Letting Go

A new start.

Looking back on those nights, they seemed almost surreal. Laying in the grass with the sky and stars blanketing them. No words were passed between the two, emotions flared as the two's lips connected for brief kisses. Their hands entwined with each other and she let out a sigh of contentment.

She looked into his eyes, the smile just reaching her eyes, “You won't let go, will you?”

“Never,” he whispered, pressing his lips against her forehead.


That had been a lie. In Anneliese Marie's short life, she had come to realize that the phrase “never say never” was nothing short of the truth. That was the last night that the two spent together that didn't involve disputes. The relationship that was once so lovely and inviting has dissipated and turned into one she never imagined being trapped in.

Even so, she still yearned for him. She still wanted every part of him in the palm of her hand, she wanted to fall asleep by his side night after night. He had walked into her life, and left footprints and reminders everywhere. For months after he left, she stayed trapped under his influence.

It was time to end this sick cycle of dependency.

The memories that held onto her had to be eliminated. She swept through her house, collecting the miscellaneous objects that had spawned off of the relationship. All of their photos, and the little letters that they would write to each other were collected in front of her, she pulled one of the letter out of the pile, deciding to torture herself one more time.

Hello dear,

I hope you know, you've made my year, right? I love you so much and all that jazz. I can't wait to see you again, and I hope you enjoyed today. It was quite possibly the most amazing time I've ever had, and I promise you, that's the truth.

Sincerely,
You know who. (;


A smile graced her lips, that was their first new years together, where they had slept under the stars. The tears welled up in her eyes, threatening to spill over. She laid the letter aside, unsure of herself. Could she really destroy all of these memories? That’s all that was left, all she could remember. She picked up the letter and stared at it for a while, her mind thinking over the options so sporadically. This was it, she had to do it.

She gripped the top of the letter and split it down the middle. The tears started running down her cheeks. She wiped them away and picked up another letter, which soon met the same fate. Letter after letter, photo after photo, each memory was ripped apart. Each memory was cast away and left to fade. It was over.

A new start began in that moment. The ropes that had held her down for so long were cut, and she was released. She let out a sigh and stood up, dumping all of the discarded paper into the trash, it was time to start over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading<3