Status: On Hold.

The Moon Goddess of Middle Earth

Chapter Four

The next morning I dressed and joined Frodo and Gandalf for the meeting. Frodo sat on the end of the oval of chairs with Gandalf next to him. I was about to seat myself next to Gandalf when Elrond called me.

"Sit by me, my child," he spoke gesturing to the seat near his.

"Why?" I asked slowly. "What are you planing?"

He chuckled, "You are too clever for your own good, Nikita."

"Elrond," I warned.

He sighed, "I though now would be the perfect time to tell the others about your abilities, Nikita."

"No. I do not want that information falling into the wrong hands, Elrond." I said shaking my head.

"There is no one here we cannot trust, Nikita. Please."

I looked up at Elrond's pleading face and sighed. "Fine. But I don't like this." I took my seat and the others began to crowd around, finding their own chairs.

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you've been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor." Elrond paused. "But first I would ask Nikita to inform us on something she holds to be valuable information. Nikita."

I stood and slowly removed my hood. "I do not wish to share this information as Elrond implied. I'd rather it remain between him and I, but I now see that keeping such a thing hidden would hinder us all." I touched the pendent around my neck. "I look human. I bleed like one. I even feel like one. But I am not as much of a man as any of these men seated here." I gestured to the men of Gondor and Strider. "I posses a power given to me on my sixteenth winter. A power given to me by the mother of the moon."

"Never heard of such a thing before," growled one of the Dwarves.

I whipped my head around to glare at him. But it wasn't me that was angry with him. It was her. "Tell me, Dwarf, have you heard anything about the dangers that lurk beyond Gondor before Elrond sent for you?" He shifted uneasily. "I thought not. The walls of your mines and skulls are too thick to hear much more than the gold you thrive for."

"I do not believe I've heard much of this either," spoke Strider.

I glared. "And you need not. All any of you need to know is I have a ritual every night and that rituals to not be disrupted unless absolutely necessary."

"Sounds like witch craft," grunted the Dwarf again.

She hisses and throws her arm out and willed the air around the Dwarf's skull to compress. He gasped and clutched his throat. "I am no witch! I am a goddess! I will not stand for such naive-ness from those who know of my powers!"

"Nikita!" Elrond said grabbing my shoulder. I dropped my hand and the Dwarf began to breath again. I wobbled and blinked a few times. "Nikita?"Elrond asked, softer now.

I pulled my hood back up. "That's why I didn't want to do this, Elrond. I cannot control her."

He nodded, "Sit." Elrond returned to his place. "Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction," he said, changing the subject back to the Ring. "None can escape it. You will unite, or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom. Bring forth the Ring, Frodo."

Frodo slowly got up and placed the Ring on the small pedestal before Elrond. He then retreated back to his seat by Gandalf.

"So it is true."

"The doom of Man."

"It is a gift," one of the Men said leaning forward in his seat. "A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this Ring?" He got up. "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor kept the forces of Morder at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him."

"Oh, please," I grumbled.

"You cannot wield it," spoke Strider. "None of use can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master."

The Steward's son, who I presumed was Boromir from what I've heard, narrowed his eyes. "And what would a Ranger know of this matter?"

A blonde Wood Elf jumped to his feet. "This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance."

Mine and Boromir's eyes widened as we looked at Aragorn. "Aragorn," breathed Boromir. "This is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor," the Elf spoke again.

"Sit down, Legolas," Aragorn spoke in Elvish.

Boromir sneered as he sat back down. "Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king."

"Aragorn is right," Gandalf spoke up. "We cannot use it."

"You have only one choice," agreed Elrond. "The Ring must be destroyed."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" asked the Dwarf I attacked earlier. He took the ax shattered and sent the Dwarf back into his seat.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here may possess," frowned Elrond. "The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came." He paused. "One of you, must do this."

Boromir shook his head, "One does not simply walk into Mordor. It's Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The Great Eye is ever-watchful. It is a barren wasteland riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breath is a poisonous fume. Not with 10,000 men could you do this. It is folly."

Legolas jumped to his feet again. "Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond just said? The Ring must be destroyed."

"And I suppose you think you are the one to do it!" snapped Gimli.

Boromir stood. "And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?"

Gimli jumped up. "I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" Everyone else stood to say their part. But even over the ramble I could hear Gimli. "Never trust and Elf!"

Sighing I shook my head at the men. Always the first to throw their weight around. Though I noticed the only two who didn't seem to fight were Aragorn and Frodo.

I watched Frodo as he stared at the Ring for a long time before jumping to his feet. "I will take it!" He tried to shout over the voices. "I will take it!" He said louder and the Men's voices ceased. "I will take the Ring to Mordor. Though, I do not know the way."

