Cross My Heart

i'm way too far in over my head

It was the sun that awoke Grayson the next morning, its rays shining right in her face. She groaned and turned onto her side, burying her face further into the pillow below her head. Just as she began dozing off, she heard a clawing come from the side of the bed, before feeling Oskar's tongue on her cheek.

“Gray, ‘s ‘alf past eleven. Wake up alreadeh!” His voice made her eyes shoot open and memories of the previous night came seeping back into her mind much like a flood. Feeling ashamed, she threw the blanket over her head and tugged it tight to her body. “Yeh don’ ‘ave teh be embarrassed, love,” he told her, and she almost wanted to laugh at how easily he could read her thoughts. She felt the bed sink beside her. “Gray, c’mon,” he sighed, trying to peel back the blanket, only to fail as she had a death grip on it. “Grayson Jane Andrews, fuckin’ come out of there!”

Upon hearing her full name leave his mouth, she slowly let go of the comforter, letting Oliver slide it down her back. She turned her head, looking at him. “What?” she blinked.

He gave her a smile. “I made yeh breakfast. Even made yeh favorite - bacon,” he stated, making a face as the word ‘bacon’ left his mouth.

“You didn’t have to,” she said, but was unable to hold back a grin.

Oliver chuckled. “I knew it’d make yeh 'appeh,” he said before getting up.

“Let me pee first,” she told him, climbing her way out of his bed sheets.

“Yeh couldn’t just say yeh ‘ad teh use the loo?”

“I could’ve, but I didn’t.” She heard him laughing as she shut the door. She quickly relieved her bladder and brushed her teeth before trying to tame her wild hair. Once she felt decent enough, she walked downstairs and into the kitchen, finding Oliver already sitting at the counter. She sat next to him and instantly reached for the plate of bacon, stuffing a crinkled piece into her mouth. “Mmm,” she moaned.

Oliver laughed. “Yeh enjoyin' that, yeah?" he teased.

“Shut up and let me eat!” Grayson scolded, attacking another piece of pork.

He gave her a face before taking a bite of his own animal-free food. They ate without making conversation and once both were full, Grayson washed the dishes before going into the living room, plopping herself down on the couch. Oliver turned the volume of the TV down before looking at her.

“Still too early teh talk?” he asked.

Grayson knew it was coming, and she sighed, hiding her warming face in her hands. “Can we just forget last night? I’m so ashamed of myself and I’m sorry.”

Oliver laughed and reached over, pulling her hands away from her face. “Yeh were ‘oldin’ a lot in, love; yeh ‘ad teh explode sometime.” She bit down on her bottom lip at his words. “’M sorreh, too, Gray,” he told her, giving her hand a squeeze.

Grayson nodded her head, accepting his apology as easily as he had accepted hers. “Still best friends?”

He snorted in disbelief. “’Course we are. Yeh ain’t gettin’ away from meh that easileh.”

She laughed before suddenly slapping a hand to her forehead. “Shit! I never let Leah know I wasn’t coming home.”

“Aye, she knows. I called ‘er afteh yeh went teh bed. She just kept laughin’ at meh when I told 'er yeh were 'ere, come teh fink of it,” he said, scratching the back of his head.

Grayson rolled her eyes. “She’s crazy. Don’t pay her any attention.”

Oliver laughed and smacked a hand down on her thigh. “Anyways, I was finkin’ since Findleh’s room is all finished, I could bring ‘er ‘ome today.”

She nodded her head. “You could, but you still have a few other things to get.”

“What d'yeh mean?”

I mean, you got her a crib, clothes and whatnot, but not the essentials.”

“And what are the essentials, Miss Andrews?”

“You still need to get diapers, baby wipes, formula, bottles and probably some colic medicine; babies tend to get that a lot,” she listed, Oliver’s eyes growing wider with each word.

“Yeh couldn’t ‘ave told meh this sooner?!”

She laughed. “I thought maybe you’d figure it out on your own.”

“’M a man, Gray; I know nofin’ about babehs,” he stated as if that were a valid explanation.

Grayson rolled her eyes. “Let me borrow some clothes and I’ll go to Tesco with you.”

_____________________________________

As Oliver pulled into the parking lot of the store, he smacked Grayson’s hand that was fiddling with the knob on the stereo. “Can yeh let one fuckin’ song play?” he asked exasperatedly.

“If you had something good on this damned CD, then yes, I would!”

He huffed and pulled into the first space he saw, pulling his keys from the ignition. “’M mad at yeh,” he said before opening his door and getting out.

Grayson snickered as she did the same, going to walk beside him. “Why?”

“Yeh insultin’ meh music taste. I should slap yeh fer that one,” he said, giving her a cheeky smile.

She stopped walking, turning her head to the side so her right cheek was facing him. “Well go on and slap me then!” she teased, her voice a tad bit too loud, though, as an elderly couple glanced their way, glaring daggers at Oliver.

