Status: Next update (at the latest): 11/4

The Capitol's Tribute

The Capitol's Tribute

The cold elevator began its decent to S3. I watched the red number on the top of the elevator flicker, numbers counting down as I neared my destination. Being underground always made me queasy. Ever since Jay’s death I hadn’t particularly enjoyed being below the earth.

S3 popped up with a faint ding and I practically ran from the death trap. Being in a larger area made it a bit easier to breath than a five by five cramped space with iffy ventilation. I took in a deep breath through my nose to calm myself down. As released it, a familiar voice beckoned me.

“Rixa Hart.” I glanced up to see my prep team. A man named Flavius with orange corkscrew locks, clad with purple lipstick stood by with scissors in his hand. Two women, called Venia and Octavia, were standing by next to him. Venia had spiked blue hair, gold tattoos lining her brow and Octavia was a plump, young woman with her entire body dyed a light olive shade of green.

They smiled kindly at me, looking me over. A surprisingly satisfied look graced their faces. “Much better than last years.” Flavius commented, circling me.

“I don’t know what to do with her.” Venia sighed contently.

Octavia crossed her arms, smiling, “I guess we should just call Cinna.”

They seemed ecstatic by my clean and perfect Capitol appearance but a shade disappointed that they were out of a job this year.

“Damn.” Flavius muttered, picking up the glittery touch pad phone.

“You’re too pretty for your own good.” Octavia joked, starting to pack up her things.

“It’s a good thing for you.” Venia reassured me as if I was offended by their compliments. “The sponsors will be piling it. Being the prettiest tribute has its advantages.”

“Your Capitol status and connections won’t hurt either.” Octavia nodded.

“Thank you.” I told them, used to being showered with compliments by clients. “You’re too kind.”

“I think we’re raised Rixa’s self esteem enough, don’t you think?” A deep, friendly voice echoed as a pair of metal doors slid open. “We don’t want her to get too cocky before she gets to the arena. Looks will only get someone so far.”

I could always leave it to Cinna to bring me down to earth. “You sure know how to make a girl feel special.” I muttered.

Cinna strode forward, a faint smile on his lips, but his eyes held sadness. He embraced me hand and gave it a squeeze.

“It’s good to see you again, Rixa.” He said honestly. “I just wish it was under different circumstances.”

I nodded as he dismissed my prep team. They showered me with a few more compliments under Cinna’s disapproving eye and disappeared behind the same door Cinna had come out of. I took a seat next to the prep chair as Cinna waited until the doors were firmly shut, letting us know we were alone.

It was quiet for a few moments as Cinna walked across the room, opening a white paneled closet to reveal an abundant supply of breath taking dresses. I stood up immediately and made my way to Cinna’s expectant form. My hands reached out and touch the silk and expensive cloths. A gasp escaped my thin lips at the beauty of Cinna’s creations.

“Do you like them?” He asked, his expression unreadable.

“I love them.” I answered, pulling out a short, sparkling red one that had seduction written all over it. “These are amazing, Cinn.”

A small smile graced his lips again, “I’m glad you think so highly of my work. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so much pressure to dress you before.”

I glanced at him curiously. “What do you mean?”

“This is where you need to make an impression. Your outfit needs to be perfect or the effect could be fatal. One unmemorable piece of clothing and you could be forgotten.” Cinna sighed, running a hand through his trim black hair. “But, with my tribute being Rixa Hart, my works already half way done. It’s seems like I’m cheating.”

“What happened to not showering Rixa with compliments?” I poked playfully, “I’m already too cocky for my own good.”

Cinna chuckled, tilting his head as pulled through his new designs, “Just thinking aloud. No need to eavesdrop.”

I rolled my eyes before getting serious. Cinna was right, I needed to make the perfect impression to get more sponsors and help Brant. “So, what will my impression be?”

Cinna peered over at me, noting that the playfulness was gone now.

“I need something to make me and Brant unforgettable. No one can forget us, Cinna.” My tone was desperate.

“You’re already an unforgettable woman. The girl from the Capitol who was chosen as the District twelve tribute along with her brother; two extraordinarily beautiful people sent to their deaths. The girl who begged for volunteers, not for herself, but for her brother? No one will forget you anytime soon, Rixa.” Cinna told me truthfully. I felt a bit ashamed knowing Cinna had seen that footage of me but he appeared to find me admirable for it.

“I need you to imprint it in their mind forever. Not have them forget me after the next Games.” I stated fiercely, fingering the dresses again. “I need to go down in history. For Brant. For my Ma. For the twins and Gale. For you.” I glanced over at Cinna, desperate for his magic touch.

