Poisoned Magnolias

Celest “Lestat” von Wolfbane

“Celest we should take shelter!” Dreng called behind me as I sat on my new found horse, Scead, while looking over the cliff. The Kingdom of Seaver look just the same as I left it five years ago, maybe a bit larger with the growing villages, but it was home. “The sky seems to be growing worse. We should look for somewhere to rest before the rain comes,” Dreng brought his horse besides mine.

“Can you believe we’re finally home?” I said looking down at the villages and then up at the castle. A month ago I thought I was going to die in the explosion and I would have if Dreng didn’t run after me and thrown us, well me, into the moat. After that it’s all a blur, really. Though according to what Dreng tells me after fighting off the Fey Queen to come after me he seemed to have lost all consciousness. Just like me the next thing he remembered was waking up in a room with me, it’s a mysterious event to say the least. From then a few people nursed us back to health, but it was always when we were unconscious so I never saw their faces. Yet we were tended to and given food till we recovered fully, well at least one of us. I wonder who took care of us; whoever it was also gave us horses, clothes and money for the journey home. I looked at Dreng taking notice of the new scar on his left cheek, his wound from saving me. “Why take shelter when the manor isn’t that far from us?”

Dreng narrowed his eyes, “I don’t want you getting drenched and catching a cold.”

I laughed as he roughly placed my hood over my head, “Twenty-one years old and I find myself with a male mother figure.”

He scowled while placing his own hood up, and right before the material covered his features I saw a smile on his face. Ha, I know he loves taking care of me despite his constant complaining. “Remember it’s this male mother that saved your behind on that bridge.”

“And I owe you my life for it,” Or what’s left of it. Sighing I moved Scead to begin walking down the trail. He trotted alongside Dreng’s horse, Synn. “You know I bet the whole kingdom thinks we are dead.”

“Well it’s been long since the men should have returned,” he said, “and if they tell his highness about the explosion of course people will think we died.” I nodded while ducking from a branch, “how do you think the prince and princess took the news of are apparent expiration?”

“Cinnia would have cried.” I said.

“True, true.”

“And Orvin…” I thought about he’d react to my death, “well he wouldn’t cry in public. But then I’m not sure if he’d cry by himself. He is the prince after all, he needs to be brave and not show weakness.” Dreng didn’t respond, but appeared to be in deep thought, “Race you to the village,” I said and then I was off. Scead ran through the trees as Dreng and Synn followed behind trying to catch up to us. The sky began to rain as the horses raced down to the village. Breaking passed the trees into town I slowed Scead to a stop while Dreng came beside me, “I win.”

He looked at me and shook his head, “come on. Let’s get to the manor.” He kicked Synn and went flying down the muddy covered road. Rolling my eyes I sent Scead right after him and we caught up quickly. Scead is the faster horse out of the two. As we raced I thought of Orvin and how he’d be after hearing about my death. Would he be upset? Most likely he would. I still remember how he tried keeping me from leaving.

”Did you tell the prince where we will be stationed?” Dreng asked me as I put my armor on.

I clamped my chest piece on, “No. I don’t want to tell him such trivial things.”

“The front line isn’t trivial Celest,” Dreng retorted, “It’s the death zone for all knights.”

I let out a breath before turning to look at him, “but I’m not just any knight.” He silenced as I stared him down. Dreng has always been there for me for everything, even volunteered to come with me when the King told me about being sent off. So I guess you can say Dreng is a very loyal friend. Turning my back to him I walked out of the room and began walking down the corridor. “You know you don’t have to come with me.”

He laughed, “of course I have to go. Someone has to keep you from slipping your secret up.” He stopped and then looked behind him. “I left our helmets in the room.”

“Well that’s depressing since we will surely need those,” I mocked him as he swore and ran back to the room. Sighing at his forgetfulness I continued to walk down the corridor taking everything in before I set off. The garden, the rough pillars, the fountain, just about everything I could sear into my brain.

“It’s not too late to relinquish your position you know,” my eyes shot to the source of the voice. My gaze landed on Orvin who was resting against the brick wall. “Just a thought is all.”

I sighed and leaned on the pillar opposite him, “an outspoken thought,” and here we go with trying to convince me to stay.

He glared, “One that is true.”

“One that is unneeded,” I countered, “When will this game end Orvin? I’m heading to war and that’s final.”

”Lestat you can’t be serious,”Orvin said looking at me with a serious expression, “If you go out there you’ll be killed.”

As if I wasn’t aware of that already, “Then I will die to protect the kingdom, it will be my honor.” I could see anger flash across his features as he moved off the wall.

“Why are you saying that?” he growled at me as I watched him carefully. His fist clenched and shaking at his sides as he tried controlling his emotions. The desperation for me to was stay clear in his actions and posture.

Looking back at his face I could see he was trying to read me, “because it my duty to protect this country.” Yes it’s my duty as it was all the former Wolfbane Captains duty. My blood is bound to serve the royal family and the country no matter what the cost is.

Even if the cost is my life I will accept it.

“Duty,” he scoffed, “duty is overrated.”

His word angered me, “Then it’s my birth right,” I snapped, “It’s my birth right to go out and defend this country just as yours is to be prince. King even, so don’t go mocking predestined actions in the face.” My words seemed to strike something with him, but he didn’t have a chance to retaliate. With his clamped shut his sister came up to me with a flower in hand and a frown on her face. I glanced at Dreng who was behind her and then back at the princess, “Don’t frown Princess. It doesn’t suit your face at all.”

