Status: Totally done

First Time Around

Scarlett.

I walked into the Conference Room, where they told me I’d meet Neil and some of the new students of the senior and sophomore year, and it was completely empty. There is a blue Jansport bag lying on the table, but that’s it. No human being in sight.

I sat down on a red and yellow office chair and waited for someone to show up. I laid my head on the table with the help of my forearms and I felt like drifting off when the door opens.

I sat up straight with my auburn hair falling on my face. I looked at the new comer and it was only Ms. Jane, the guidance counselor.

“Oh, it’s only you Scarlett,” Ms. Jane said. She knew me too well. I’ve been sent to her numerous times before; it’d be hard for her to forget me. “Well, the others just got out of first period, so would you mind if you wait for awhile?”

She knew me too well, especially my temper. I smiled a fake one and said, “Sure, I can wait.”

When she left, I rolled my eyes.

Why do I have to be chosen to be this new guy’s partner? I mean, I know I met him, and he did look good, but I thought that I could stay away from him, especially when he’s trying to figure me out. This is so not going to be my year. And I was planning to have a change of heart and everything. I never thought I’d be back into being, you know, cold.

The opening of the door startled me and in came Neil with a coffee in his hand. The blue bag must be his, then.

“Oh, were you waiting long?” Neil asked as he sat down across from me, taking his bag with him. “I was here awhile ago, and then I can’t stand being alone here and all so I thought I’d go and buy myself coffee.”

“You just left your bag here?” I asked him with one of my eyebrows raised.

“Well, yeah, it’s not like someone would steal it.”

I didn’t even bother to answer. He was so careless. So I played around on my chair as I stare out the window as if he wasn’t there. It was so awkwardly quiet between us that I can hear him sipping his coffee, and the squeaks of the chair.

“So, I have a theory of your past now,” he said. I looked at him and he was smiling at me. “I think that you were sold to many people. Then a family adopted you. Then they turned out to be your real parents but they were not really nice. One soon left you for an Arab and another one died while running after her.”

I stared at him. “It’s not even close.” Well, it’s true, it’s not. Stuff like that doesn’t happen easily.

“Well, that was a nice try.”

“You do know you only have three tries, right?”

People are now filling the room until there are already six of us sitting quietly. Ms. Jane came in again and stood at the end of the long table. “Okay guys, you know the drill. Old students will be paired with the new ones of their own batch, and mostly because they have most of the subjects together. Now please, you’ve got one week old ones to make the new ones feel at home.”

She left us without another word.

“I’m already at home here,” Neil said as he walked over to me. “Jerome and I skipped first period to look around and stuff. So you don’t need to waste your time with me.”

I stood up and took my bag and headed towards the door. “I was kidding,” Neil said. “I’d like to spend the day with you, please.”

I looked back at him, his blue eyes boring into my green ones. “You’re confusing me. Well, since Jerome already showed you around the school. I’ll just have to show you my favorite places outside West High. Let’s talk later, bye.”

I didn’t give him a chance to say anything since I walked away fast towards nowhere.

Jade met up with me at lunch time when she reserved our usual spot in the cafeteria—the table beside the big window that overlooks the garden of our school. We usually eat there just to watch students that pass by and predict what they’re talking about. Sometimes we just eat outside when there’s a special occasion—like yesterday.

Angela sat down next to me with her packed lunch. She was soon followed by Saber with a huge grin on her face. Kyle sat next to Angela and they started to talk in this really cuddly way.

“How was it?” Jade asked as she took a bit of her pizza. She scanned the cafeteria for signs of Jerome. How I know this? Well, I know her since she’s my best friend.

A few seniors and freshmen came by to say hi to us. Even Rachel, a nice cheerleader, walked to us to ask if I was only going to eat salad for lunch. I said yes, since I don’t really eat much.

“Maybe that’s why you’re so fit and flawless. I’d take that as an advice and do the exact same thing,” Rachel told me. “Thank you, Scarlett. See you later, guys.”

