Poisoned Magnolias

Celest “Lestat” von Wolfbane

Escaping the crowd that surround Dreng and I in the room I snuck out and wander to the back into the garden’s labyrinth. Panting while walking rather unsteady I undid my collar and started un-wrapping my neck’s bandages in a hurry. Three days, THREE DAYS! And my throat is beginning to feel as if it’s on fire, but not only that it itches like hell. I can’t help but claw at my skin till it goes raw or until Dreng stops me. Dreng, poor Dreng, two days ago he found me writhing on the floor clawing at my neck and so he begged me to do go to the Fey Queen. He said that he believe she favors me and would help me without pay, but I don’t believe it. The Fey people are cunning beings that have a price for everything they do.

Reaching the middle of the maze a fountain sat a few feet before me, almost beckoning me to it. Stumbling forward I discarded my mask and went to my knees dunking my head in the water till the water soaked my neck. The water stung my fresh cuts from this morning but helped the burning somewhat. Running out of air I whipped my head back out of the water. Taking a deep breath I felt the water from my hair run down my neck stinging my wounded skin. Running a hand through my wet locks I looked down at the water eyeing my reflection. The black marks on my neck looked more like tightening vines on my skin causing me to frown. Whatever this illness is it physically appears to be choking the life from me.

It would seem that both on and off the battle field my hands are to be slathered in blood. First it was those of my enemies and now my own. Gritting my teeth I felt the burning begin again. My mind was telling me to fight the immense pain, but my body wasn’t listening. In seconds I discarded my gloves and found my nails scrapping against my skin. It was painful, it was joyous, it was completely mad. Tears weld up in my eyes as a low giggle slipped through my lips. One could say I look as if I’m two steps away from the gallows with my ludicrous behavior. Then again I might as well be with what fate has bestowed upon me. A maddening laugh escaped my mouth as the burning slowly faded till it was at a tolerable level, leaving tears to continue sliding down my face.

With my mouth agape, a cold sensation washed through me as I felt myself begin to shake with the grim realization of my actions. My fingers had that familiar wet, sticky texture I’ve come to know so well over the years. Slowly I looked upon my own hands to see it dyed a crimson color. I shook more as I eyed the blood that seemed to glisten in the moon’s light, it was like Death himself was telling me something secret. A subtle whisper to me if you will, telling me, that if I die, it’s to be by my own hand.

My hand found its way to my neck tracing over some new scars, recent scabs and wet scratches, “Is your pride really worth your life?” I noticed another reflection in the water making me go to my feet. “I’m not here to threaten you,” the masked person held up their hands.

“Who are you?” I growled clenching my bloody hands into fists.

He stared at me, “You don’t…” he trailed off moving his eyes from my face to my neck, “with the looks of your neck I figure you won’t last more than six days.” He quickly took out a handkerchief and stepped towards me applying it to my neck. “Though it you don’t stop the bleeding you may just die in a few hours.”

Six days? The thought made my heart fall into the pit of my stomach, “I thought I had more than that,” I sat down on the fountain’s ledge. “Six days,” I breathed out. “How do you know?” I asked while looking at the man.

He looked at me and paused in his movements for a moment before continuing to pat down on my wounds. “I’ve seen this before. It was common in my village.” He moved back, put the cloth in the fountain and rinsed it. “As for you, it seems you have caught a bad case of it,” he proceeded to wipe the blood from my neck.

“What is it that I have?” I asked staring down at my red hands, “I wish to know.”

He sighed beside me, “a poison. Some kingdoms use a unique poison that is mix in with the smoke of bombs. It typically works its way into the lungs and burns wholes allowing blood to enter and so causing the infected to suffocate and drown.” I could feel myself turn white as a sheet at the man’s words. Is that what I have to look forward to? “As I can see from you, you will most likely be one of the few that rips their throats out.” I frowned as he once again rinsed his cloth, “I’m sorry. I doubt this is the news you’d wish to hear.”

He stood up from his spot and squatted before me, “If that is the truth, then that is all I wish to know.” I watched him nod and then take my right hand, wiping it clean.

