered as we entered the building and made our way upstairs to the Spanish classroom. We took our normal seats in the back and pulled out our journals, starting on the warm up that was in another language on the board.

****

When lunch came around, the three of us hurried out to Kenny's car and got in.
"Where to, ladies?" he asked, and I shrugged.
"Chinese food sounds good."
"Alright," he said with a smile as we headed down the road and to a Chinese restaurant.

As our waitress sat our food in front of us, Nicole picked up her phone.
"Ella says we're getting a project assigned today in chemistry. Due in two weeks, and the old man is choosing our partners."
"Oh, fantastic. This is gonna suck." I mumbled, before taking another bite of my chicken fried rice.

****

Kennedy and I made our way over to our desk, while Nicole sat behind us, using the empty spot next to her for her purse. I glanced at the beakers sitting on the table in front of us, then glanced back up at our chemistry teacher. I listened intently to him as he went down the list, calling partners out.

"Kennedy Brock and Nicole Grant," he said, and I started tapping my pen quicker.
"Fucking douche," I whispered under my breath.
"And Katherine Johansen and John O'Callaghan." he said, I froze. It felt as if my heart had even stopped. Kennedy and Nicole exchanged shocked glances, and I let out a shaky breath, glancing over at him. He hadn't even bothered to look at me.

Anyone but John. Anyone. Please, for the love of God, anyone. John O'Callaghan. I've known him since Kindergarten. We used to play together all the time as little kids. Our parents have known each other since high school. They were best friends. I haven't shared a look with him since we were five. I was completely head over heals for this boy. But I know how he is. He's a complete and total jackass. All he ever does is drink and sleep around and party. I knew damn well. His house was a few down from mine. I clawed at my desk, my eyes wide and psychotic. Kennedy grabbed my shaking hand after a moment and held on to it, rubbing the top of my hand with his thumb.
"Calm down," he whispered, and I took a deep breath, as if that would get rid of the shallowness in my lungs.

That chemistry class was the longest I have ever had to suffer through. Usually I loved Chemistry, for the very reason of John to saunter in the class room, his tall, lean, toned body making it's way to his seat, leaving me in complete awe. He was so beautiful. His whole entirety was just utterly gorgeous.

"How could that dick put me with John O'Callaghan?!" I almost yelled as Kennedy and I left Nicole at the gardens. We went and sat in the middle of the small hill they had there, and pulled the guitars from their cases.
"Like I know? I'm not too thrilled about it either. You need to stay away from that jerk."
"He's so beautiful, though, Ken." I said quietly, looking longingly into the grass below us.
"No. No John. You're way to good for him. Even if something we're to happen, you guys would never make it. He can't even comprehend the beginning of the meaning of love, Kat. Nic and I won't let you two happen, anyway."
"You don't have to worry about it, Ken. He's never gonna like me, anyway." I sighed as I started tuning my guitar.
"I hope not."
"Thanks!" I said, carrying on the "a" and giving a sarcastic smile.
"Oh, come on, you know that's not what I meant! You're beautiful, Kat, I just don't want someone like him to... Get with you."

I sighed, then shrugged as I started playing a couple chords. Kennedy started in after me, realizing what I was playing.

"Merrily we fall out of line, out of line. I'd fall anywhere with you, I'm by your side. Swinging in the rain humming melodies. We're not going anywhere until we freeze..."

We finished singing the He is We song, and I set my guitar down and laid back in the plush grass, staring up at the sky as butterfly's floated by.
"Have you ever wanted to leave?" I asked, and Kenny froze and looked over at me.
"What do you mean?"
"I don't know. Just leave. Travel the world and stuff. Never mind, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about."
"No, I have. Plenty of times. You know my dream is to be in a band and travel the world, making teens like us happy when maybe they don't have anything else to make them happy." he said, and I sighed and sat up.

"When is the stupid bell gonna ring? I'm ready to get out of this place." I mumbled, running my nails through my curled hair.

