Status: Next update (at the latest): 11/4

The Capitol's Tribute

The Proposal

“Well, come on over, my dear!” Caesar chuckled, holding out his hand for me. I put on a winning smile and strutted over to him, beaming at the audience. They couldn’t get enough of me. Caesar motioned to the plush, comfy red chairs and we took our seats.

“You look absolutely radiant, if I do say so myself.” Caesar commented, looking me up and down. “Absolutely radiant.”

“You’re too kind.” I grinned, “I love the color this year,” I motioned to his hair, “It matches my tribute parade dress perfectly.”

Caesar leaned in, clasping a hand to his chest, “I think its fate.” The crowd guffawed together. We allowed the crowd time to have their fun before settling in and the real interview started.

I smoothed out the ruffles on my dress and caught Finnick sitting in the front row with all the other victors and important citizens of the Capitol. He smiled encouragingly at me but I only felt sick. Directly next to him was the vicious and gorgeous Johanna Mason. She glared suspiciously at me again. In the center of the front row sat the newest victors, Katniss and Peeta. Katniss sat calmly, hand in hand with Peeta. Peeta furrowed his blonde brows at Finnick, and then turned to face me, pursing his lips.

“You look stunning, Rixa Hart. You really do.” Caesar commented theatrically. He moved in a bit, glancing around dramatically, “But, let’s get down to business.”

“Let’s.” I nodded, feigning excitement.

“I think I speak for everyone when my heart broke when you and Brant were chosen.” He glanced around, giving everyone in the audience time to agree emotionally. I smiled sadly.

“Thank you.” I nodded, “That’s very sweet of you, but I guess it all boils down to this: The districts rebelled and no one born in the districts is safe, no matter how much time they spend in the Capitol. I was angry at first but now I realize that this is the price we pay for the Rebellion.”

The look on Caesar’s face secretly told me that was a safe answer. His blue eyes prayed that I knew I was being watched scrupulously. I flashed him a quick knowing smile.

“I think we were all a bit misty eyed when you and your brother were reaped.” Caesar said solemnly, staring straight into my eyes.

“I was definitely a little misty eyed.” I joked lightly, catching Haymitch cracking a grin despite himself.

Caesar reached out for my hand, petting it comfortingly. I pursed my lips, not wanting to talk about the reaping, or anything else for that matter, in front of these nosey, carefree Capitol citizens.

“You asked for volunteers, Rixa,” Caesar said, quiet enough to sound like we were having an intimate conversation but loud enough for the audience to catch onto every word. “Not for yourself—but, for your brother. How did it feel when no one spoke up?”

It was time to turn on the sympathetic charm. “Absolutely devastating.” I sighed mournfully, “Brant and I are the means of survival for my Ma and the twins. One of us won’t be coming back and it will either be the one who brings in the money or the one who takes care of our family now that our dad and older brother are gone.” Like clock-work, I allowed a tear to slip down my face before casually wiping it away. I was going to milk this for all it was worth, pretending that being up on this stage for the Capitol’s amusement was everything I could dream of. I was going to make them cry over my pathetic story and sponsor Brant and me.

Caesar nodded emphatically, “You’ve suffered many losses already. If you won, how would you cope with Brant’s death?”

It was an unsettling question. I hadn’t really thought about how I would cope with Brant’s death because I had no intention of surviving. But, I couldn’t say that. That wouldn’t get us sponsors.

So, instead, I glanced at the audience with puppy-dog eyes and whispered, “Honestly, I don’t know. Death isn’t something you can prepare for. It just creeps up on you and takes away everything you love.” I swallowed, feeling a very real lump rise in my throat. “No amount of glory or money will make up for Brant’s life so I just don’t know what I would do without him.”

I thought about my words as Caesar bowed his head, peering solemnly at the audience for special effect. My words were getting to him, that was what he was telling them. If he believed, they should too.

“That’s terrible.” Caesar licked his lips, looking sadly at me, “Truly terrible.”

There was a prolonged moan as someone in the audience broke into tears. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from breaking character.

“You’re been with the Capitol for how long?” Caesar suddenly changed the subject. I went along; he was a professional crowd pleaser. I trusted Caesar to play with the Capitol’s emotions to get us sponsors.

