Status: Just getting started; stay tuned

Mile High City

Honky Tonkin'

She tapped the steering wheel excitedly and pulled into a side street to park. She got out and met with him by the side of her car. She took his hand in hers and gently pulled him toward the street.

She glanced at him, his smile indicating he was anxious to see where she was taking him.

His eyes seemed to register the neon sign hanging above the building they were approaching. “Grizzly Rose” The music was booming and a line of people sporting cowboy boots waited behind velvet ropes for entry. He looked to her and her smile remained intact, her strides becoming longer to bring him to their destination sooner. He shook his head and chuckled to himself. He felt like a fish out of water in the line of ten-gallon hats and button-up shirts very different from his own. She squeezed his hand.

“It’s going to be fun. I promise!” She smiled, batting her eyelashes. Her shoulder nudged him as if to say “just hang in there”.

Finally gaining entry, the brunette led her tall Russian friend to the dance floor. She went straight to the DJ and leaned in to request a song. The man nodded his head and smiled knowingly, his eyes looking to her well-dressed guest.

Right on cue, the song finished and began playing Blake Shelton’s “Hillbilly Bone”. Varly was thrust into the crowd of people invading the dance floor. It wasn’t like most night clubs he’d been to. Few were grinding on each other, and most were separated by some level of space, dancing with their partners. He examined the room, taking in the wooden floor,
smoky air, and mechanical bull getting used in the corner.

He watched as Emily sang each word to the song, amused by her taste in music. She took both his hands in hers and guided his dancing, helping him shift from side to side. He admired her boots shuffle across the floor, side to side, heel to toe. She grabbed his waist by one hand and extended the other outward like a pair would to dance in a ball room. She led him around the dance floor playfully and dipped him like a man would his female partner.

He liked the way her hips swayed to the music. The way she tipped her head back to sing a line, letting her hair fall back. She would pinch her nose and puff out her cheeks as if she were underwater. Her carefree dancing helped him feel more at ease. He grabbed her waist gently and bobbed his head from side to side enthusiastically. They carried on this way for a few more songs—dancing, laughing.

They took a couple seats at the bar. She excused herself for a moment. He admired the neon lights around the bar, the cow hide décor, the paisley patterns—it reminded him of some of his teammates. He felt something atop his head and realized Emily had returned. She placed a hat, much like the ones he’d been chuckling about all night, on his head with one hand and extended the other to take him out to the dance floor. He knew he looked ridiculous, but she had looked so pleased with herself he didn’t care.

She placed her arms on his shoulders delicately and moved to the slower song that was now playing. He pulled her closer by the waist, and she let her arms hang comfortably around his neck. Her gaze was over his shoulder, but she was focused on how it felt to be held by him.

“Are you having fun?” she asked softly.

His lips grazed her ear as he leaned down to whisper back.

“I’m cowboy!” he laughed, his breath heating her neck.

She turned to face him and smile back in response. She nodded.

“You have a new style now!” she laughed, tapping the rim of his hat.

He chuckled and shook his head, pressing his nose to hers. They realized the song had finished and a blush crept onto her cheeks, noticing the other dancers now moving faster.

“Well, I guess hockey-playing cowboys need their sleep too.” She grinned, noting the late hour.

He nodded and looked to be disappointed he couldn’t stay longer. He laced his fingers through hers and walked by her side to the street.

They turned the corner to the side street she had parked on. She drove back to the Pepsi Center where his car was left. They rode in contented silence, stealing looks at each other when the other wasn’t looking. She got out of the car to give Varly a hug before he walked to his own car.

He wrapped her up in his arms and pressed his lips to her smiling ones lightly. She ran a hand through his hair and caressed his cheek.

“Goodnight, partner.” She grinned with a Southern-drawl.

“Goodnight.” He laughed, pressing his lips to her nose for one last kiss.

He got into his car and started the engine. She watched as he fastened his seat-belt. His blue-eyes met hers as he tipped his hat and winked before pulling away.
♠ ♠ ♠
A shorter chapter! I always appreciate feed back :). More soon!