“I need you to make me Katniss.” It seemed like a strange statement but I doubt anyone would believe I’d said it unless they had witnessed it themselves.

He eyed me thoughtfully. “Katniss, huh?”

“Not exactly like Katniss. But, I need you to do for me what you did for her.” I rubbed my temple; feeling stressed all of the sudden. I wasn’t sure how to explain this correctly.

“And what did I do for Katniss?” He wondered.

I thought and thought about how to explain Cinna’s genius to Cinna himself. I chewed agitatedly on my tongue until the words appeared in my mind. “You gave her an angle that put her over the edge. You made her the Girl on Fire. I need something like that.” I told her. “Katniss was the Girl on Fire. Who will I be?” My voice seemed so lost as if I was struggling with my identity instead of a costume idea. It seemed so much bigger than it really was.

Cinna pursed his lips, fluffy my hair a bit, pushing it behind my shoulder. He took in my appearance and pondered what I had said for an agonizingly long amount of time. His expression wasn’t happy, but not altogether sad. It was more peaceful. “You are not Katniss.”

I furrowed my brows, unsure whether to be thankful or angry. “And?” I crossed my arms.

“So, you are no Girl on Fire.”

“I see.” Why was Cinna being so unhelpful? Was he trying to hurt me?

“You are something so much more.” He uncrossed my arms, lifting up my chin with a small smile. His hands flew to the closet as he pulled out a royal purple dress. It was stunning and long. The hem fell to the floor and rippled out and the straps were thick on one side and thin on the other. A sparkle pattern draped around it, giving you the slight impression of being hypnotized. This was classic Capitol wear, not something that would represent my coal mining district. I gazed at Cinna, perplexed. “You are no ordinary tribute. You are the Capitol’s tribute.”

Here was my signature. Cinna was a genius. What better way to convince the members of the Capitol to sponsor me but to show them I was one of them!

I grinned widely and gave Cinna a quick kiss on the cheek. “You’re brilliant, Cinn.”

He nodded, holding out the beautiful design, “I hoped you’d like it. I made it with you in mind.”

My aching hands took the dress from him and Cinna quickly helped me into it. Next, he pulled out my matching shoes: purple, strappy, and sparkly. I smiled in adoration.

I checked myself in the large, rectangular mirror adjacent to the closet. “It’s so beautiful.” I murmured, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. I wiped them quickly, turning from my stunning image.

“Let’s finish up and get you to your brother. The Tribute Parade will be starting within the hour.” Cinna said kindly, ignoring my moment of weakness.

He pulled out his makeup kit and dusted a light layer of powder upon my face, just enough to cover the bags and minor blemishes. The rest of the makeup was dramatic like most Capitol make up was. My lids and under eye were colored in with smokey blacks and purples, my lashes long and intense. Cinna braided one half of my blonde hair back, tying it into a nice bow with the other half. He pinned a pretty rose to the side, filling my nostrils with the sickly sweet scent.

When Cinna finished, he forced me back in front of the mirror and I realized the power that Cinna had over someone’s true beauty. Sure, I was pretty, but Cinna knew how to access and perfect my looks and flaws. He was a genius in everyway. I looked as I had felt for a long time, a true Capitol citizen. This was perfect.

“Thank you, Cinna.” I whispered, blinking away the happy tears. It was strange to be crying from happiness for once since all I wanted to do was cry in despair. “I’ll never be able to repay you.” And this was true. What could I do for Cinna that could make up for him saving Brant’s life?

“Yes, you can.” He answered, his hands squeezes my shoulders tenderly.

“How?” I murmured as the metal doors slid open, Effie bursting through in a hot pink wig and matching fluffy dress and heels to boot.

“Time to go! My, my, my! Don’t you look absolutely stunning!” Effie cried, looking me over. I smiled appreciatively in her directed. “It’s time go, go, go!” She said again cheerily.

“Okay.” I said, holding up my dress a bit so I could walk without ripping it. I followed Effie out the door as she chirped about how gorgeous I looked and the sponsors would be piling in. Before the doors shut behind us, I glanced back at Cinna, asking him the same question I had moments before with just my eyes. How?

“Win.” He mouthed, giving me a hopeful smile before the metal doors shut and I was back in the elevator being lifted to another floor. To the Tribute Parade.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just finished the Hunger Games. akfjNLdNAkSNdK. So. Freaking. Amazing. I cried like I did after I finished Harry Potter. Fab.It makes me want to start writing my own novels. I've got some ideas. But, for now, I'll stick to fanfic. This is my safe place. No pressure. Except to make you guys happy readers. NBD.

Comment and subscribe. You know you wanna (;