His eyes widened and his face flushed as he grabbed Grayson’s hand, pulling her into the store. “’M double mad at yeh now, Gray. Yeh gonna pay fer that,” he promised, letting go of her hand as they wandered down an aisle.

She couldn’t help but to laugh. “Oh, come on, Oli! That was hilarious!”

“Fer yeh!” he protested, throwing his arms in the air.

Grayson continued giggling as they reached the infant section of the store. “Well, you have to forgive me now because you need my help, bud.”

“Fuck,” he mumbled.

She ignored him as she grabbed a brand of bottles that were identical to the ones Carol had been using for Findley, along with a pack of pacifiers. She held both with her hands before shuffling towards the end of the aisle, where an array of diapers were stocked. She pointed to a box. “Grab that,” she told him.

“You sure these are the right ones?” he questioned whilst reaching for the large package.

Grayson nodded her head. “Positive,” she assured him before grabbing a box of wipes. “We really should have gotten a cart.”

He laughed. “If yeh ‘adn’t embarrassed meh, I might’ve grabbed one.”

“Oh, shut up. I’m gonna go grab one.”

“Gray, I was onleh jokin’. I can go get it.”

“I know you can, but you’ve got a giant box of diapers in your hands. Just let me get it, alright?” He sighed, but nodded his head anyway. Grayson walked through a few aisles before finally finding a deserted cart. She grinned as she dropped the items in her hands into the basket, before grabbing onto the rail and pushing it forward. It wasn’t until she began strolling down that she noticed she was in the candy aisle. She smiled as she reached for a chocolate bar, feeling as if it was exactly what she needed after the night she’d had.

“That’s quite a mix yeh got there,” a voice chuckled from beside her.

Grayson turned to see a rather tall man with short jet-black hair. He had bright green eyes, though, and they nearly made her melt on the spot. “What?” she asked stupidly, still gazing into his eyes.

“All the babeh stuff,” he said, pointing into her cart.

She looked down at the bottles, pacifiers and wipes and felt her cheeks warm. “Uh, yeah,” she laughed nervously.

The man held out his hand. “I’m Adam,” he smiled.

She shook his hand, noticing how much softer it felt compared to Oliver’s rough, calloused ones. “Grayson.”

“That’s a loveleh name.”

Oh, her face was on fire now. “Thank you,” she smiled sheepishly.

“So, yeh a Yank, yeah?”

Grayson laughed and nodded her head. “Guilty.”

Adam grinned. “Always wanted teh go teh the states mehself, but I’ve neveh been able teh.”

Before she could reply, there was another voice coming down the aisle; this one more familiar. “Grayson, yeh got meh carryin’ this damn box around the entireh store!” Oliver grumbled, the box covering the majority of his view. When he reached her, he set the box into the cart and it was then he noticed the man standing beside her. He arched his brows to the stranger. “’Ello,” he nodded, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

“'Ey, mate,” Adam returned. “Well, uh, it was nice meetin’ yeh, Grayson. Maybe I’ll see yeh around some time,” he smiled before briskly making his way out of the aisle.

“Did I just cock block yeh?”

Grayson could only imagine how red her face was at this point. She pressed her fingers against her skin, trying to calm the fire. “I doubt it. He was just being nice. Besides, I’m pretty sure he thought I had a baby when he saw what was in my cart.”

Ah,” Oliver grinned, crossing his arms over his chest. “’E fought ‘e’d gotten ‘imself a MILF.”

“Oh my God!” Grayson shrieked, slapping his arms as he doubled over with laughter at her reaction. “You are impossible!”

He smiled as the laughter died down, patting her cheek. “’S not a bad fing, love,” he winked before grabbing the cart. “So, formula, yeah?”

She sighed, nodding her head. “Let’s get it and get the hell out of here.”

Oliver laughed at her words but nodded his head. “As yeh wish.”

On the way back to Oliver’s house, they’d stopped at his parents’ to pick up Findley. She was having her afternoon nap when they arrived, but both Carol and Ian assured them she wouldn’t wake; that she always slept when she was in the car. Ian had to help Oliver place the car seat in the back, and although it took a few tries, he eventually was able to do it himself. Carol passed the sleeping baby into Grayson’s arms and pressed a kiss to her tiny forehead.

“Nan and grandpa love yeh, sweetie,” she whispered before giving Grayson a loose side hug. “Take care of bof meh babehs, Gray?”

“I will,” she smiled. She gave Ian a hug as well before walking to Oliver’s car and placing Findley in her seat. She made sure to buckle her in correctly before standing back up. “I’ll sit back here with her.”

“Alright,” Oliver nodded appreciatively. As Grayson slipped into the car, he exchanged a few words with his parents before getting behind the wheel and driving them away. “Is she alright? Is she fussin’ or anyfin'?”

