Status: Slowly progressing

Smiles all around, Masks on the Ground

A dream within a dream

I sat in that small music shop lightly strumming the acoustic guitar that I had kept my eye on from the first day I set my foot on this store. The second I saw it, I promised myself that if they wouldn’t employ me here, I would play it. Every day. No matter the weather, or how I felt, I would come here to play that guitar. I didn’t need to keep my promise, because the manager was more than happy to employ me and even let me play the guitar whenever I wanted. He liked when his shop wasn’t drowning in dead silence.
I smiled to myself, silently humming the words to the song “Misery” by The Maine. I felt at peace for a few moments, as I closed my eyes and the soft sounds coming from the guitar calmed me down. My fingers felt stiff from playing the guitar so rarely, yet I liked the feeling I got when I took the guitar in my hands after some time and just played for myself. I felt alive, I guess.
-You have a nice voice. – I looked at my co-worker Mallorie and smiled slightly. She was a twenty year old student and worked part time at this music shop. I kind of envied her from the first moment I saw her. She was probably 5`8 and very fit. And don’t forget a nice face too. I could see guys drooling every time they saw her in this shop. I was pretty sure one of them came here every week just to see her. From that little time that I had been here, I found out she also had a nice personality and was quite clever. Definitely a perfect girl to any normal guy.
-Thanks. It’s nothing special. – I muttered, a bit shyly. Mallorie rolled her eyes playfully and grinned.
-Nothing special my ass, love. – She muttered and I chuckled. How could I forget the sarcasm?
-Oy, what are you doing this Friday? – I furrowed my brows and stood up, placing the guitar in its original place.
-I don’t know. I have work until six and after that I think I’ll go buy myself a few bottles of beer and drink myself to sleep. – I shrugged my shoulders and Mallorie grinned.
-Good. You’re hanging out with me and my cousin and his friends on Friday. I don’t take no for an answer. – I watched Mallorie for a few seconds, before I started laughing.
-I wasn’t planning on declining your offer, genius. – Mallorie’s eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and she clapped her hands.
-Awesome! Wear something cute. I heard James needs some cheering up. – I stood un-moving for a moment before I groaned.
-So that’s what you’re trying to do. You’re trying to set me up? – I asked, running a hand through my hair. Mallorie shrugged her shoulders.
-We’ll see how it goes. Do you need a ride to the pub where we’ll be drinking? –
-Definitely. I barely know my way to work and the supermarket. – I muttered and Mallorie chuckled.
-Okay. I’ll tell you everything tomorrow. – She grinned and quickly skipped away towards the cash register where a few kids waited. I watched her for a moment, before I turned my eyes to look at the guitar I recently played. Maybe a little distraction wouldn’t hurt..?

~~~~~~


Friday had come unreasonably fast and before I could tell Mallorie that I didn’t feel like dolling up or going anywhere for that matter, she was at my doorstep with a huge grin on her face, though her eyes had this evil glint in them and I found myself giving in and letting Mallorie dress me up as a doll. She dug through my clothes until she found something, as she said “looks presentable” and to that I had to roll my eyes and tell her that she was exaggerating.
-I am not, Greta. – She pouted and continued to push the clothes into my hands.
-Why are you even trying to do something? – I muttered giving in as I took the clothes from her stretched out hands and went to the bathroom to put them on.
-Well, you’re my friend and I like James. He needs a normal girl in his life. His last girlfriend was a total bitch. I’m surprised he even managed to be with her for so long. – She continued rambling on, as I stood in the bathroom, unmoving.
Friend. She already thought of me as a friend, when I didn’t even feel the same about her. I couldn’t trust people so easily. At least, not anymore.
I left the bathroom and went to my room only to find Mallorie looking at the only photo I had developed before coming here. It was of me and my parents. The only thing that I actually could care about, even if I had done a dickhead move…
-You look a lot like your dad. – Mallorie gave me a nice smile and I gave a brief one back.
-But I look like my psycho aunt more. – I muttered and grabbed my cosmetics bag.
-Look, I’m sorry I’m dragging you there and making you dress up, but you just seem like such a nice girl and I thought that maybe you’d hit off with my cousin and his friends and not look so sad anymore. I hate seeing people sad… - She muttered the last sentence so quietly I wasn’t even sure if I understood her. I was surprised and a bit hurt that she could see through my mask. I didn’t need anyone knowing about my problems.
-I’m fine, Mallorie. And it’s fine. I guess, I need to socialize if I don’t want to die out of loneliness. – I grinned at her, trying to tell her I was joking, but she only gave me a sad smile and I was afraid that she saw right through me. I was afraid that I had met a person who could read everyone around them just as me. I was afraid she knew that I was broken beyond repair.

