Status: Just getting started; stay tuned

Mile High City

Garden of the Gods

“Varly!” the brutish defenseman called out. “Why are you checking your phone so much, huh buddy?” he teased with a knowing grin.

He put the phone back in his bag. “Don’t worry about it Shane.” He replied with a grin.

“Who is she?” the bright-eyed rookie jumped in.

“She pretty?” Shane added, perpetuating the teasing.

“She is very pretty.” He retorted, giving them only enough to keep going.
He turned in his seat so that his back was facing his teammates.

“Goodnight!” he announced over their probing.

The flight got in late. He splashed his face with cool water before collapsing into his bed. He reached over to his phone to find a new message.

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow! :o)”

He chuckled to himself and typed out his response.

“I’ll come at 11. Now go to sleep )))”

The boys had the day off because of the road trip they’d just been on. She hadn’t seen him since the night she decided it would be kosher to plant one on him. It was out of character, but she didn’t regret having done it. Fortunately for her sanity, he continued to talk to her
over the course of the past few days.

She watched hockey for the first time that weekend. It amazed her. She’d never seen something so elegant combined with such chaos. He seemed like another person on the ice. So serious. So focused.

A knock interrupted her thoughts. She answered the door and was met with the tall, blue-eyed boy. He raked his hand through his light brown hair and shoved his hands in his pockets.

“Hi.” He said quietly.

“Hi.” She said, matching his soft voice. He flashed a toothy grin, exposing his dimples. He was effortlessly handsome. The weather had been surprisingly nice for a Colorado spring. He donned beige cargo shorts and a loose v-neck tee. He didn’t have a very large frame, but was obviously an athlete.

“What are we doing today?” he asked, his eyes growing wide with curiosity. She said nothing and smiled as she took his hand, gently, in hers and led him down her dorm hallway.

He buckled up on the passenger side of her truck. She rolled down the windows and turned on the radio. She grinned expectantly, noticing his grimace as he heard the country music coming through her speakers.

He covered his ears, teasing her.

“You can change it!” she giggled. He didn’t hesitate to find another station.

“You get comfortable!” she suggested. “It’s a little bit of a drive…”

His idea of getting comfortable involved looking at her for the entirety of the drive and singing to what he did know of each song.

She’d look over to him, only to find him staring. He’d look away, unashamed and quite pleased with the blush he’d induced. He’s drift into sleep eventually.

He awoke just in time. He looked out the window at the vast mounds of red rocks surrounding the car. The landscape unfolded in front of him. Massive rock formations, mountain side filled with aspen.

“Where are we?” he asked, amazed by what he was seeing.

“We’re quite a ways south of Denver. It’s called the Garden of the Gods.” She explained.
He sat up to take in the scenery as she drove up the thin, winding roads. Satisfied with the spot she’d picked, she parked and began unloading a few things from the trunk.

He quickly intervened to help carry the heavier items. She confidently led the way. She left the trail and climbed atop a boulder. She turned to him, holding her arms out to take the things from him so he could climb up himself.

Both finally settled atop the blanket she’d placed on the flattest surface. He remained silent, thoughtfully looking all around him.

“Pretty incredible huh?” she asked softly.

He looked at her and smiled real big. “I’ve never seen anything like this.” He eyed her curiously as she reached inside the cooler she packed. She poured two cups of lemonade and handed him one. He sipped it slowly. It was sweet and delicious; fresh-squeezed.

She was sipping her lemonade with her hands at her side, and felt his hand rest on top of hers. She looked to him and smiled bashfully. His eyes remained fixed on the large masses of red rocks around them, and his fingers laced through hers.

“Thank you for taking me here, Emily.”

“You’re welcome.” She beamed, giving his hand a light squeeze.

She closed her eyes and tipped her head back to take in the gentle breeze. A smile formed on her lips as she soaked in the moment. She heard Varly shift a little, and his hand came
free from hers.

Before she could open her eyes to see why he’d let go, she felt him on her lips. He placed his hands at her sides and held her small waist tightly. He’d only place one soft kiss on her lips before pulling away. She finally opened her eyes and was greeted by his blue-eyed
gaze.

He moved one hand to the small of her back and cupped her face in the other. He didn’t push it. He nuzzled his nose against hers, looking for some indication that he could kiss her again. She gave him the in he was looking for, and moved her face closer to his so that their lips would touch if she so much as smiled.

And she did.

Before she could grace him with a full grin, he’d pressed his lips to hers again. He kissed her upper lip and gently her lower. She beamed between each and he returned the smile. He’d only placed a few small pecks on her lips before he’d pull away, placing one hand around her shoulder.

He lightly traced circles on her shoulder. She took the hint, and slipped her fingers through the hand draped over her. He kissed the shoulder nearest him before resting his chin atop it. She turned to look at the happy face looking up at her.

“I should get you back.” She admitted, obviously deflated. He reluctantly nodded. He pulled
out his phone.

“Picture first.” He grinned. He smashed his face against hers to get both in the shot and snapped a photo. She laughed and stood first.

They finally made it back to Denver around four o’clock. He walked her back to her dorm, taking deliberately small steps to lengthen the time.

“I had fun. Thank you Emily.” He beamed, his smile lighting up his entire face.

With less hesitation this time, she leaned up towards his face to leave a kiss on his cheek.

“I did too!”

“Now I take you somewhere you’ve never been!” he declared excitedly.

“Where is that?” she asked.

“A hockey game!” he responded with a wink.
♠ ♠ ♠
http://www.jessleephotos.com/stwind_MG_1167.jpg
A glimpse into the Garden of the Gods