Grayson smiled at the concern in his voice. “She’s fine, Oli. She’s sleeping away,” she told him, peeking under the blanket that was draped over the top of the car seat slash carrier.

When they reached, Grayson allowed Oliver to grab the carrier and followed behind him as they entered the house. They went into the living room first and he set the seat on the couch, pulling back the blanket so he could see his baby properly.

“Welcome ‘ome, Findleh,” he cooed, pressing a kiss to her round cheek. “Oh! I got yeh somefin’!” he exclaimed before dashing up the stairs without saying a word to Grayson.

She laughed as she took a seat on the couch. “Your dad’s a bit crazy, Finn, but he means well. You’ll get used to it.” Findley only stared up at her with confusion and Grayson gave another laugh.

Oliver came running down the steps, nearly tripping over his feet and as he pulled his arms from behind his back, Grayson saw the hideous dinosaur. “’E’s all yours, Finneh,” he smiled, laying the stuffed animal beside the baby.

After spending a little over an hour playing with Findley, Grayson had mentioned to Oliver that their bags from the store were still in the car, and he eagerly volunteered to get them. It took a little time and patience as they got everything settled for Findley, but eventually, they had finished. When the baby began crying, Grayson figured it was about time for her to eat. She motioned for Oliver to follow her down to the kitchen.

She pulled out the large tin of formula from the cabinet beside the fridge. “Now, this is easy,” she began, pulling the lid open. “There’s a chart right here that tells you how much your baby should be eating, depending on how old they are. So, for example, Findley’s about five weeks old, so let’s say she’s a month,” she thought out loud as she grabbed one of the bottles that she had washed. “There’s markers on the bottle, so don’t worry about how you’re going to measure it. Just mix in how much water and formula it tells you. Make sure and use the baby water we bought, though. Any questions?” she asked as she began shaking the contents in the bottle.

Oliver stared at her in amazement. “’Ow do yeh know so much about babehs?”

Grayson laughed. “I guess it’s just instinct, really,” she shrugged before placing the bottle in the microwave. “We should have bought a warmer, but the microwave is alright for now.” When it beeped, she took the plastic out and tested a few drops on the inside of her wrist, making sure the milk wasn’t too hot. “Here you go, daddy.”

Daddeh?” he grinned, making Grayson roll her eyes. “’M only messin’ wif yeh. Fanks, love,” he said, tilting the bottle towards her before pressing it to Findley’s mouth.

Eventually, they moved into the living room and as Oliver fed Findley, he and Grayson watched TV. After showing him how to properly burp her, Findley fell asleep against Oliver's chest and he laughed, commenting on how much she slept.

“That’s all babies do, really. Eat, shit, sleep, and cry,” Grayson laughed.

“’M not gonna be gettin’ anymore sleep, am I?”

She shook her head. “From what Tom’s told me, she’s a loud one.”

Oliver sighed. “I guess it’s payback fer all the ‘ell I gave meh mum.”

Grayson chuckled. “Maybe,” she said before yawning. “Do you think you need me to stay the night again?”

“I fink I got it. Yeh don’t 'ave to.”

“Are you sure? I really don’t mind, Oli.”

He gave her a bright smile. “Gray, yeh can go ‘ome. I fink yeh’ve taught meh everyfin' yeh can.”

She nodded her head. “Alright, well I’ll call Leah to come pick me up.” After calling her sister, who was all too happy to tease her, she walked up to Oliver’s room, collecting her clothes from the night before, throwing them into a plastic bag. “I’ll wash your clothes and give them back to you later,” she said as she reentered the living room.

“Fine wif meh,” Oliver nodded.

Her phone began vibrating in her pocket and she knew that meant Leah was here. “I guess my sister’s here. Listen, Oli, if you need any help, call me, okay? I don’t care what time it is.”

“Yeh got it, Gray.”

She smiled and placed a kiss on both his and Findley’s cheeks. “Love you both.”

Oliver laughed. “We love yeh, too.”

The teasing began as soon as she sat down in the passenger seat. “So, how was he?”

Grayson rolled her eyes and buckled her seatbelt. “We didn’t do anything, Leah. How many times do I have to say that before you believe me?”

Leah laughed. “I can’t believe you wasted a perfectly good night with him, when you two could’ve bonked!”

The words were dancing on the tip of her tongue, but Grayson didn’t necessarily feel like explaining how the previous night had gone. It had been embarrassing enough having to live through it. “Yeah, I guess,” she sighed.

The rest of the drive was quiet and after getting back to their apartment, Grayson changed into an old ‘Blink-182’ tee shirt and grey sweatpants, throwing her hair up into a messy bun. She grabbed the chocolate bar she had purchased at Tesco and settled on the couch, flipping through the television channels.