“About five years.” I knew what was coming.

“I can’t imagine how the people of the Capitol must be feeling that you’re being sent into the arena. You’re practically one of us!” Caesar looked disgusted.

I smiled lightly, shaking my head. “I was shocked when I was chosen. But, my name was still in the Reaping. Nobody from the Districts is immune. I was foolish to think otherwise.”

Caesar shook his head, smiling despite himself. He stared at me like I was something unheard of. “You are a very brave girl, Rixa Hart.”

I thanked him quietly, waiting for the moment.

“But, no one can be fearless forever.”

It was coming, I could feel it. I was also starting to get nauseas.

Caesar grinned mischievously, “Is there a special someone you turn to when it’s too much? A certain victor, perhaps?”

Before I could stop myself, my eyes strayed to Peeta sitting in the front row. He furrowed his blonde brows at me, unsure whether he was the certain victor we were referring too. With all my heart I wanted to say yes, Peeta was the one who picked me up when I fell down, the one who held me when Jay died and promised things would be okay. But, today, Finnick was playing the part of Peeta. And I despised myself for what I was about to do.

“I guess the secrets out.” I muttered, shifting my gaze to Finnick. He nodded shortly before putting on the smile that made the Capitol fall in love. “Would you like me to bring him up here?”

Caesar smiled bashfully, shrugging, “Well, I’m really not supposed to have anyone but the tribute up here, but how can I say no to either of you?”

I forced the happiest smiled I could muster before standing up. Peeta peered up at me with his big blue eyes, thinking I was walking towards him. Instead, I held out my hand and batted my lashes, “Finn, come on up.”

I couldn’t bring myself to glance back at Peeta, to witness his reaction.

Caesar stood up, starting an uproarious applause. Finnick waved to the crowd, bowing ceremoniously to them, drinking all the attention in because it was what the Capitol wanted. He was always so good at playing his part. Finnick was the most self-less person I knew.

Finnick greeted me happily after jumping buoyantly up the stairs to the stage. He smiled brightly at me, though I could tell he wished he didn’t have to do this. I was right there with him.

“Hey, Rix,” He chirped to me, pecking me on the cheek. Caesar guffawed heartily, embracing Finnick in warm hug and handshake.

“Hey,” I said back, my hand clasping around his when Caesar released him. Finnick squeezed it comfortingly.

“Sit, sit!” Caesar begged and we obliged. Finnick wrapped his arm around me and practically placed me on his lap. Our sweaty hands were clasped together and our faces were conveniently located inches from each other so when the moment was right, we could kiss.

I had never felt so uncomfortable in my life.

“It’s always a pleasure to see you, Mr. Odair.” Caesar grinned proudly.

“Please, Caesar, how many times have I asked you to call me sugar cakes?” The crowd fell into a fit of laughter. I couldn’t help but smile, Finnick was always cracking jokes, even under pressure.

“Apparently not enough.” Caesar answered, crinkling his nose. He sighed contently, drinking us in. “So, we’re all dying to know. How did this Capitol-perfect couple start?”

I glanced over at Finnick, dryly thinking: Well, Caesar, Finnick was selling his body for the Capitol, per usual. I was backstage for my first gig and Finnick ran into me while hiding from his clients. I was eleven. Finnick was nineteen. It was love at first sight.

But, I didn’t say that. In fact, Finnick was the one who spoke.

“It happened gradually. At first, I couldn’t stand her.” He chuckled to himself, “After awhile, she grew on me.”

I rolled my eyes, smirking at Caesar and then the audience. “Such a liar. He,” I poked Finnick pointedly in the chest, “Was the nuisance. I’ve always been perfect.”

Caesar threw back his head, laughing along with the crowd. “Quite the pair you are!”

“He chased me when he wasn’t being chased by his adoring fans.” I grinned, pretending to reminisce on some false memory.

“She was always so jealous of them.” Finnick clucked his tongue, “She never realized she was the only one who had my heart.”

Aww,” Caesar cooed. “Aren’t they just too adorable?” The crowd agreed heartily, whooping and hollering. My eyes made contact with Haymitch. He gave me a significant look; it was time to make this look real. Haymitch passed onto Finnick and nodded.