“If you don’t mind, I could try and aid you,” he said now finishing wiping both my hands.

I stared at him and he stared at me, but the only feature I could see of him was his thin lips. For some odd reason this one feature I could see fascinated me. My thoughts sort of flew away till I heard him cough bringing me back. I could not tell if it is shame or embarrassment that went through me, but whatever emotion it was enough to make me look away. ‘Damn, what is wrong with me? Why did my eyes just freeze upon looking at his lips?’ I glanced back at him to see him wringing out his cloth for a final time. As I watched him my eyes seemed to wander back to his lips making me once again look away, ‘what is wrong with me? Why do my eyes narrow in on him? Is it because I’m ill? Or is it because it’s the only thing I can see that isn’t his mask?’ my thoughts screamed in my head.

“Your answer?”

I looked at my hands, “there is no help for a man like me.”

“I believe otherwise.” There was a hit of something in his words, but I couldn’t tell what it was.

Looking to him I harden my gaze, “you dare contradict me,” I growled.

He opened his mouth when I heard Dreng calling for me. The man scowled and pulled something from his side and stuck it in his mouth before coming to me. He grasped my shoulders and dipped his head into the crook of my neck. Suddenly I felt something wet slither over my skin causing me to panic and completely freeze. When he started to move to the other side of my neck I felt my strength return letting me push the man back. My right hand clamped on my neck while the other went over my mouth as I realized what he hand done. I could feel heat rise in my face when my mask was in front of me, “You should hide your burning face lady knight.” I snatch my mask back and placed it on when his words sunk into me. Lady Knight.

Quickly looking up I found him gone leaving me completely alone. That’s odd… how can a person disappear so fast? Picking up my wrap from the ground I started wrapping my neck back up pausing in the spot where he licked me.

“Lestat!” I heard Dreng call me making me quickly finish wrapping myself up and fixing my collar. “There you are,” I turned to see him at the walking towards me with a man following behind him. Dreng came in front of me and placed a hand on my shoulder; “are you alright?” concern laced his voice. “It’s not… bothering you is it?”

Thinking for a moment I realized the burning on my neck had completely ceased. ‘But when?’ I thought when I remembered being licked, ‘he did something.’ Looking back at Dreng I noticed he was still waiting for my response, “I’m fine.” Feeling a little violated, but fine nonetheless. Looking past Dreng I eyed the man standing still, “And who are you?”

The man smiled behind the mask, “The only man to ever be able to slice the air,” he waved his hand around.

“Marrok,” I smirked walking up to my best archer.

“The one and only,” he pulled his mask off while giving a rather frivolous bow. Chuckling to myself he stood back up and removed my mask before pinching my cheek, “so Sir baby face cheated death.”

I grimaced before launching my fist up punching him right below his chin. Releasing me he stumbled back and fell on his ass, “You have some nerve Marrok.” I growled feeling a vein in my forehead throb in annoyance.

He sat back up rubbing his head, “same as always aren’t you Lestat,” he laughed. Standing back up he handed me my mask as he went to find his, it had flew away when I punched him.

Shaking my head I placed my mask on then turned back to the fountain where for some reason Dreng was standing. His attention was completely on the water and his expression was rather soft. Confused I walked beside him and looked at the water only to see it ripple, but an odd feeling came over me. Looking closely I noticed the fish seemed to have vanished which isn’t natural for a lone fountain. As I eyed the water I noticed it ripple again in an odd fashion causing me to move forward. Curious I reached out and sunk the tips of my fingers in the water trying to find the cause for the movement. Almost instantly my body froze as something with large scales moved under my touch. “What is this?” I breathed in astonishment.

“I do not know myself,” Dreng said beside me as we kept our eyes on the water. Whatever invisible being that was swimming in the fountain seemed to grow fond of my hand. Every moment or so I’d feel a nudge against my palm, almost as if a feline was wanting one to pet its head. “Is the beast friend or foe?”