Somewhere between watching TV with her sister and texting Acey, she’d fallen asleep with the half-eaten chocolate resting on her belly. It wasn’t until she felt a tap on her shoulder that she jolted awake, her heart pounding until she saw it was only Leah.

“What?” she asked sleepily, rubbing her eyes.

“Oliver’s on the phone,” she mouthed before tossing the device onto her lap.

She glanced at the clock on the wall, noticing it was near two in the morning. “Oli, what’s wrong?”

“’S Findleh, Gray! I can’t get ‘er teh stop cryin’ and I dunno what’s wrong! I dunno what’s wrong!” Oliver’s panicked voice pierced her ear drum.

“Have you tried feeding her and changing her diaper?”

“I’ve done bof!”

“What about rocking her?”

“That one, too,” he said, his voice still strained.

Grayson frowned. “Just let me get my shoes on and I’ll come over, Oli. Just take a deep breath and try and stay calm, okay?”

“I’ll try, Gray, I’ll try.”

She ended the call and didn’t even bother to grab her coat as she took her keys from the counter. “Findley’s crying and Oli’s freaking out! I’m gonna see if I can help him!” she shouted to Leah before running out the door.

She nearly slipped three times on the snow covered sidewalk, but that didn't slow her down. She didn’t give her car the chance to warm up before taking off down the mostly empty street, driving faster than the posted limit. She’d made it to Oliver’s house in record time, though, and all but fell out of the car as she ran to the door. She could hear Findley’s screams from the outside and that left a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. She knocked harshly on the door and in no time, Oliver was opening it.

“Oh, God, Gray, I dunno know what ‘m doin’!” he blurted, his eyes wide and red. She noticed that the ends of his hair were sticking up, almost like he had been pulling at it all night.

Grayson took Findley into her arms, rubbing Oliver’s back. “Just sit down, Oli. I’m gonna help you, okay?” she said, keeping her voice calm and even, although Findley’s screams were beginning to scare her.

Oliver did as he was told, though, and Grayson went into the ‘Baby Cabinet’, pulling out the first-aid kit. She stuck the sticker that acted as a thermometer to Findley's forehead, and waited patiently as it did its job. Seeing the color fully changed, Grayson ruled out a fever and slightly felt relief at that.

Remembering the colic medicine they bought, she reached into the fridge and called Oliver for help. “Can you measure that for me?” she questioned. Oliver nodded his head and used the lines on the dropper to measure the right amount of liquid that was needed before handing it to her. “Now, it’s medicine, so she’s probably not going to like it, but it’ll help her.” He nodded and watched as Grayson stuck the dropper into Findley’s mouth, which seemed to only further anger the little girl, but Grayson remained firm and after making sure the baby had swallowed the medicine, she gave the dropper back to Oliver.

“'Ow do yeh know if it works?” he quizzed.

“We’ll just have to wait,” Grayson said simply before walking into the living room. She laid Findley on her back on the floor, unwrapping the blanket from around her. She tried to remember as best she could how to swaddle the fabric around the baby, and when she felt satisfied, she brought Findley back into her arms and rose to her feet, rocking her gently side to side with a small bounce in her step. “Shh, shh, shh,” Grayson sounded near the baby’s ear.

“What’re yeh doin’?” Oliver asked, giving her an odd look.

She felt a light blush coming to her cheeks. “I took a child development class back in high school, and in our book, it said that sometimes making that sound helps to relax a baby; it reminds them of being in the womb.”

He only nodded his head and sat down on the couch, watching her. It took roughly thirty minutes, but eventually, Findley’s cries had slowed before becoming nonexistent, sleep taking over her little body. Grayson smiled down at her, pressing a kiss to her forehead. She took a seat next to Oliver, careful not wake Findley as she did so.

“Maybeh this were a bad idea, Gray,” Oliver said softly.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, I ‘ave no idea ‘ow teh take care of a babeh. I couldn’t even get through one night by mehself!”

Grayson frowned. “Oli, don’t go feeling bad. This is your first time having Findley on your own! Every new parent feels the way you’re feeling right now. It’s just gonna take some practice and a whole lot of patience, but you’ll get there. You’re going to be an amazing dad, Oli. Believe me,” she told him, patting his hand.

Oliver’s honey orbs looked straight at her. “Yeh’re the best, Gray.”

She grinned. “Promise?”

He gave a quiet laugh, not wanting to wake Findley. “Cross meh ‘eart, love.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Because I'm a nerd for American Idol, I didn't really proof read this the way I normally do, so forgive me for any errors. I'll come back later and fix them! I gained a few subscribers and I can't tell you how much I appreciate y'all for reading this story! Special thanks to: lexin3d, carlaangel86, skyrimjobs, AceyMonsta! and The Mini Monster for their lovely comments! You guys make my day! :)

<3 Roxie