I looked at Jade and shrugged. “Oh, about the partner with the new student thing, I don’t get to show around the campus anymore. Jerome already showed him around. So I’ll show him around town later.”

Jade’s face froze for a moment while looking at something behind me. I turned to look what it was, and it was only Jerome in a slightly fitted black v-neck. I looked back to Jade and she was staring at him, dreamily.

Knowing it was for Jade’s good, I called out to him, “Hey Jerome.” Jerome spun around. I smiled at him, “Wanna join us?”

Jade pinched my arm but I didn’t flinch.

“Sure thing,” Jerome said. He placed his tray right next to Jade, who’s blushing right now. “Is it okay if Neil joins us too?”

“Who’s Neil?” Saber asked, looking up from her meal.

“He’s new, and he’s my cousin,” Jerome answered. “Scarlett’s been assigned to be his partner. And I think they get along pretty well. Neil kept on talking about you.”

Jade wore a really big grin on her face when Jerome said that. I rolled my eyes to her, and as revenge, I took her baby corn—which she loves so much. She loves it more when it’s her side dish for pizza. Weird, but I still love her.

“What the hell?!” Jade exclaimed. “You know that’s my favorite!”

I stuck out my tongue at her and l laughed hard. Jerome chuckled at our childish behavior and gave his baby corn to Jade.

Jade stuttered her thank you and just blushed. “You owe me for that,” I whispered to her and she responded with a glare. But I know she’s quite thankful.

A blue bag suddenly appeared across from me, and there sat Neil. “Scarlett, I have a new theory of that past of yours.” He took a bit of his pizza and looked at me with a smile.

“Save it, Neil,” I told him. "You should save it since your theories are not even close. Besides, you have a year to decide. You could make a guess tomorrow or next week. Go research and stuff.”

“Okay then.”

The bell rang and we all got up to clean our table. It’s really unlikely for a student to clean our table, but we got used to it because of Angela. She’s not only a vegetarian, but also an Obsessive Compulsive person. And if there are levels for that shit, she’s in level ten...well, except maybe, for her hair. She usually doesn't notice that hair is messy at times.

Our schedule is so messed up that we have Homeroom after lunch. It’s always like this in West High. They scramble up our subjects and schedules and it’s unique. But I don’t care, I’ll get used to it, I guess.

Jerome and Neil have Chemistry after lunch so they went the other way. Jade and I have English after we meet with Mr. Stinson after homeroom.

“Ugh, Stinson again,” Jade said. “I hate the way he looks so gorgeous and he only looks at you for some reason that I can explain and you somehow can’t.”

I sat on the desk next to hers and looked at her. “Not this again! He is not into me, Viola.”

Jade heard her first name from my lips again, and that completely shut her up immediately. Mr. Stinson walked into class again and started to take our attendance. What Jade is trying to tell me is now making me conscious of him.

As soon as he was done talking, I quickly got out of my seat and headed towards the door for our English class that’s on the floor above. I avoided his brown eyes that are locked on mine as I left.

Jade wasn’t quite happy of my actions. She noticed Stinson’s gazes and was encouraging me to look back at him. But I shut her up with my glare.

English with Dr. Luke was more appropriate to have a class with. He did glare at me most of the times, but that was it. At least he doesn’t look at me with weird eyes.

I drove Jade back to her house in silence. Jade kissed my cheeks goodbye and I drove back to my own house. The gates were opened automatically when they identified my car. Mr. Hopkins waved at me while he was in the garden. Riley and Reese got my clothes to change into and Reese helped me out of my current one.

Reese helps me every time with my clothes even if I can do it on my own. I got used to it now. She and Riley look so identical. One time, Riley dressed up as his sister and changed my clothes. In the end, I bruised his arm.

My phone went off and I glanced at who it was. It was Neil. How he got my number is a mystery that I’m not planning to know.

“Scarlett, I thought you’ll show me around town today! I’ve been waiting for an hour now!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay this was a really boring day for Scarlett, but there some parts that shows hints of sparks.
It's just the beginning guys

Enjoy.
Comments/feedbacks/whatever are greatly appreciated.