Status: Complete!

Crash

Chapter Six

He’d been watching her sleep for a good ten minutes until she prised open her eyes, whining as the sunlight that had managed to creep through the window came into view. Their eyes connected almost immediately after that and a smile spread across their lips. They exchanged their ‘good morning’ greetings and remained silent for a moment. The smile quickly faded from Hollie’s face and a sudden realisation invaded her mind – What happened last night and why was she wearing Josh’s clothes? “Josh, did um... Did we...?” She motioned to the bed awkwardly, sitting up and moving herself away from the guy’s frame.

“No, darlin’”, he chuckled, watching her intently as he replied. “We definitely didn’t; you were tipsy and I was nursing your injured head – I wouldn’t take advantage of you, especially in that situation.” Josh sat up slightly, moving his hand to caress the girl’s cheek, but that movement alone terrified her and she jumped away, memories flooding back as always. Her swift actions revealed bruises, Josh questioning the marks mindlessly. “Hollie, where are those bruises from?” Concern flooded his voice and he leant over to hold her, to comfort her. She leapt from the bed wordlessly as tears began to stream down her face, her sobs becoming louder as the girl gathered up her clothes and threw muffled apologies around the room. Josh was sat up fully now, though stunned as she tried to say goodbye. She only sobbed louder, the bedroom door slamming behind her as she flew down the stairs. “Fuck.” He muttered, heaving his frame from the bed and towards the bathroom, having a shower and giving himself time to think.

---

After haplessly pulling on his clothes, Josh trudged downstairs, face of thunder and sadness. His mother was in the living room where the goings on of the previous night had all come to a prompt end. Flicking his eyes up, Josh made contact with the older woman who had an empathetic look across her features. "What's happened, Joshua?" She noted the look on her boy's face and instantly knew that something was wrong. "I saw her leave earlier. She looked scared."

"I don't know, mum. I just... I don't know. Everything was fine. She slipped, bumped her head so she stayed the night. I took her up to bed, made sure she was okay. She broke her necklace and she was devastated, said it was from her dad. She had bruises this morning... Embedded in her skin. She's got history, mum. It scares me but I want to know more." Josh was sat on the sofa by this point, his mum by his side, listening closely as he poured his heart out.

"She'll tell you in her own time, I promise. She needs someone like you, I bet on it. This necklace of hers, do you have it?" Josh nodded, thinking back to how it was placed on his bedside cabinet. "Take it to the jewellers; they'll fix it up for you. Then go and see her. If you're sulking, I can't begin to imagine how upset she is. She might've run off this morning, but I can guarantee that she needs you now more than ever." Dropping his head in his hands, Josh sighed. He knew his mum was right, he just wished things were simpler. He passed his thanks on to the knowledgeable woman and dashed upstairs, swiping the broken chain and charm from the wooden surface and quickly leaving, the door closing promptly behind him.

His keys clinked as he started his car, smiling at the satisfying sound of the engine revving as he changed gear, tugging his seatbelt across his chest and pulling away from the house. As he drove, he thought long and hard about where he stood with Hollie. The thought of losing her truly terrified him and he realised that he had never felt that way about anyone ever before. He shook his head as he pulled up outside the jewellers, wondering how he had fallen so quickly and without warning.

A quick trip inside revealed that he would only have to wait ten minutes for the chain to get fixed, so he took it upon himself to use his time wisely and text the girl who he had willingly gone to so much trouble for. He knew that she was upset this morning, though he figured that she wasn’t actually annoyed with Josh, more his actions... The way he touched her, perhaps – maybe she just didn’t like it. Maybe it reminded her of him. He’d concluded that Hollie’s dad was most definitely the root cause of some of the problems that the broken girl had encountered and he’d be there for her when she needed to talk. His finger whipped over the keys on his phone, tapping a message that he hoped would motivate her enough to meet him.

Meet me in Starbucks in Church Street. I have a surprise for you. 10 minutes x

Pressing send, he wandered up and down the jewellery shop, his eyes glancing at the sparkling stones embedded in shiny silver rings, completely in awe at the way the gold twisted to form a necklace in another cabinet. He rasped his fingers against the back of his phone case, hopeful of a reply. The object buzzed in his fingertips and he unlocked it quickly, his eyes scanning the black text.

I’ll see you there. x

He smiled, if only slightly, grateful that the girl had accepted his invitation. After a few more moments of waiting, Hollie’s necklace was back in one piece, just as it looked before. He paid the gentleman in the shop, thanking him as the bell chimed and he left the shop. He drove to Starbucks on Church Street, desperately trying to not go over the speed limit but the want of seeing Hollie only made him more excited.

He pulled into a space outside the coffee shop, people milling around the entrance. His Converse-clad feet carried him inside and he spied the girl sat in the corner. She looked out the window in the opposite direction, her dark hair creating waves down her back. Making his way past tables and chairs, he took the necklace from his pocket, unclasping it as he lifted it over her head and rested the charm on her chest when he reached her. He re-fastened the clasp and sat on the sofa opposite her, only to see that tears had formed in the hurt girl’s eyes.

“I know how much it means to you.” He spoke, breaking the silence between them.

Looking down at the heart-shaped charm, she replied. “You didn’t have to do this.” She paused for a moment, moving from her seat and placing her frame next to Josh’s. “Thank you.” She spoke, holding back tears as she lifted her head up to his as he connected their lips, noticing the need in her eyes.

“Anything for you. Anything.”

“Are you ready to listen? I promised I’d tell you all one day. Today seems like a good day.” Her words were soft, though her voice strong, as though she had been building up to this moment for quite some time.

“Ready when you are. Remember, my opinion of you will always remain the same. You’re still the adorable, slightly crazy girl that I’m slowly falling for. Promise.” The pair chuckled, their hands slipping together as they both mentally prepared themselves for what would come next.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys!

Hope you're all well and enjoying the sun - if you're in the UK, at least, not sure about the rest of the world!

What are your thoughts on the new Mibba? I really like how you can comment without having to scroll right back up to the top of the page and opening a new tab!

Speaaaaaking of which, you can do it RIGHT THERE >>>>

Much love to you all! <3

- Kerry