I smiled madly before grabbing Finnick by the tie and smashing my lips against his. The room seemed to shake with screams and cries. They wanted more and more. Nothing would ever satisfy their desire to be pleased.

Finnick’s lips moved against mine hungrily. I kissed back. It was all just sickening.

When Finnick pulled away, he gave me that lop-sided grin that made every Capitol girl’s heart melt.

“I hope you don’t mind that we’re stealing the show right now.” Finnick joked to Caesar.

The host shook his head wildly, “I wish it would never end!”

I wished it wouldn’t either. When it ended, I would be that much closer to the arena.

“I have something I need to say.” Finnick declared, standing up in front of me. “Do you mind?” He asked Caesar.

“Not at all, my boy.” Caesar leaned back in his chair to watch.

Finnick nodded before grabbing my hand and getting down on his knees before me.

“We’ve known each other a long time, Rix.” He started. I silently begged him to tell me what he was doing. Panicked, I glanced over at Haymitch. He looked on stoically.

“Yes,” I answered hesitantly.

“Ever since the day I met you, I knew you were the one.” Finnick sighed contently, lying through his teeth. “And ever since that day, you’re all I think and care about. I love you so much, Rixa Hart. And I can’t lose you. Ever.”

I gulped. He was such a good actor, even I felt teary eyed.

“You’re going to win the Games. I know you will.” He smiled sadly, “But, before you go. I need you to make a promise to me.”

I was seriously about to vomit when he pulled something out of his pocket: a small, velvet box.

No, no, no, no. This wasn’t happening.

“Do you love me?” Finnick questioned, looking up at me with broken green eyes.

“With all my heart.” I choked, wishing he would stop. My time was up; we should have left the stage already.

“Then make me a promise.” Finnick begged, opening the box, “When you get out of the Games, marry me.”

There was a collective gasp in the audience. Time seemed to stand still as they waited on the edge of their seat for my response.

My hand flew to my chest, it felt constricted, like I couldn’t breathe. I tried to speak but my voice wasn’t working. His eyes begged me to forgive him for this, that this wasn’t his idea.

I side glanced at Haymitch again and knew that that bastard had come up with this brilliant plan. I could kill him.

I felt tears of anger and confusion spill out of my eyes. They probably looked like overwhelment or happiness to the daft Capitol. They couldn’t see my distress. All they saw was what they wanted to see.

I placed two shaky hands on Finnick’s face and did the only thing I could do. I kissed him again.

When I pulled away, he asked, “Is that a yes?”

I nodded fervently and the audience went mad. It felt like the whole room was spinning. Clapping and whistling filled my ears. I could hear Caesar yelling, “If that isn’t the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen, then I don’t know what is!”

Finnick placed a large diamond ring on my finger, before standing me up and embracing me tightly.

Amidst all the confusion and noise, Finnick whispered softly into my ear, “Rixa, I’m so sorry.”

I wanted to scream at him, to punch him, to do anything then stand there vulnerably hugging him with a promise to wed him after the Games on my right hand. But, I couldn’t. Instead, I told him, “I won’t live to go through with it.”

That was a promise.

I pulled away before he could say anything else. We smiled like mad, thanking Caesar for letting us share our special moment with all of them.

“It’s a dream come true,” I squeezed Finnick’s hand, “Besides me being sent to the Games tomorrow.” I joked lightly.

Caesar glanced enviously at us, wrapping the interview up, “We wish you luck. If you don’t have the most sponsors ever, then I’ll sponsor you myself!”

I giggled and thanked him. The buzzer finally went off. Probably ten minutes too late.

Walking off the stage, I thought hopelessly to myself, how could Brant possibly top that?

I guessed that was Haymitch’s point. He didn’t want Brant to top it.

He wanted me to win.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, lordy! Have I been a naughty writer or what?
Hope you guys don't hate me too much for not updating for, like, two months.
The moment you've all been waiting for has arrived: the interviews!
I hope they weren't too disappointing for the heinously long wait. :/
Good news. Rixa's heading to the Games pretty soon. That's exciting (:
Keep commenting and subscribing. I enjoy it immensely!
Oh, and rec me! (: