I Can't Make You Love Me

003

“Michael, what are you doing tonight?” Tanner asked as he was taking dishes to the kitchen.

“I don’t know, why?”

“Well, a few of us were wanting to go out for drinks. I feel like you probably need it considering the circumstances.” Tanner said stepping to where I was.

“No I don’t.” I stated with a smirk.

“You’ve found a new girl already?!” Tanner exclaimed loudly.

“No.” I said shaking my head.

“Um, okay. So why don’t you need to get drinks tonight?”

“Because I’m hanging out with Kim tonight.”

“So you guys talked.” Tanner leaned up against the wall.

“Yeah, she apologized. It was our friends, mainly hers.” I said picking up some of my tables’ plates and carrying them out to the floor. I saw when I got to the table I was waiting that 2 more had joined the table. It happened to be friends of Kim, and one of those didn’t care for me at all.

“Hello, can I get you something to drink?”

“I’ll have a diet cherry coke.” The guy said.

“I’ll have a water.” The girl answered without looking at me, the rest of the people noticed. A few even made a face,

“Can I get the rest of you all anything?” I asked ignoring her.

“We’re good thanks!” a big guy named Brock said, trying to lighten the mood. I walked away to get their drinks, when I came back around the other way I heard part of their conversation.

“Well, she doesn’t need to be with him. His friends don’t like her, they’re rude.” The girl was stating.

“Here you guys are.” I said and set the drinks down. “You guys ready to order?”

“Yes.” They all said in unison. As I look their orders there were 2 stares that were fixed on me, but not in a friendly way. I decided by the end of their visit that they were the cause of Kim thinking she had to break up with me. It had been a few days since she and I had talked. She told me she wasn’t going to tell them about us. Because she didn’t want them butting in again. And clearly she was putting on a good act of being sad and alone. Because they were angrier than I was. I also didn’t tell my friends that Kim and I were back together. I didn’t want the same thing happening, because the truth in fact was my friends didn’t like Kim just as much as Kim’s friends didn’t like me. It made me think of what could have caused their dislike for each other.

“Where’s Kim?” I asked in Tanner’s ear, it was loud in Charlies’. I had been looking for her for about 10 minutes.

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me!!” someone yelled.

“I think I hear her.” Tanner said nodding in the direction of the yelling.

I walked towards it and saw Shauna and Kim squaring off, Shauna was known for being a bad ass. But this was only the second time I had brought Kim out with my friends. They didn’t know Kim was crazy if given a decent reason to be.

“You got a problem?” Shauna asked with a smirk. I looked at Kim, and saw her hair and shirt were wet.

“I won’t if you apologized for being a sloppy drunk and spilling on me.” Kim said as Rebecca was handing her some napkins.

“Well, if I were drunk then yes, but I’m not.”

“So then just apologize then.” Kim stated stopping what she was doing.

“You shouldn’t have been in the way.”

“Oh really bitch?” Kim was getting angry.

“Hey come on, just apologize Shaun, be a lady.” Beck was reaching for Shauna who could barely stand up.

“You know what, that’s cool. Bitch gonna get my hair wet, like I’m one of these white girls she steps to.” Kim said starting to walk away.

“I don’t fight in bars, I never have and I’m not gonna start today.” Kim said walking towards me.

“Fine with me bitch.” Shauna slurred, thinking that would set Kim off. But Kim knew Shauna was just drunk.

“What happened?” I asked as she walked up to me looking extremely angry.

Your friend spilled her beer on me, and got my hair wet. She’s fucked up.” She said as Rebecca handed her some more napkins.

“Were you guys dancing or something?” Tanner asked.

“No I was just standing there and the bitch sloshed her drink over my head. And then looked at me like it was my fault.”

“Did you get wet too Rebecca?”

“No, just Kim. I think she meant to do it.”

“Now I fucking smell like beer.” Kim was getting angrier by the second.

“Want to go to the bathroom?” I asked them both, they glanced at each other and then glanced around.

“No.” they said in unison.

“I’m ready to go.” Kim said it in the tone that I learned later that it meant that the decision was made. No matter what you thought or wanted.

“Ok, we can go. I’ll just let the rest of them know I’m leaving. Tanner ju-” I was cut off more liquid being thrown in our direction. Most of it landing on Kim and Rebecca,

“You’ve got be fucking kidding me!” Kim yelled.

“Shauna, what the fuck are you doing?!” I asked turning around to see Beck trying to pull her away.

“Stupid bitch!” Shauna yelled at Kim.

“Fuck this shit.” Kim said getting up and heading for the exit. The bouncer stopped her though before she could get out the door.

“Why are you all wet?”

“There’s a drunk bitch in there throwing drinks on people you should probably go get her before she starts a fight.” Kim stated before stepping outside.

“Shauna is going to kill you.” Tanner said handing Rebecca more napkins he snatched from the bar before we walked out.

“I don’t give 2 shits. She poured a drink on me and called me a bitch. I don’t even know her or what her fucking problem is.

“I do.” Tanner stated, glancing at me, and I shot him a look.

“What?” Rebecca asked as we started to walk towards the parking lot to my car.

“I’m not drunk enough for this.” Kim said pulling her hair back.

“Hey you black bitch! You fucking got me kicked out! Come over here so I can kick your ass!” Shauna yelled from behind us.

Kim kept walking, I don’t know how but she did.

“You scared? You dumb black bitch!” she yelled again.

“I’m not going to jail over some dumb shit. Michael get your friend.” Kim stated. Tanner and Rebecca had stopped by the car.

“I’m not understanding why all this is happening.” Rebecca stated as I unlocked the car. I looked at Tanner, who had his mouth open to say something but my look stopped him.

“I don’t even care anymore I just want to go home so I can get this smell off me.” Kim said getting in the car.


I then saw Shauna walk in for work. I was glad I was getting ready to get off.

“Hey Michael.” She smiled as she walked by.

“Hey.” I said undoing my tie, and pulling out my phone to call Kim.

“Hello there.” She answered.

“I’m leaving here, I’m going to go shower then be at your place.” I said walking out to the parking lot.

“I made your favorite.” She said, I could hear the smile in her voice.

“Give me ten minutes.” I said before hanging up. I wasn’t going to tell my friends for sure. If that meant sneaking around or keep our relationship a secret from those who supposedly cared about us most, then oh well.