Phoenix

Sapphire

Two Phoenixes fly above the clouds, the tips of their wings lightly fluttering in the wind. The slightly larger of the two, with wings of pure gold and a body of deep red with undertones of dozens of colors. She soars with a slight waver of uncertainty showing in the shivers of her wings. Her companion, though smaller, shows a very obvious confidence in her figure and her strong build. She is a shocking shade of deep blue with streaks of silver that sparkle when her feathers catch the light. She is a striking sight against the dark gray of the clouds. The Golden Phoenix stares at the beautiful Blue-Silver Phoenix with a tender adoration in her eyes. She continues to fly as if oblivious to her companion’s obvious infatuation. They fly off with no apparent destination in mind. The Blue-Silver Phoenix’s eyes look as if they are burning Sapphires. Though her grace and strength can be seen on the outside, when the Ruby-Red Phoenix looks into those eyes, she can see a battle in which the Sapphire is losing.
“Sapphire.” The Red-Gold Phoenix whispers to herself with a hint of recognition in her trembling voice. She is remembering now, the name of her companion, her desire.
Sapphire turns to look at her and her eyes are still on fire. She remembers too. Then she drops, her body limply falling to meet the ground. The wind bites at her and her feathers billow around her descending form. The ferocious gusts calm, and lead her to a soft patch of grass on a rocky beach. The Red-Gold Phoenix surges downward landing on the beach as a tall woman, her feathers shed. She seems to glide towards Sapphire, who lies, trembling in her frail human form with pale pink skin and soft blonde hair.
Just before she reaches her, another woman emerges from the dark fog. She seems to glow in the moonlight. The Red-Gold Phoenix glares at her with an apparent jealousy and contempt. This new beauty with hazel eyes and olive skin floats over to Sapphire and begins to stroke her shivering body, instantly calming her. A monster rears inside the Red-Gold Phoenix. The woman stroking Sapphire coos to her lovingly. Her fingers begin to lengthen, turning into ferocious claws that rip into the Sapphires yielding skin, leaving lines of dripping red. She screams and convulses, trying to move away from the Hazel-Eyed woman while attempting to stay as close as possible. The Hazel-Eyed woman stands up, her work done, and walks away. The Sapphire Phoenix wails and as the Hazel-Eyed woman floats off, the Golden Phoenix woman glimpses her become a massive black dragon before disappearing into the fog.
The Golden Phoenix rushes towards Sapphire and looks into her eyes. The wailing is more than just the passing physical pain, but the permanent emotional infection that will forever plague her heart. The Golden Phoenix knows that she will forever be compared to those piercing Hazel eyes. She places one soft kiss on Sapphire’s temple. She stands up and tears fall out of her eyes onto Sapphire’s wounds. She lifts her arms and soars into the sky, more uncertain than ever before.