The Lost Empress

Chapter Two

After calling dad 10 times and hearing “Sorry I can’t get your call right now, I’m probably out fishing! Leave a message” and texting him 15 times, I’d accepted the fact that I’d be caught in the rain until he got home. That’s if he got home, most nights he wouldn't come home, just stay at the pub until the bartender called a cab and sent him home. . He was doing that a lot lately, mostly because it was coming close to the anniversary.
I’d decided that I might as well do something because I was getting cramped from sitting in the same position on the front steps. I walked over to the swing dad had put up when I was little in the big oak tree out the front. I always liked going out there because it made remember all the fun times I used to have with dad, like running around and squealing when dad tried to wet me with the hose, playing hide and seek, having tea parties. He was a lot more fun before mum died.
But no, I wasn’t going to think about that now. I decided to start swinging and over-analyse my afternoon with Kye. Let’s face it; he was unbelievably hot, and nice. I couldn’t believe I was thinking about kissing him before. I hadn’t even known him a day and I was thinking of him that way.
I was so deep in thought that I didn’t realise that someone was walking behind me when I ran into them while I was coming back down on my swing. I screamed my head off when I hit the person behind me and they fell, doubled over. I jumped off the seat, mid-swing and turned to run, when I recognised who it was.
“Kye?” I asked. “What are you doing here?” I couldn’t believe he was in my front yard. “Oh and sorry for that, I didn’t even hear you walk over.” He held up a hand, showing that he’d talk in a second. I think I knocked the wind out of him, but almost as soon as he fell, he started to straighten up, a little too easily I thought. I gave him an apologetic look.
“Don’t worry about it.” He said, though I could hear he was still trying to get his breath back, but it sounded like an act, that he wasn’t really out of breath, just taking deep breaths. “I shouldn’t have sneaked up on you like that.” I was glad he was ok, but I was also a bit curious as to what he was doing there.
“Why are you out here Kye? I thought I told you to go inside and get dry.” I smiled and laughed at him as he started ringing out his shirt to show how wet he was, and was still getting.
“Well”, he smiled, though he was a bit more serious, “I was thinking about how I just left you in the rain, and how mean that was of me”, I was going to say that it was fine but he kept talking before I could say anything. “And I was wondering if you wanted to stay at my place until your dad gets home.”
I laughed at him and said, “Please, my dad might not even be coming back tonight.”
He gave me a serious face and said, “I’m sorry. How about you come over until your dad gets home or”, and he really emphasised the ‘or’ making me laugh, “You can stay until it stops raining.” He smiled, pleased with himself.
“Really? Your parents don’t mind?” I was a bit surprised that his family would let some random girl into their house.
“Well, actually, my mother’s away on a business trip and my sister is out as well, so it’s fine.” His face turned very guarded and his warm eyes turned to stone at the mention of his mum and sister. But it was gone in an instant.
“Oh my gosh, that’d be great. Thanks Kye.” I gave him the warmest most thankful smile I had ever given anyone and followed him across the street and up the front steps to his house.

Kye’s house was the cutest, warmest, most homely home I’ve ever seen. The wooden front door was incredibly detailed with intricate patterns engraved all over it. I had a feeling the patterns meant something but the thought was gone as soon as it had appeared. It was a double story timber house with huge long windows at the bottom, and shutter windows on the second level. Windows that you would expect to see flowers growing underneath of. When he opened the door and stepped into the house, I realised Kye was watching me closely, but I was too busy taking in his immaculately clean house to ask why. The house had a Goldilocks feel to it. Everything was just right. The rooms weren’t too big or too small. It was filled with furniture but not too cramped, the walls were bright but not too bright. It was perfect. A complete contrast to my tiny, broken home.
Once through the door I heard myself say, “Wow.”, but I continued looking around. The floors were lovely varnished timber, and the walls were a warm cream. On my right was a living room with the biggest flat screen I have ever seen, it would have to have been at least 70 inches. To the left was the dining table, and behind that was a cute little kitchen that I could see someone spending all day baking in. In front of me was a door leading, I assumed to the basement, and a spiral staircase leading upstairs.
“What do you think?” Kye asked. He sounded nervous but I couldn’t figure out why. It wasn’t like his house wasn’t fit for guests or anything.
“It’s amazing. Your house is so… so perfect.” It sounded stupid but that was the only word I had for it. It put my little leaky house to shame. Kye coughed, but I think he may have been trying to hide a chuckle, but I didn’t know what was funny.
