‹ Prequel: Over Christmas Break
Sequel: Hope For Moving On
Status: complete

Over Spring Break

A Day With David

The next morning, I awoke with a start as I felt the bile rising in my throat. I quickly ran to the sparkling white bathroom and let out last night’s dinner into the toilet. As I wiped my mouth with toilet paper, I heard someone in the hallway. I expected it to be David but saw Jenny standing there instead, clad in only a t-shirt.

“You dirty girl,” I hoarsely commented on her attire.

“Says the one puking her guts out in the bathroom,” was her response, it kind of struck a nerve.

“True, but I love David for who he is as a person, not for being a Toews. Now, I do not doubt that Jon’s charm made your socks come off last night, but you sure didn’t waste anytime.”

“If you remember correctly, you knew David a few days before getting it on after the hockey game.”

“Okay, I’ll give you that. Now, help me up?” I requested from my spot on the floor. Our battle was forgotten the moment she helped me get up. We headed into the kitchen and I saw Jon baking pancakes in just his boxer shorts. I shrugged and figured it was what this entire apartment was up to today. He served me a small plate with some water. I gave him a small smile and slowly devoured them as Jon and Jenny went back to bed. I made myself comfortable on the couch and flipped the TV on. I ended up watching Reba, like the gold old days, and fell asleep.

“Babe, wake up,” I heard David’s voice. I slowly opened my eyes.

“Humph,” I murmured.

“I thought you might be hungry. It’s three o’clock.”

“Damn, I slept that long? I’m sorry,” I immediately apologized and my stomach growled.

“Don’t worry, I got a work out in, so it was fine. Let’s go get you some food. I ordered ahead to a diner just around the block,” he suggested. I agreed and retrieved my coat from his room with my shoes before we headed out.

“So, what did you order me?” I asked snuggling up to his side as we walked the cold Chicago streets in the middle of March.

“I ordered a salad for the both of us, a burger for you, and a turkey melt for me. I hope that sounds good.”

“As long as there’s no onion, I’ll be okay,” he nodded and stopped us in front of a ‘whole in the wall’ kind of diner. It was cute enough, not busy, and I hoped the food was good because I was starving. He opened the painted door that read Maggie’s.

We sat in a booth towards the back and a waitress asked what we would like to drink. We ended up getting water and it was returned with our salads. In just enough time, our food was delivered. We talked during lunch, about practically everything that we had missed in the last two months especially. He explained how hard he was working at hockey, moving out and in with Jon. He told me he didn’t even go out with the team after games because of his choice to not drink anymore. He just used the time he used to getting healed from a hangover to work out, like this morning.

I told him about New Years with the Hawks and Florida in general. Than going back to school and learning about the baby, the doctor’s appointment for confirming my pregnancy. I even explained some of the new material in class. We never had an awkward moment like before, or even yesterday when we weren’t quite sure how this next phase in our life would work out. Now, we were two people who knew what they wanted and we wanted each other. It was really as simple as that.

We headed back to Jon’s where I got my clothes and Jenny so we could head back home. I promised David that I would call him later and be at his next home game, no matter the city. We kissed goodbye and I drove Jenny and I back to Gram’s in her car. We switched when we got there so she could go back to NIU and I could go home.

I got home a while later to see my brother and step-sisters home. My step-dad was at work and my mom was too.

“Hey, bozo brain!” was my greeting to my baby brother. He was 16 now, but still my baby bro, yet taller than me by almost a foot and we looked nothing alike. He had a big nose, I had a smaller one. He was tall and lanky; I was short and on the squattier side, but not fat. And his hair was still a blondish color while mine was auburn with red highlights, natural of course.

“What’s up, preggo?” he asked.

“Jerk,” was my quick response. “What’s for dinner?”

“Whatever you make, the ‘rents are going on a date.”

“Eww, have you seen any movies lately, girls?” I asked the twins, Jessica and Jordan. The two were identical and few could tell them apart. They each had shoulder length blonde curly hair and blue eyes that went well with their many freckles.

“No, Daddy won’t let us,” the more girly of the two, Jess, replied.

“Well, find one you want to see and we’ll go. My treat, we can bring in drinks and candy though.”

“YAY!” the ten year olds cheered and got out the iPad to look up movies. They decided on The Lorax and we headed out, without my brother, to see the seven o’clock showing. We stopped at the Wal-Mart next to Gordman’s and Red Robin where David and I visited my first weekend home in December to buy candy and drinks. The girls helped me hide everything in our purses and we got our tickets once inside. We headed for the theatre and got seats in the top row so the girls could see.
The movie lasted about two hours and was quite funny for a children’s movie. It was a great girls’ night and we were home by ten after stopping for ice cream. The girls showered and went to bed. My brother stumbled in at curfew and hit the sheets directly. I took the time to text David to see if he was still awake. His response was a phone call.

“Hey,” I answered.

“I thought you forgot,” he replied.

“I took the girls to a movie and ice cream, so we just got home. Sorry. Do you know where you’ll be playing tomorrow? Chicago or Rockford?” was my next question.

“Q told Jon to bring me to practice at the UC in the morning,” I figured he was smiling at this point. If he wasn’t, he was the craziest man alive.

“That’s great, Dave. Amazing really,” I rushed out in excitement.

“So, you’ll be there tomorrow?”

“I told you I would, David. Three o’clock game time in Chicago, right?” he confirmed it. “I’ll get Jenny to come. We should be down by noon if I can get her up.”

“Sounds great, I’ll even skip my nap.”

“No, you won’t. When I get there, I’ll just join you. You need to play just like yesterday if you want to stay in Chicago.”

“Fine, but you better be here by 12:30 because that’s my wake up call.”

“I will be. I love you, David. Now, get some sleep.”

“Love you too, babe. Goodnight,” and he was gone, so I texted Jenny to see if she wanted to go and went to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are nice.