I stood. "Dear Frodo," I cooed walking to him and kneeling to his height. "Allow me to accompany you on your journey. I will protect you with the hand of the Goddess." Frodo smiled and nodded. I kissed his cheek and straightened back up.

"I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear," Gandalf said as he stood next to the Hobbit.

Aragorn then rose from his chair, "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will." He knelt in front of Frodo. "You have my sword."

"And you have my bow," agreed Legolas.

"And my ax," grunted Gimli and joined our little group.

Boromir stepped up, "You carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the council, then Gondor will see it done."

"Here!" shouted the familiar sound of Sam's voice. He raced out of his hiding place and up to Frodo's side. "Mr. Frodo's not going anywhere without me."

"No indeed," smirked Elrond, "it is hardly possible to separate you, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not."

"Oi!" Merry shouted as he and Pippin also came running to Frodo's side. "We're comin' too! You'll have to send us home, tired up in a sack to stop us."

"That could be arranged," I teased Merry, messing his hair.

"Anyway," continued Pippin, "you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission. Quest. Thing."

Merry eyed him, "Well, that rules you out, Pip."

"Ten companions," Elrond said looking at us. "So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring."

"Great!" smiled Pippin. "Where are we going?"

I shook my head at the clueless little man as the the others scolded him. Elrond explained a few more things before he dismissed the council meeting. I quickly disappeared into the shadows of the forest and climbed one of the many trees. I did not wish to be apart of the group any longer. I felt guilt and anguish every time I looked at one of them. After the display of me choking Gimli I could tell they thought I was a monster.

I stayed in the tree for a long while. Darkness was approaching when I heard footsteps approach the tree.

"Nikita, would you please come down," spoke Arwen.

"Don't you fear me?" I asked her.

She shook her head, "No. I do not. Now come down here."

I climbed back down and dropped down next to her. "Why do you not fear me, like the others?"

"The other's do not fear you!" she exclaimed.

"And why not?"

"My father explained to them that you could not always control your powers," she frowned.

"Great! Now they think I'm just some child with a sword," I huff stalking back up to Rivendell.

"They don't see that either," Arwen said, keeping even pace with me.

"Then what?!"

"They see a strong woman willing to fight for her beliefs and freedom."

Sighing I slowed down. "I wish I was normal sometimes, Arwen."

"I know," she said touching my shoulder. "But we cannot waste time on such wishes. Embrace what you have, Nikita, and you will become someone great."

I nodded, "Tell me. You don't go out into the forest to find me for just this, Arwen. What is it that you need?"

Frowning she took my arm and pulled me to her room. "I need to speak with you."

"About what?" I asked placing myself on her bed.

She sat next to me. "I'm leaving. My father is sending me with the other Elves to sail to the undying lands."

"Arwen," I breathed. "No! No! You can't go!"

"I must," she whispered.

"But what about Aragorn?"

She let out a sigh, "I have a touch of the gift of foresight. And I have seen his future."

"Are you-"

"I am not present, no." She frowned. "And I must ask you to watch over him for me, Nikita. He will always have a bit of my heart. And I know one day he shall give a bit of his away again."

"Even if he does, Arwen, he won't forget you. He'll always love you," I say hugging my friend.

"I know," she murmured. "And I need you to help him. For me."

I nod. "Of course."

She smiled, "Thank you. Now go, you need rest and to preform your ritual. You have a long journey ahead of you."

I get up, "Good night, Arwen."

"Good night, Nikita."

I left her room and made my way outside. I shed off my cloak and stand beneath the moons rays. Warmth rushed through my body and my skin began to glow.

"Oh my."

I turned and saw the Fellowship and Elrond standing within the shadows. I felt anger surge through me but it was my own. The Goddess in me felt proud of this and pushed my anger down.

"You are a...Goddess," breathed Gimli.

"I did not know I would have company," the Goddess in me spoke. "I would have prepared a better ritual for such an occasion."

"You look pretty, Nikita," smiled Pippin.

I chuckled at the Hobbit, "Thank you."

"How do you do it?" asked Merry.

"Now. Now. I'm sure we all have questions, but they can be answered tomorrow," Elrond stepped in. "Let us leave the Goddess to preform her ritual and questions may be answered tomorrow after we've rested." The Men, Elf, and Dwarf left and the Hobbit's followed after a hug from me. The only two left were the wizard and Elrond.

"You spoke with them?" I asked turning back to the moon.

"They seemed to be more at ease with a little explanation," Gandalf spoke. "They now understand a little more about your actions and Gimli has already forgiven you. He knows you had not meant to hurt him."

"Thank you," I murmured.

The Wizard and Elf then left me alone to finish my ritual in peace.