“Come with me, I’ll show you upstairs.” He started walking towards the stairs, but when I went to follow him, I heard the squelch of my wet converses on the floor, which reminded me that I was muddy, wet and dripping over the floor. “Uhh…” I started. Kye turned around to see me pointing at myself showing him how wet I was. Wet would be a bit of an understatement. I was completely drenched. My light blue school blouse was soaked and clung to my skin, clearly showing my lacy red and black polka dot bra. My skirt was dripping a ring of water around my feet, and was plastered against my legs. My socks somehow also got wet, even though they were laced in my muddy converses. My hair had turned into a black waterfall around my face, getting water in my eyes and ears. But the thing I hated the most was that I even smelt wet. Like that mouldy, stuffy smell you find in a room that's been closed up for ages.
“Oh, right, yeah. Mother would probably kill me if I got mud in the house.” He looked around trying to think of something, while I stood awkwardly in the doorway, a pool of water quickly appearing under me. His face brightened up and he flashed a broad smile, “I’ve got it. Give me one second.” Kye turned and ran up the stairs taking them two at a time. I followed him with my eyes until he turned around a corner.
I started looking around the house, when I realised there were no mirrors. He said he had a mother and a sister, yet there were no mirrors. I had about three in my room alone and I’m the only girl in the house. Another thing I noticed was that there were no photos of the family. Nothing. No school photos, family portraits, holiday photos, nothing. My house was covered in photos. Most of them was with friends but there was one that I had of my mum that dad didn’t know about. It was her holding me when I was about two years old. I was my most precious memory of mum. Just as I was starting to get sad thinking about her, Kye came bounding back down the stairs. A pile of clothes held triumphantly in the air.
“I got some dry clothes for you Hay,” Hay, he called me Hay. I have a nickname already. I started blushing. Praying that he wouldn’t notice; I took the clothes of him. “Sorry if they’re a bit big. They’re my sister’s.” He smiled apologetically at me. Taking what I thought was a dress; I pulled it against my body. Turns out it was a shirt.
I laughed at him, “A bit big. These are the clothes of a giant. What is she, 6 foot?” I smiled at him and he grinned back. “You sure she won’t mind me borrowing her clothes?” I couldn’t imagine that anyone would willingly give their clothes to a stranger.
“I’m sure when I explain it, she won’t mind.” He seemed a bit uncertain and his smile faltered, but was grinning again in the same instant. “Right,” he clearly felt uncomfortable. “Umm, I’m going to get something to eat. “Uh, you can get changed here if you want.” He ran a hand through his wet, black hair and looked down at the ground, something that I found incredibly cute.
“Yeah, that’s fine.” I bent my head down to look into his eyes and got lost in the depth of his gaze on me. I had the same urge as before to lean in and kiss him; to feel his lips on mine. But I snapped my head back before I could allow that thought to go any further.
“Right, so umm, I’ll be in the kitchen.” Kye smiled at me and headed away and around a corner. Before I could ask he yelled, “No, I can’t see you. So hurry up and strip.” I heard him laugh loudly and so did I. It was amazing how he could make any situation less awkward and funnier.
I felt unbelievably self-conscious as I took my school blouse and skirt off. I was standing in the hottest guy ever's house, with nothing but my bra and undies on. I could feel myself go bright red like a tomato. The shirt Kye gave me was long sleeved and black; it was kind of my style, though I prefer bright colours. It went to just above my knees. Well, great. I pulled on the faded blue, ripped jeans tucked the shirt into that. I think I looked pretty nice; my hair was still out, though it wasn’t overly frizzy yet, but I wasn’t sure because there were no mirrors. I left my black converses at the door as I headed towards kitchen.
I came in to see Kye sitting on the counter eating cookies. That was the smell, as soon as I walked in the house a sweet chocolately smell hit me, though I couldn't figure out what it was because there was something else mixed with it. It wasn't replusive, but it wasn't inviting either.
His eyes bulged when he saw me and I followed his emerald eyes as he gave me a once over. I felt even more self-conscious, which I don't think was possible, I started fidgeting and tried to fix my shirt and flatten my hair. “What? What’s wrong?” I asked.
“Nothing, you look beautiful, that’s all.” I smiled and looked at the ground, beyond happy that Kye thought I was beautiful. Which was weird because I was only wearing a shirt and jeans.
“Come on,” he said, “Let me give you the grand tour of the second floor.” He laughed and held out his hand, I put mine in his, it felt so natural to do it. Then he led me out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Upstairs was very much like downstairs, though it was narrower and much brighter, which was strange considering there were no skylights or lamp. Kye showed me the bathroom, which I was surprised to see a mirror in, the study, which had an amazing computer and laptop on a beautiful large glass desk; something that I would die for. But the room I was most surprised to see was the painting studio. There was no back wall, just a massive window that looked out onto a perfectly cared for garden and the rest of the town. The floor was covered in tarps and there half-finished paintings everywhere.