A true statement. Cinnia was a beautiful young girl, all most the spitting image of her mother. Cinnia is like the little sister I never had and it pained me to see her sad.

She looked at her hands and then held the flower up to me, “come home safe.” She looked a little embarrassed as I took the flower and smiled at her.

“Of course,” I said to her. Because I have absolutely no plans on dying anytime soon, I thought to myself.

She gave a small nod before rushing off in a hurry. I laughed to myself not realizing that Dreng moved to my side. “We are late for the sendoff. If we linger any longer the horses will become a problem.” He whispered to me.

“Well have they been properly stretched?” I whispered back.

“Well… yes, but they have been out for quite a while.”

I let out a breath, “fine, I’ll be there in a moment.” He nodded and then handed me my helmet before walking off. Turning to face Orvin I notice him watching me intently, “It’s time for me to depart so is there anything else you’d like to say? A final attempt to keep me from leaving perhaps.”

He didn’t answer as he was thinking on what to say before looking away from me, “No. Even if I tried you wouldn’t listen to me.” So true.

I nodded and pushed myself off the pillar while tucking my helmet under my arm. Glancing at Orvin I took account of the sad expression on his face. “As long as I’m Wolfbane and you are Prince I will be by your side.” He looked at me and I gave him a small smile, “I promise I’ll come back.”

He looked away like he didn’t believe a word I said, “What are promises but empty words for dreamers. If anything I order you to come back,” I widened my eyes at his word, Was he serious? Ordering me to come back? “Come back alive.”

He was really ordering me to come back. I guess since he knows I can’t refuse an order he has to stoop this low. How hilarious. I let out chuckle and bowed before him, “As you wish my prince.”

I heard him sigh before coming towards me touching my shoulder, “come. The crowd has waited long enough.” I nodded and we walked through the corridors together in silence before parting. He went to the balcony with his family and mine while I went to the court yard entrance where all my men were. Standing in the shadows I took a look at all my men that have put so much faith in me to lead them into battle. Then my eyes went to the commoners that came to see his majesty’s army off.

These are the people I fight for, I said in my head letting my eyes fall on a child holding their mother’s hand. Yes, this is my path, to protect this kingdom. Stepping out of the shadows to the courtyard the crowd roared for their most promising knight. Walking straight for my horse I handed Dreng my helmet before saddling my steed. She neighed as I placed the flower Cinnia gave me in her mane before Dreng handed me back my helmet. Placing it on I lifted the visor so my men could hear my voice.

Turning my horse to face my men I yelled, “Attention!” they straightened up immediately at my command. Somehow I felt strange and looked up at the balcony to the royal family finding Orvin’s gaze resting on me. A very worried expression gracing his face. He knows, “Forward,” they faced me as I turned my back to the balcony, to Orvin, “March!”


Slowing down the pace we trotted up to a dark manor in a nostalgic fashion. Smiling to myself I hooped off my horse and walked up the steps banging loudly upon the door. Waiting a few moments the door opened revealing a gruff looking man.

“Who are you to wake me up so late?” he bellowed making me giggle like a child.

“Do you not recognize your own blood?” I asked and he pulled my hood from me revealing my now somewhat long brown hair that reached my shoulders.

His eyes searched mine as his large hands hovered over the sides of my face, “C-Celest?” his voiced wavered.

I smiled, “Does a bed of roses make a great place to sleep?” I said and something flashed in his eyes, probably thinking about all the memories of me sneaking off to sleep in the garden when I was a child. His strong arms wrapped around me pulling me into a tight fitting hug that didn’t leave me much room to breathe.

A splash came from behind me as a throat cleared, “Do I not deserve credit for returning too?” Dreng said.

My dad laughed ushering Dreng into the manner, “Come quick and warm up. I’ll start a fire,” he beamed walking quickly to his study.

I smiled watching him go when Dreng nudge my arm, “We need to contact her” he whispered. I nodded and walked through the house and exited through the back door into the garden. With Dreng following me through the rain I approached a small pond beside a willow tree. Grabbing a pouch tied to my belt I dropped a powder into the pond before pricking my finger. Letting my blood dripped into the water I watched as the water began to glow and a being morph itself out of the pond. Long black hair appeared followed by a head then flowing elegant dressings.

Breath taking silver eyes fell upon me, “I knew someone as strong as you wouldn’t die,” she smiled.

“Flatteries aside I would like to give my thanks for bringing up your side of the promise,” I bowed my head.

A giggled echoed, “You whisper such swooning words for a woman.” I felt a hand lift my chin making me go eye to eye with the Fey Queen, “I feel your aura weakening.” I averted my eyes and she hissed, “You dare not inform me of this?”

“The promise was you’d keep my men safe when I returned your child. I did not include myself in the agreement.” I looked at her, “with this we shall part ways.”

A smile cracked her tight line lips, “If you wish I can remove the-“

“No. I have nothing left to give you anyways.”

“You can give me your service.”

“No,” I broke her hold and un-wrapped the bandage around my neck. A ghastly black ring marked my skin, “I will accept my fate.”

With a nod the beautiful Fey woman began melting back into the pond, “I shall wait for your reconsideration,” then she was gone.

Letting out a breath I wrapped my neck back up when a hand touched my shoulder, “You didn’t-“

“I didn’t want you to pity and baby me Dreng,” I said calmly. “I figure I have about two weeks left and I don’t want to be restricted or to have others pitying me. I want to be me till the very end.” I looked at Dreng, “Please keep this a secret. It will be the last one from me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Two in one day! well I'm happy ^_^