“It appears very friendly,” I murmured as I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be golden eyes. I wonder when this beast came into the fountain. It must have been when the mysterious man left for he would have noticed it when he put his hand into the water. Yes, that has to be so. Smiling to myself I felt its long body flow under my hand when it seemed to pick up speed making the water thrash. Dreng pulled me back till the water settled and then released me. Returning to the water I stuck my hand in and felt nothing. Feeling disappointed I backed away and looked to Dreng, who, was holding my gloves out for me. Taking them from him I slipped them on and then straightened out my mask, “let’s return. I shouldn’t keep you from all the maidens that wish for a dance.”

“He isn’t the only one luring the eyes of women!” Marrok shout at us making Dreng and I laugh. Falling in step with Marrok the three of us worked our way through the labyrinth. Marrok spoke of the days where everyone believed we were dead. He said the princess weeped many a nights while the prince was a cluster a negative emotions. I wanted to laugh at the news of Orvin’s behavior, but something in me couldn’t allow it. The duty side of me could not allow it. As prince he should always appear refined, even when the circumstances are of loss. He will need to understand this for when the time comes, which may be in six days. In short time the three of us entered the courtyard and slowly made our way inside to the ball.

Women danced and spoke to the men whilst other formed groups to gossip about the other guests. All was well until a group of women spotted Dreng, Marrok, and I. As if on reflex they immediately swarmed us and clucked away with questions and flirtations. Being a woman I found no advance at all interesting and only wanted to be out of the cluster. Skirts and bosoms pressed toward me were enough to have me run for the hills, and yet I stayed. Hoping, begging, one friendly face would pulled me for impending disaster about to occur. “Sir. Lestat,” a woman murmured into my ear, she was also dangerously close to me. “Care to join me for a telling of tales? I believe a fine young man as yourself have many to spin.”

Looking to the woman she smiled and ran her fan down the front of my coat. Taking a breath I stepped back from her, “I must apologize, but I believe I have another matter to attend to.” The woman pouted as I move from the cluster towards the thrones where my majesty sat. Standing before him I bowed, “if you allow it your majesty. May I ask the princess for a dance?” As she is the only woman that is able to keep the many prowling ladies at bay.

The King let out a hearty laugh, “of course Lestat.”

Looking up I nodded at the King before turning to Cinnia. She smiled as I held my hand out to her, “princess. May I have this dance?”

She nodded and sat from her seat, “of course.” Cinnia chimed as she walked down the few steps and took hold of my hand. With a smile I lead her to the floor where we took place with the others, “I’m happy you are back, Lestat.”

“As am I,” I smiled at her as we started dancing. She laughed with each spin, and giggled when I found myself tripping over my feet. What can I say? We don’t practice dance on the battle field. We laughed with each other as we danced and a few times I noticed the women and my men gape at me. I’m not surprised since I usually keep a rather serious composer amongst the court, but they do not need to gawk at me. I’m not some exotic animal. Stopping in place I clapped my hands and tapped my foot as Cinnia strutted around me. As she circled me I could not help but notice how much she’d had grown. Besides the normal growth in height, her face was the spitting image of the Queen and it made my smile falter a tad.

It’s not that I am not happy for her, no, it is just that the more I notice her changes the more I realize what I had missed. As the years were cruel to me, they had been pleasant to her, and if I could change that I know I would not. For a girl as delicate as her I know Cinnia wouldn’t be able to stand the sights and misfortunes I have. For my duty requires not only a strong heart, but body as well. Cinnia, as much of a sister as she is to me, has only a strong heart. The rest of her might as well be described as a new born deer, so defenseless. The music began to slow and then the dance stopped leaving Cinnia suddenly wanting more.

“One more dance, Lestat?” she asked with hopeful eyes.

I opened my mouth about to answer when a hand was placed on my right shoulder, “I’m sorry Princess.” Lady had cut in, “But there are special people that wish to meet our new honorable knights.” She took Cinnia’s hand, “trust me Princess when I say you will want to be seated.” Lady smiled as Cinnia nodded and then lead her away back to Cinnia’s seat. Confused I followed the woman and came upon Dreng.