“Wow, does your mother paint?” I turned to look at him, only to see him look at the ground and run his hand through his still damp hair. I guessed that was something he did when he was embarrassed or nervous. I mock coughed to get his attention, but he still didn’t look at me. “Alright,” I said to myself, as I started walking around and looking at all the paintings. They were amazing, gallery worth paintings. There was one of a sandy beach with pale yellow sand and turquoise water. The painting looked so real, I felt I could walk into and be instantly transported to the sunny beach and cool waves. It was strange, I could almost smell the salt water and feel the suns warmth on my skin.
“These are incredible,” Kye’s head picked up at my comment, and he started walking towards me. I walked towards another painting of what I think was Italy. I got the same feeling from this painting as I did from the beach. I could almost hear the voices of the people painted and the chic cafe and smell the pizza being cooked at the store down the lane.
“Whoever painted these,” I let the comment hang there, hoping to get an answer as to who the artist was. Then my eye wondered to the bottom left of the painting and found the initials K.W painted. I went back to the Beach landscape and found the same initials.
“It’s you,” I looked up at him, astonishment plain on my face. “You painted these?” I couldn’t believe that anyone could paint this perfectly. I was starting to think that everything in this house was perfect.
“Uh, yeah,” Kye started he did his usual embarrassed thing of looking at the ground as he continued, “I paint in my spare time. It helps me to relax.” In this room, he looked like a boy, so vulnerable. I could tell this was a place he didn’t let anyone into so I felt really honoured that he would let me in here. So I wasn’t offended when he offered to show me the rest of the house. He took my hand in his and led me out of the room.
When we got to the next room, I went to open the door, my hand had just gotten to the doorknob when Kye pushed his way between me and the door. “No, don’t go in this room.” His eyes darted around nervously, as if looking for some invisible being.
“Why?” I asked. I couldn’t think of why he would let me in to his private studio, but not this room.
His eyes then turned to me. His stare was so intense I had to momentarily look away, “Whatever you do, never, ever, go in this room, okay?” He was so serious; I was actually scared of him for a moment. His voice had dropped at least and octave and there was a hint of a threat in what he had told me. But even that didn't change my curiosity about what was behind that door that he didn't want me to see. It couldn't be that bad. Or could it?
My throat constricted so I only nodded. “Good, now let’s go down here a bit, I want to show you my room.” He looked away as he finished that sentence, and I felt him tense beside me. I nearly fainted at the idea of seeing his room. I wondered what it would look like. With guys I think it was either incredibly messy, or incredibly tidy. We stopped outside a room with his name stuck on it in bold, black writing. I felt him take a deep breath as he opened the door.
The first thing that struck me about his room was that it was incredibly organised and clean. His desk was piled with books, a laptop and his school bag. But the thing I most loved about his room was the posters on his wall. He had posters of my favourite bands and some that I didn’t know. His room had the same woody cedar smell that I'd noticed on Kye. There was also a guitar in the corner. He could play an instrument, Kye just kept getting better.
“It’s official, I’m in love your room.” He laughed and I tried to show him I was serious but his laugh was so gosh darn contagious that I found myself giggling like a 6 year old. He plopped on his bed and put his I-pod on, it was one of my favourite songs and soon I found myself singing along.
“Whoa,” he said, his jaw dropped and his eyes were huge. I stopped singing and blushed.
“What, what’s wrong?” I couldn’t think of anything that I’d done to get this reaction. I looked down at my clothes and straightened things, thinking that that was the problem.
“Nothing’s wrong, it was your voice.” Oh no. I didn’t know I was singing that loudly.
“Oh, sorry Kye, it’s just that I love that song and,” but he put a hand up to stop me from going on.
“Don’t apologise. Your voice is amazing.” I blushed but kept my eyes on him. I took a few steps closer to him and he moved over so I could sit next to him on the bed.
“Really? You think so?” He kept staring at me, not answering, but leaning into me. My heart skipped a beat as I realised what he was doing. I felt myself lean forward as he put his hand on my waist. I felt my heart leap out of my chest, felt my lungs taking in short ragged breaths, but just as we were about to kiss, I heard the front door open. Kye’s eyes darted about as he jumped up and out of the room. I was left there with my heart still pounding, trying to catch my breath and thinking about how close we were to kissing.
I heard Kye coming back muttering curses to himself. “She’s not meant to be home until tomorrow morning!” I heard him mumble.
