Sweet Stuff

1/1

Debra woke with a sore head, and when she looked in the mirror in the bathroom as she brushed her teeth she felt like she could pass out.

Really, she should have known that inviting her friends round with alcohol and hair dye in the same house was never going to end well. But she wasn't expecting this. Red, blue, yellow and green all over her hair. Surprisingly neatly done, it couldn't have been done by her hand because she'd been way too far gone. She pulled a face, knowing one of her nearest and dearest must have manipulated her drunkenly into letting them do this.

'This is why I both love and hate my friends,' she thought to herself, trying to straighten the rainbow that was her hair. Once Debra had fixed it so it was looking neat enough though, the colors were shining and she could feel herself falling in love with the brightness of it all; hangover and all.

"After this, though, it's back to brown," she told herself firmly, going back to relax on her bed and thank the gods that she had the house to herself.

Last night had helped take her mind off it, but now all she could think of was why they'd been round. She was alone, and had been for ages. She'd once had a chance at love, and she'd let it slip through her fingers.

Debra sighed, closing her eyes and remembering her and Ray's last meeting before he'd left. His hair was cut shorter than normal and his gaze had been unwavering as he asked her for the millionth time if she was sure she didn't mind him leaving. She'd said no, even though she'd minded terribly. It had been bad enough the thought of her boyfriend leaving for America for eighteen months, and worse when she herself had suggested they take a break during that time.

Always fiercely independent, she hadn't wanted him to know how scared she was, scared he would leave her, scared of missing him, scared of him seeing her weak side. And most scared of him finding somebody else over there and ending it. But Debra didn't want Raymond to know that, he only knew her strong side. Only a handful of her closest friends, if that, had seen her cry.

So they'd parted as friends with a chaste kiss from Ray onto Debra's cheek as she bit back tears that threatened to spill out and make her cling to him and beg him not to leave.

Six of the eighteen months had passed and those tears felt ready to break free every single day. And now Debra was alone, no matter how bright her hair was, the lump fought it's way into her throat and her eyes stung and she sobbed weakly into her pillow.

"I miss him," she whispered between sobs, finally admitting it to herself. Ending it hadn't made the pain any easier to deal with.

Debra was just pulling herself back under her covers in her pajama's when the doorbell rang. She'd seen Amy's bag under the bed and Hazel's jacket by the window so she assumed it was one of them coming to get their stuff so she was happy to go to the door barely dressed and with her face still red from crying.

"Hey, nice hair. I leave you for five minutes and this is what happens?"

She stood gaping. Debra had expected her friends, but instead stood Raymond, two suitcases by his feet. He spread his arms wide and enveloped her into a hug and she sobbed into his chest, the shock ad relief of seeing him breaking down all her inhibitions. After a few moments though she composed herself and pulled away.

"I probably shouldn't hug you like that, I bet you've got some pretty girlfriend who's super possessive," she tried to make a joke, but her voice came out strangled.

"Come to think of it, there was a busty brunette who was head over heels for me. Angelina Jolie, she was called," Ray joked and Debra landed a punch on his arm and he pretended to flinch away. The same old banter as always. "I didn't just come back for the food you know," he added, his voice softening.

He didn't need to finish his sentence, just pulled Debra in a little closer and kissed the top of her colorful hair.

"You look like candy," he muttered, stroking the strands that were falling across her face.

"It's only temporary."

"Things in life tend to be that way."

They stared at each other for a moment before sharing a small, hesitant kiss and falling back into the embrace that was oh, so comfortable and safe. Debra breathed in his scent as he nuzzled into her hair.

"Hello again, sweet stuff."