“Do you know what people wish to greet us?” I asked him and he merely shook his head. Daft, I waited in front of the royal family as some of the guards were telling guest to move to the walls. Other guards cleared the outside entrance before moving far from them. “Dreng,” I muttered his name when Lady took to the front.

“My people,” She smiled, “please do not worry as for no harm will come to you. This is a sight only three others have seen. So please, feel blessed.” She then went still leaving the room in silence. I looked to Dreng about to say something to him when a roar ripped through the garden. My head turned towards the entrance when the ground shook and the torches’ flames roared as they grew. In a slow motion the flames spilled down from their perch and poured down like water converging on each other.

As the flames collided together a figure began to form, “Is… Is that a dragon?” Dreng said beside me as the flaming beast stood before us. Its tail weaved about the room when the sound of rushing water drew my attention to the entrances. Water flowed into the room and then went about to crawl up upon the walls and ceiling. And just like the fire dragon a dragon formed from the water and stared down upon everyone. My eyes watch the two beasts as their tails accidently collided making them hiss at one another. Both strayed from the people, but seemed to encircle Lady as if protecting her.

Glancing at Lady I notice her eyes firmly locked on me, just waiting to see what I’d do in front of the magical beasts. My eyes left her and gazed upon the burning dragon, its black eyes watching me intently while it’s whiskers flowed out. Without thought I took a step forward towards it and as I did it lowered its head to me. Up close its head must have been the size of a carriage, maybe a carriage and a half. Looking upon the beast I stretched my hand out and hesitantly touched the snout.

“Lestat!” Marrok rebuked from behind me.

“You are not burning,” I whispered and its black eyes peeled as if it approved my touch. Looking to the water dragon I notice Dreng before it, completely taken. It would appear the pull I had to the fire beast is the same Dreng has towards the water one. While looking at Dreng I felt the beast next to me nudge me with its face. I shook my head and once again gave the dragon my attention. As I touched the dragon I could hear people chatter about when a growl emerged from the fiery one. It pulled back and looked to the outside growling. Backing up I watched as the fire broke apart and then returned to its torches. A loud hissing came from the water dragon as it moved from Dreng to Lady, circling her with its tail.

“Please,” Lady said placing her mask upon her face, “enjoy your evening.” Once she finished a wind and water ripped through the room as the beast flew to the outside. The court started chattering loudly, but ceased when the King clapped his hands. He began speaking and I tried to listen, but my feet rushed me out to the court yard. Something in me wanted to see where Lady and the dragon went, but there was nothing to see. Nothing, nothing but the starry night sky. Running my right hand through my hair I heard a step come from behind me.

“You never appear to remain in one place,” a deep voice said making me smirk.

“I do like to roam,” I said as the person stepped beside me, it was Orvin. Looking at him I watched him smile, “I heard your behavior was far from what a royal should be like.” His smile faltered, “I understand you were upset at my supposed passing, but even in death a royal must appear refined.”

He laughed, “Your sense of duty hasn’t change a bit.” I narrowed my eyes at the Prince, “can a man not be crestfallen over a friend?”

“A man yes, a Prince no.” I shot him a stern look, “you best learn this so it does not happen again.” He gave a sheepish smile and a nod, “good. Now let’s return to the party,” I spun on my heel and the two of us made our way back in when I stopped and began coughing.

“What is the matter?” I heard Orvin asked a few feet in front of me. Turning to my side I coughed one last time and opened my eyes to see red liquid beside my boot. My eyes widened a bit as I felt something in the corner of my mouth. Licking it I tasted blood, “Lestat?”

My eyes darted to the blood on the ground. Fearing he’d notice it I stepped upon it before turning to him, “I’m fine. Just a bit perched.”

“Is that so?” I nodded, “well let’s get up a cup of wine then.” He patted my back making us move forward. No doubt the trail of death closely behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this has to be my longest chapter
Anyways thanks to my 3 recs, 12 subs, & 1 commenter
I love you all
Anyways
Please comment, subscribe, and reccomend!
^_^