~~~~~~


The both of us stood outside the bar, me smoking and Mallorie happily telling me about her cousin and his friends. From what I understood, he was in a band and his friends were his band mates. They were fairly known and at that I had rolled my eyes, hoping that they weren’t going to be stuck up idiots. As if sensing my distaste, Mallorie assured me that they were really friendly and nice. As I took the last inhales of my cigarette I saw Mallorie light up and childishly skip up to some guy. I remained standing awkwardly in my spot, as I held the cigarette close to my lips. In an instant, I had this urge to just disappear from there. I was pretty sure Mallorie wouldn’t notice for a while and I could go home and just watch some stupid show on my laptop. I was itching to leave, but then I saw Mallorie grin at me and motion for me to come over. I smiled slightly and I dragged my tired body towards her and the unknown guy.
-Greta, meet Tom, my cousin. – I smiled up at the blond guy and stuck out my hand. He seemed really familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger where I had seen him.
-Pleasure. – I told him, as he shook my hand.
-The pleasure is all mine, love. – He grinned and shook my hand. I threw a brief look at Mallorie and saw her looking around.
-Where’s James, Chris and Lee? – She asked a moment later, as I shoved my hands into my pockets and blew out the breath that I had been holding in.
-They should be coming in a few. James had a fit, because they dragged him out of the house. – Tom chuckled to himself and I saw Mallorie roll her eyes.
-So, where are you from, Greta? - I looked up at Tom, surprised that he was talking to me.
-Oh, you know, underground. – I shrugged my shoulders and grinned to myself. Mallorie chuckled and I saw Tom throw Mallorie a look.
-She’s shy. Back off, Tommy dear. – She grinned and I smiled.
-But in all seriousness, I am from Lithuania. – I shrugged my shoulders, as I looked up only to find Tom’s curious eyes boring into mine.
-Lithuania? Besides Poland, right? – I gave a small smile, nodding my head, silently telling him that he was right.
-I’m surprised you even know where that is. Most people I met don’t even know what Poland is. – I shrugged and Tom chuckled.
-Well, love, I studied even if that’s hard to believe. – I chuckled lightly and looked at Mallorie, who had a grin on her face.
-Yo, Mallorie, Tom! – All of us turned our heads and I felt my eyes widen for a bit. There, in all his glory, stood James Veck-Gilodi with Lee Wilson and Chris Pennels. I looked at Tom and then I knew why he seemed so familiar. I wanted to face-palm myself, but I couldn’t, because that would be too suspicious and definitely wouldn’t give off a good first impression.
I stopped myself then and asked myself since when did I care about first impressions? I didn’t, so I could act however I wanted and not really care.
-Who’s your friend, Mal? – I snapped myself out of my daze and grinned at Lee.
-Greta. – I answered. I felt Mallorie nudge me with her arm and I looked at her. She gave me a grin and motioned with her eyes to look at whoever she wanted me to look at. I turned my gaze to Chris and James and felt my breath get caught in my throat. Chris had a friendly smile on his face while James watched me with this angry stare. I felt myself go numb and I looked at Mallorie, once again having this huge urge to go home, but I saw her friendly smile and I knew that I couldn’t just leave out of nowhere. I could at least try to act civil…
♠ ♠ ♠
I had this written for quite some time, but managed to post it just now. I don't really like it, but lets see how it goes. I have a few ideas what I could write later on, but I'm open to any kind of suggestions. :)
Till next time!