“Hey, Kye, what’s wrong?” I put my hand on his arm and felt his muscles tense at my touch.
“My sister’s home.” He grabbed a book and went to hurl it at the wall, but before I even thought about it, my hand was on his arm, pulling him back. I pulled my hand and blinked at it, I'd never moved that fast in my life.
I shook my head and dismissed the thought, focusing on what was happening, “Oh, right, umm sorry, I guess I’ll head out then.” I went to head towards the door, but Kye’s hand grabbed my waist and he turned me around to face him.
“No, don’t go,” his eyes were pleading and I couldn’t say no to him, so I smiled and nodded up at him. He beamed at me, but then turned serious. “But she can’t know you’re here.” He said, almost as if to himself. Next thing I knew, he ran across the room and then leaped out the window. I was too shocked to scream. He moved at superhuman pace, and didn’t even pause before he leaped out of the window. I tripped over my feet as I rushed over to the window to see if he was alright. I stuck my head out the window only to see him smiling up at me, not a hair out of place, almost as if he walked down, not plummeted down.. He out a finger to his lips, a silent message to keep quite, then he held out his arms. He wanted me to jump out the window? What was he, insane? I was two stories up! He saw my expression and mouthed ‘Don’t worry, I’ll always catch you’. I listened for any movement downstairs and heard someone coming up the stairs, I was running out of time.
Not seeing any alternative I kicked one leg out the window then the other. I looked down as I sat on the ledge and stared at him worryingly. His eyes were warm and I immediately forgot what I was so scared about and I closed my eyes and pushed myself off the windowsill, just as someone was beginning to open the door to Kye's room.
I felt the wind whip against me for less than a second then Kye’s soft, protective arms were wrapped around me.
“Told you I’d always catch you.” He whispered to me, and then gently kissed me on the nose as he lowered me to the ground. I felt light-headed, whether that was from Kye’s show of affection or from throwing myself from a building, I wasn't sure. He grabbed my hand and we ran to the back fence and he helped me over before lifting himself, what I thought was, too easily over and then we started running towards the beach, laughing. I almost didn't notice the face that was looking at me through the window next to Kye's room.
I don’t know how long we were out for, just walking. Sometimes we talked, only about how our day had been, no personal questions though; which was annoying because I really wanted to know more about Kye. He was so nice to me and open; most guys are all closed off and moody. Other times we just walked. Up and down the bay on the white sand and the turquoise water. I know, it’s highly cliché but that’s the way Summer Bay is, everything is tourist-y perfect. When the street lights finally flickered on, we decided to head back home.
I took a deep breath of the salty air, and was immediately reminded of the painting in Kye's studio. “Kye, this afternoon was really fun,” I smiled at him and he practically beamed back at me. One thing about this boy; he loved compliments and that you were having a good time. He reminded me of a puppy sometimes, always responding to positive words.
“I was about to say the same thing, you know,” he looked around then, but I think I caught him blush. He opened his mouth to say something the shut it. He did this a couple times, then he ran a hand through his hair and kicked the sand.
“Come on, you need to say something, spit it out,” I prompted Kye. He grinned back at me and took my hand. We’d only known each other for a few hours, but I was already so comfortable around him that I intertwined my fingers in his.
“Well,” he started, I smiled at him, signalling him to keep going, “it’s late and stuff and I thought you might be hungry, so yeah, umm I was wondering if you wanted to go out and grab something to eat.” He was staring at the sand and blushing profusely, which I thought was utterly adorable. I was just about to tell him that I would love to, but then my phone started vibrating like hell and it scared me half to death. I was too used to the calm of the beach and the stillness of everything that the movement of my phone felt exaggerated.
“Relax, Hay, it's just your phone,” He grinned at me, and I knew he was trying to hide his laugh.
“Oh be quite you,” I laughed at him and grabbed my phone. “Hello,” I practically sung into my phone.
“Hay. Is that you?” I rolled my eyes, it was practically a reflex that happened every time dad talked to me.
“Hey, yeah it’s me what’s up?” Kye must have heard my voice changed to monotone and quite, because he quirked an eyebrow at me. Something I have always wished to do. I ignored him as I tried to pay attention to what dad was saying and not Kye’s hopelessly irresistible eyes.
“I’m home. Where are you?” Great. He was mad, that’s exactly what I needed. Now I was going to go home, and get the worlds’ longest lecture, off the world most boring man.
“I’m at the beach”, I’d gotten into the habit ages ago of giving one line answers whenever I talked to him.
“Why aren’t you at home?” Now he sounded really mad.
