Status: Updating

A Trip Down The Long Road

Chapter 4

When I woke up, John was laying on the bed next to me. I could tell that he had been crying because his eyes were all red and puffy. I have never seen John like this before. It breaks my heart to see that I am the one to make him like this. He has always been so strong, weather it means while we are playing in a hockey game and some one hits me or if a guy is messing around with me and I don't like it. He has always kept his emotions to himself and he was known as the big guy who could take anything. It ripped my heart right out of my chest. It made me want to cry right there in front of everyone, but I knew I couldn't.
***John's POV***
I was laying there next to what looked like my lifeless sister. How could this have happened to her? It was just last week that she was at hockey practice with me and the guys preparing for the games that weekend and she was perfectly fine. She was herself. She was cracking jokes on the I've and when it came time for her to step up and do the drill she would go and be the star. Now, she was laying in a hospital bed pale, white, and looking like a ghost. Why was she the one who had to be here laying in this hospital bed? She had so much to look forward to in her life. She was a freshman taking AP classes with seniors. She was the star of a boys AAA hockey team, not to mention being and alternative captain on the team. The junior team would have her out to practice with them because she was good enough that she could be playing junior A hockey only being 14. That is what the guys in the NHL did, but now she gets all of that taken away from her? Now she's stuck in a hospital for a month at the minimum. It's simply not far.
I could feel the tears burning in my eyes just thinking about what has happened to my little sister. It is something that you never want to see. Now instead of her being able to go out with the guys and me after every practice on Friday for a month, she gets to lay here in a hospital bed. She can't even go to the Rangers game with us tomorrow where we get to meet the entire team because we are ranked number one in the country. The entire team has fallen a little bit without her being there and knowing where she is. It's so hard to deal with and I don't even know if my little sister will wake up. Deep down i know that she would never want me to think about her never waking up but it's reality. It might be that I never get to go out and play on the same hockey team as her ever again. I could feel the tears streaming down my face now. Nothing that I could do would stop them, not even think about the good time would stop the tears from coming down my face, it would only make them come down faster.
After about 15 minutes of me crying I could see that she was starting to wake up and I had to stop crying. There was no way that she could see me like this. I had to stay strong for her and show her that I will not give up and I will fight with her. I saw her eyes start to open and once they were fully opened I pulled her into my arms and hugged her. I did not ever want to let go of her. She was my best friend. While I was still hugging her I asked, "How are you feeling? And please don't ever, ever, ever, ever do that to me again. You had me so scared."
I got no response from Tanner, but instead of a response, she hugged me tighter. I know that her being here is killing here because she wants to be out with the rest of the family and the hockey team, like we always did. We were brothers and sisters to eachother considering that we have played together since we have been 5. It was a bond that could never be broken. We were always there for eachother. The guys all want to come and see her, but I don't know if she is up to it. She hates when people see her when she is sick because she looks so week, and this is worse than her just looking week. She was so much worse than just being pale. She didn't look a thing like herself. With her only being here a few days she had already lost a lot of weight, not to mention that she is already underweight but she is very muscular. There really are no words to explain what she looked like. It broke my heart though, she has never looked like this before, and to think of you sister fighting for her life, it's so hard.
While she was hugging me I started to think about some of the times that we were having fun at hockey practice and winning hockey games together and all of the thought about her not being able to do them with me again came back. Before I knew it I was crying again and she was telling me that everything was going to be okay and that she make it, and if not she would know when it was time for her to go.