"In awhile. Didn't you bring your sketchbook?"
"No. Nicole made me leave all my art supplies back home. I don't know why she thinks she can make me into some pretty girl now."
"Probably because you're seventeen and you've never had a boyfriend, when the majority of Juniors already lost their virginity."
"Well, that's not me. I've never had an interest in any of the guys here, but John. I grew up with everyone here, I know everyone. It would be weird dating any of them."
"But you've known John since Kindergarten. Your parents are best friends, Kat!"
"I know, but it's different with him. He seems so much more..." I said, trailing off.
"Whatever. I don't even care. He's not good enough for you, end of story."
"You're like the brother I never had." I mumbled, running the tip of my index finger around in the grass.

"The bells gonna ring in a few minutes, we should go get our stuff." Kennedy said, then stood with his guitar. He held his hand out to me, and I took it. He yanked me up in front of him, me toppling over into his body. He wrapped an arm around my waist to keep us both from falling, and I looked up into his eyes as I regained my balance. He smiled, then shook his head, before letting me go.
"And Nicole tried to get you to wear heels." he scoffed, and I chuckled.
"Yeah, I know. I told her it was a bad idea."

The two of us went back inside and to our lockers to get the rest of our stuff. The bell rang and within a couple minutes, Nicole was next to us, talking our ear off with some stupid stuff that happened in her last class. I shifted the weight of my guitar on my back as the three of us made our way out to the front of the school.

As we headed to Kennedy's car, I heard someone calling my name.
"Katherine! Hey, Katherine!"
"It's Kat," I called back, rolling my eyes.
"Oh, uhh, sorry, Kat..." he mumbled, as I turned around to see an awkward looking John. I jumped, my eyes wide, as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Hey, uh, so we got assigned that stupid project together... Um, you wanna start it tonight?"
"I, uh, well, sure, I guess," I stuttered out, mentally kicking myself in the ass.
"I mean, if not, that's cool. I just thought tonight since your parents are coming over for a small party my parents are throwing."
"Oh, yeah. Uh, yeah, sure."
"Alright, cool. You can come over whenever, really." he said with his breath taking smile, and I nodded.
"Okay, cool. Thanks," I smiled back, and he took his hand from his neck and shoved them in his pockets.
"See you tonight," he said, and I nodded, before turning and heading back to the car, where Kennedy and Nicole were staring with wide eyes.

"What was that about?" Nic demanded, and I shrugged.
"Nothing. He was just asking something about the project."
"I fucking doubt it! What the hell did that loser say?"
"He just invited me over to his house tonight, since his parents are having a party and mine are going over there."
"No. You're not going over there alone!"
"There's gonna be at least two sets of parents there, Nicole!"
"But you two are gonna be up in his room alone! Don't you dare let that fool make any moves on you!"
"He's not, calm down." I said, rolling my eyes.
"He could! You're so totally hot, Kat!"
"Drop it!" I almost yelled, and Kennedy raised his eyebrows and snickered over at Nicole.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: The One I'm Waiting For - Relient K

Hehehe So, I don't know exactly where I'm gonna go with this. I'm only in the middle fo chapter three right now. And I'm experimenting with my writing style. I'm trying to get it back, because my old writing style used to be really good, and then I took a break from writing and when i started again I sucks butt. SO downloaded a dictionary and thesaurus app on my iPod and so I'm probably gonna be using that a lot now. I'm trying to make it more descriptive. I hope you guys like it. Annnd, I pretty much have no idea's right now, (I mean, I have a few) so if you guys have any ideas you want me to use, or something, I'll listen!

My Spring Break is almost over D': Shoot me. I don't wanna go back. I really don't.

I'm listening to Kid Rock c: teehee I haven't listened to him since I lived in Florida... which was ten years ago...

Okay, well, thanks for reading! You know where the comments go, and I hope you subscribe! I love you all!