Status: A work in progress

Nighthunters

Chapter 3

I wake up and find everyone gone but Mia. I get up and quickly change into another set of clothes before slipping on my belt and my boots before putting the leg of my jeans over them. I grab my jacket and my hat before walking over to Mia I shake her shoulder to wake her up.

“Mia time to get up.”I say she lets out a groan before looking over her shoulder at me. I just reach into my coat pocket and pull out my fingerless gloves before slipping them on and opening the door before walking out. I walk up to the main floor and head to the back room. I look around and see all the adults up and looking at a map, the map showed us what parts of LA we have ransacked and what parts to steer clear of because of sharks. I walk over and lean against the wall next to Spencer and Gabriel but facing the adults. After a few minutes Mia walks in and stands next to us then Uncle Ben turns around and motions us over. I push off the wall and walk over we circle around the table and look at the map.

“Alright Mia your taking this house in sector one, Gabe your taking the house in sector two.”Dad said showing them their houses they nod before planning routes and leaving.

“Alright Spencer, Andy your taking this hotel in sector four, it should have something’s in it that might be useful.”Dad said we nodded before taking a good look at the map. We were heading into Sector four which meant we were heading into one of the major hot zones for Shark activity.

“Alright Guys you know the drill a sharks see’s you shake them, also get here before sunset or you spend the night out.” Seth says we nod before heading out being careful that no one saw us sneaking out of the house because if they saw then we would be sent off to the camp, where most people that were still alive were placed that’s one reason why we are really careful another reason was that they could shoot us dead. I fix the bill on my cap and look around, this place looked like a ghost town the only signs that there was anyone here is the bones of the dead. The sharks never picked up the bodies they thought that anyone who was alive needed to be shown what would happen to them. The only thing that really bugged me back then was the smell; it seemed that no matter where you went that’s what you smelt. We use to come back smelling like rotting corpses and no matter what you couldn’t wash off the smell because it was like it seeped into your pores and stayed in your skin. Eventually we got use to it and it disappeared as soon as the bodies had turned to bones.

We keep walking to our destination when I hear the sound of an engine I just held my fist up and kneeled down. Spencer stopped right behind me and it came closer so we hid behind some loose scraps. I look up slightly to see a truck and when it passes us I look up and see some people in the back of the truck. The unlucky ones, the ones who got caught they were getting sent to the camp half of them wouldn’t live past a few days because they were so skinny and looked sickly.

Just then one looks up and they must have saw me because they look me in the eye and the persons eyes were hollow and I knew that look, my father had it for a while after the sharks attack and mom never made it back. In a second the person glances back down at the truck floor and the truck disappears around the corner. I motion for Spencer to go ahead and he walks in front of me, we cross the road quickly before heading to the hotel. We walk to the front of the hotel and I quickly pick the lock while Spencer kept watch. I managed to get the door open and we head in hotel.

“So what are we going to pick the locks of all the rooms?”Spencer asks I walk over to the desk and lean over it before grabbing the keys. I grab a set of one floors keys and toss them to him.

“You get third I’ll get second.”I say he nods and I grab the second floors keys. I walk to the stairs and start heading up them fairly quickly. I wanted to get in and out before any sharks found us. I make it to the second floor and Spencer just walks past me heading up to the next floor. I walked down the hallway and stood in front of the closet door and I looked for the key before putting it in the lock and opening it. I walk into the room and raid the mini bar I find a few things but not much. After I head to the bathroom and I look for anything helpful but come up empty handed. I just walk out and head to the next room my pickings are a bit better I manage find some water bottles and I looked under the bed and find a switch blade and a smile graces my lips. I had my Bowie knife but you never know when you’re going to need a back up. I slip it in my bag before walking out and repeating the process.

Eventually I start hearing voices, I push my back to the wall and inch my way over to the window, I peek my head out only to see a few sharks. I pull my head back before trying for another peek, my eyes widen when I realize what they were trying to do. I get down and quickly make my way out of the room before running down the hall I get to the stairs before bounding up them quickly just trying to find my cousin. I manage to make it to the third floor before looking for an open door. I find one finally and I see Spencer searching the room.

“Spenc let’s go.”I hiss out and he just looks at me.

“Why.”

“Sharkies are going to blow this place sky high.”I say and he looks at me before grabbing his bag and we head to fire escape. I slip through the window with Spencer on my tail. I quickly make it down the flights of stairs before getting to the ladder. I get on and hit the latch with my foot causing the ladder to slide down. It stops and I use the momentum and back flip off it. Spencer then jumps down and we start running. We only get a few feet before getting knocked down and our bags slide away from us. I keep my head down and so does Spencer. Just then we hear a few voices and I hold my breath as they get within spitting distant of me.

“Well look here man looks like we got some scavengers.”One shark says

“Were scavengers, their dead now.” Another says lightly nudging me in the ribs with their boot.

“What do you think we should do with them?”The first one asks

“Leave them, if the vultures don’t get them then at least no more will come back and fuck around here, trying to pick it clean.”The other one says

“What about the Boots.”The first one asks.

“Their kids the boots are too small they aren’t of any use, let’s go.”The other one says and they walk away, we wait a few minutes before slowly getting up and making a run for it. We grab our bags and run straight out of Sector 4, only when we make it out of there do we stop and catch our breath.

“You okay.”I ask.

“Yeah, you.”Spencer asks and I nod before we start walking. We keep walking after a while the sun started setting dangerously low before we made it to the house. We pull ourselves through the window just as Seth was about to shut it.

“What the hell happened to you guys.”He asked and I just looked at him.

“Long story.”I say and we walk into the back room where I see my dad and Uncle Ben talking, I knock on the doorway and they look up and see us.

“Are you guys alright.”Dad asks I nod before handing him my stuff and Spencer handing his bag over. We tell them what happened while we tape ourselves up.

“Oh we decided to sleep in the panic room tonight.”Uncle Ben said and we nodded before heading down to the panic room. We get down and I flop on my mattress.

“Holy shit I thought you guy got captured or killed.”Mia said looking at us.

“Nope you’re stuck with us for another day.”I say before Spencer starts telling them what happened and I just drifted off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't see a lot of readers but i just want to know if this story is any good or if I'm wasting my time posting this. I've also have gotten worried that my characters have either gotten to 'Mary sue or for the guys Gary Stu' so if you please tell me that would be great. Thanks ZOMBIE