I Can't Make You Love Me

001

I sat and watched him walk away.

“I just don’t understand.” He said, I could see the hurt in his eyes. “I thought we were happy.”

He turned around one last time, and I couldn’t keep my face at an indifferent expression anymore. I started crying, and it wasn’t just tears slowly rolling down my cheeks. It was ugly sobbing, I was letting the first man that I ever loved walk away. All because of opinions not held by me, I used to not care about any one else’s opinions. But I let them get to me for once in my life, and in me letting them get to me I let him go. I felt the bench shift a little beside me, I looked up and it was Rebecca. My best friend and one of the opinions that I let get to me.

“It hurts I know.” She murmured putting her arm around my shoulders as I continued to cry.

“Why?” I sniffed.

“Why what?” she asked softly.

“Why couldn’t you just let me be happy?” I asked.

“Kim I-“

“You should have been my friend, that’s what you’re supposed to be. I never said anything about when you dated Trey, who ended up cheating on you. I mean I wanted to say that, but I didn’t. And I was there for you when he did!” I was getting hysterical. I was too late in realizing I shouldn’t have let my friends be so involved in my relationship. And it was hitting me hard.

“Kim, you know it was for the best.”

“Best for whom? You like that I’m single, I can be there when you need me again. Not that I was never not there. It’s fine, you have your friend back. But your friend is broken, and just so you know. It wasn’t the guys’ fault.” I said and got up walked back up to my apartment. I didn’t even turn around to give a glare or anything; I was starting to slip into angry mode. The only person I know who would listen and calm me down was who I dialed on my phone as I closed my front door behind me.
__________________________

“Seriously dude?” Tanner asked looking genuinely surprised.

“Yeah, she seemed so not like her usual self. But as I walked away I saw her crying. I just don’t understand…” I sighed then took a sip of my beer.

“Michael, what was the reason she gave you?” Tanner asked shifting in his stool.

“She said we’re from 2 different worlds, and we’re too different from each other.”

“You guys are exactly the same.” Tanner said with a straight face.

“I know! She was probably the first girl that has ever made me feel this way.”

“Well, you know I always thought you guys were good together. Despite some of her friends reactions to you guys and your friends too.” He shrugged taking a drink.

“I suppose that’s where the 2 worlds came into place.” I sighed

“I’ll cover you tonight if you want.” Tanner offered.

“No, I don’t want to think about it too much. That’s how guys get depressed and become bed ridden.” I smirked, knowing that’s something she would have said if she were here right now.

“Man, you guys were just so happy it seemed. I mean you met her parents, she met yours.”

“Yeah, I feel like I just said I didn’t want to think about this too much right now.” I said with a smirk. Then I finished off my beer.

“I’m sorry.” Tanner said looking down.

“It’s not you, this just sucks. I’m going to head home for a bit, see you at work.” I said grabbing my coat and heading towards the exit of the bar. I walked out to the parking lot and saw someone standing near my car. I hoped it was her, maybe she’d realize she was being stupid. That she didn’t mean anything she had earlier,

“David?” it wasn’t her.

“Hey Michael.” He said leaning on his car.

“Uhhh, what can I do for you?” I said stopping where I was.

“Why did you break up with Kim?” he asked crossing his arms over his chest. David wasn’t very big; he was about the same size as me. But I’d seen him get angry, and there was only one person that could calm him down. And she wasn’t here,

“I didn’t.” I sated.

“Then why did Rebecca tell me that’s what you did?” he quit leaning on his car.

“Look I have to work in a few hours, this has already been a shitty enough day as it is. Please don’t come to me with bullshit to make it even more shitty.” I stated and started walking to my car.

“I knew there was a reason I didn’t like you.” David stated, thankfully there was a car between his and mine.

“Well I didn’t really care if you liked me, I wasn’t dating you. And it was Kim who dumped me, get your facts straight.” I said unlocking my door, and starting to open it and get in.

“You better not be lying to me Michael.”

“I don’t lie, go ask her.” I said right before shutting my door, and starting my car. As I drove away, I was truly starting to feel the effects of earlier events. Making wish I could talk to her even more.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is short. But the rest of the chapters will be longer.