Status: Complete!

Crash

Chapter One

"But Miss, I really do NOT need a tutor! Especially not him! I can catch up in my own time!" She whined as she sent daggers in the direction of her teacher. Hollie hated the fact that she had fallen behind in her English lessons, though missing a month from college in her final year wasn't exactly how she wanted things to go either.

"Hollie, look. You're not behind in any other classes, which is fantastic considering everything that has happened with your father this past month." Miss Nicholls took a seat and motioned for Hollie to do the same. "There's a lot for you to learn and I genuinely think the best way for you to get up to date is to have someone tutor you. It isn't convenient for either of us for me to tutor you, and since Josh is top of the class this year, he really is the next best thing." Hollie dropped her head into her hands at her teacher's words.

Josh. The girl sighed internally at his name. It wasn't that she didn't like Josh, in fact, liking him was the problem.

Hollie Phillips had a crush on Josh Franceschi - not just a cliche schoolgirl crush, but one that she had had to endure for the duration of her time in high school and her past two years at college. The brunette absolutely hated herself for crushing on Josh. She was surprised that she had been able to keep her feelings for him so well contained, surprised that it hadn't turned into some kind of creepy stalker obsession. Seeing the guy with other girls caused her excruciating pain, though he was seemingly oblivious to the emotional torture he was causing her.

The pair had known each other for quite some time, constantly bumping into each other at parties and having short (but sweet) conversations which made Hollie's heart swell with delight. Joshua and Hollie got on well together, when the opportunity was there at least.

And now, at the end of the school day, when almost everyone had left the building, the brown eyed girl sat at the front of the classroom where she learns about the joys of the English language agreeing that she probably does need a tutor. She raised her head from the desk and nodded, "Okay, fine. I'll have Josh tutor me. I couldn't possibly fail a class." A smile spread on Miss Nicholls' face, shadowing the look of relief that was also present. "So when will this start? I'll have to speak to Josh, I guess. He's definitely okay with this? You've spoken to him?" Hollie had millions of questions to ask, but they were all answered when she heard a light knock on the door and none other than Josh Franceschi made his way into the classroom.

"Miss Nicholls, Hollie." The dark haired guy acknowledged the women in the room, his face lifting as his eyes connected with the younger girl.

The older woman smiled the moment that she saw the guy, her face lifting. "Josh, right on time. I've just been telling Hollie about the tutoring arrangements, it's all still okay with you, I presume?" The younger girl just sat there, almost stunned. She wasn't sure if it was Josh's presence in the classroom, or if it was the prospect of being alone with him, but she was most certainly frozen on he spot.

"Absolutely, Miss. I've been looking forward to it actually. In fact, I was hoping that we could start our sessions earlier than scheduled, perhaps today if it's convenient for you, Hollie?" Josh turned to the girl, she looked shy, scared even. It was obvious that she wasn't herself at that moment in time. Her face riddled with horror, her features almost contorted with nerves. Hollie was silent for a little too long for Josh's liking, which prompted him to speak again. "Hollie? If you can't make today, then perhaps tomorrow? You've probably made plans, don't let me gate crash!" He chuckled out, making light of the situation, and Hollie felt more at ease with his proposal.

"Today would be fine, Josh. Perfect even. I have no other plans." Hollie spoke out, more confidently than anyone else in the room could have anticipated at that moment in time, given her nerves and lack of movement from just moments ago.

"I think I'll leave you two to it! Since it's now after school hours, there shouldn't be anyone else around so you're welcome to use the classroom for your first session, but go somewhere else if you're more comfortable. Any questions or concerns after your time together, then I'll be around tomorrow. Enjoy it, and thanks again Josh, it's very much appreciated!" As she spoke, Miss Nicholls gathered up her belongings and as soon as she had finished her little speech, she was out of the door like a shot, leaving Josh and Hollie alone.

“So... First session today?” Hollie questioned the older boy as he leant on the table she was sitting at.

Josh chuckled, looking down into her hazel eyes. “Genuinely just trying to look enthusiastic in front of Miss Nicholls! I was thinking that perhaps I could brief you on a few things and then we’ll start properly tomorrow?” Josh relaxed against the table, prompting Hollie to do the same as she crossed her legs over in her lap, loosening her school tie as she nodded.

“Fine by me, what have I missed then?” The brunette spoke confidently and Josh took her words as an invitation to brief her on everything they would be learning in their tutoring sessions.

He’d been talking solidly for several minutes, before he breathed out deeply and continued. “So I think tomorrow we’ll look at the way that Shakespeare used oxymorons in his writing.” Josh spoke with poise, with no doubt in what he was saying.

Hollie glanced in his direction, an offended expression spread on her features. “What did you just call me?” Her eyes narrowed in his direction and he simply laughed, shaking his head at the girl.

“Oxymorons, love. They’re language devices. You’ll like them, I’m sure. We’ll look at them tomorrow, if that’s okay with you? I’ll meet you here after your last class and I’ll drive us both to mine?” His blue eyes bore into her brown ones as he leapt down from the table, gathering his belongings and helping Hollie with hers as he awaited a response.

“No problem. Text me if there’s any change?” The girl scribbled down her number and handed it to him, surprising herself with her confidence. Josh nodded in agreeance, making his way to the door with Hollie by his side.

“Do you need a ride home?” He asked, breaking the momentary silence between the pair.

The shorter brunette adjusted the way her bag was hanging on her shoulder, smiling and replying as her confirmation. “No, I have one, thanks though. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah, tomorrow. I’m looking forward to this, y’know?”

“Me too. Should be interesting.”

And there they were. Their initial feelings out in the open. The pair parted, warmth and anticipation filling their guts as they went their separate ways.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well bonjour!

As promised, the first chapter for you all! Very happy with the fact that some of you have subscribed with only the story description to go on!

I'm really looking forward to this one as it's my first time writing Josh as a main character. I'm hoping to update once a week, and if I don't, I want you all to annoy me and kick me up the arse!

Let me know what you think - feedback would be immense! <3

- Kerry