“I forgot my keys,” taking my chance before he interrupted me I explain myself, “and before you get all mad, I did call you, and text you, repeatedly. But you were out somewhere and didn’t get them. Also, I’m not by myself so don’t freak out, I’m with a friend. Now you may continue.” It wouldn’t take him long to figure out something to complain about in this explanation, I was right.
“Friend, what friend? I didn’t know you hung out with your friend on week nights? Who is she?” He spat out the word friend like it caused him physical pain to say it. Great, now I had to explain that I was out with a boy, this would be fun.
“His name is Kye.” I mumbled the word his, hoping that dad would skip over that fact. I was so, so wrong.
“His?! You’re out at night? With a boy?” Perfect. I had to take my head away from the phone because he was yelling so loud. Kye saw what was going on and before I could react he took my phone and started talking to dad. I tried grabbing the phone of him but he kept turning and dodging me when I reached.
“Excuse me? Sir? My name is Kye, sir. I’m really very sorry that I’ve kept your daughter out so late. We simply lost track of time while we were studying.” Kye winked at me, so I’m guessing that he didn’t want my dad to know what we were up to any more than me. There was a pause in the conversation, while dad, I was guessing, was telling him off or something. “Yes sir, I know I should have asked you if I could see you daughter.” Another pause. “Of course sir it won’t happen again.”
He pursed his lips and looked around, trying to avoid my eyes. “Well?” I was almost afraid of what I might hear. That because of my dad’s outburst Kye wouldn’t want to see me anymore.
“He, err, sounds like he cares a lot about you that’s for sure.” He smiled but still didn’t look at me. I was too freaked out to even try and understand what Kye meant. Luckily the bewilderment showed on my face and he kept going. “Well he, uh, told me where I could go if I didn’t get you home, like, right now.” He finally looked at me as I slapped my hand on my forehead and started shaking my head.
“Arg, sorry about him. He’s so… so… there’s no word for him. He’s just... Arg!.” I looked up at Kye trying to show him how sorry I was for what my stupid dad said. He grinned, showing that it was alright. Then he took hold of my hand as started walking back home. His hand was so smooth, but he held mine firmly, like he would never let go.

Sooner than I hoped we were at the road leading to our houses. “You know what Kye?” he looked down at me with a smile on his face, an invitation to keep going. “This afternoon was really fun.” But I wasn’t going to mention the fact that all I could think about what that room he wouldn’t let me in to.
“Really?” He sounded shocked, “Uh, I mean I thought so too.” His surprise caught me off guard, I’d thought he’d had a good day as well. We had gotten to the shabby front steps of my house. A far cry from the varnished timber up to his front porch, heck, we didn’t even have a front porch, just up 5 steps and bam, there’s our front door. We stood at the base of the stairs in an awkward silence. “Well,” I started, “I’d better head in before dad comes out.” I was being serious, I did not want dad out here to make this worse, and if dad had started drinking, which is very likely, things could turn bad, and quick.. But Kye thought I was joking and laughed.
“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” He looked over to his house, and I saw the curtains at the front window move. Was someone there? Kye turned back to me and smiled again, though it looked off and forced.
“So, I’ll see you tomorrow?” I really hoped the answer was yes, I’d only known Kye for an afternoon and I knew without a doubt that I wanted to see him again.
He smiled his gorgeous smile at me, “Definitely, well it’s the weekend, we should do something.” I practically screamed inside my head. Trying to play it cool, I nodded and smiled at him. Then I felt him lean in toward me. Trying not to freak out, I started leaning into him. He cupped his hands to my face and our lips met. Fireworks exploded inside me. It was amazing, our lips moulded together and it felt so natural that I couldn’t believe that this was the first time we’d kissed. He dropped his hands slowly from my check to my neck, shoulder, arm, waist and them eventually to the small of my back. Pulling me closer to him I moved my hands around his neck and pulled my fingers through his soft black hair.
“HAYLEY!” Dad! Why now? Kye started pulling back and, grudgingly, I did too. Luckily I kept my ‘pout face’ in check and I don’t think he saw how disappointed I was.
“Right,” Kye said, a proud grinned splashed on his face, “I’d better get going.” He turned back to his house and his smile faltered a bit.
I cringed at him, “Yeah, I should probably head in too, I think dad needs me.” I laughed, hoping to break the awkward-ice. I started walking back up the steps to my house but when I turned around to wave good-bye, Kye was already gone. A lone, grey and black cat was sitting on his driveway, where before there was nothing, and I swore it was looking right at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is sort of a note for all of the chapters. They are long. I realise that, but I couldn't find a better way to split them up. If you .ave another idea just leave a comment or message me/