‹ Prequel: Like Fire & Gasoline

Playing With Fire

Fresh Start

James ran around the apartment, muttering to himself under his breath. He couldn't for the life of him remember where his shoes were, or his keys for that matter. Naturally, he was already running late. He ran a hand through his perfect chestnut hair, a string of curse words floating off his lips.

"Behind the x-box, on top of the ice cream in the freezer," Logan called from his spot lounging on the couch. James blinked a few times in shock; he had been nearly certain his roommate had been sleeping. Showed where his head was...

He followed the instructions and found his shoes tucked half-way behind the game console. He slipped them on quickly before wandering into the kitchen. He opened the freezer to humor Logan, but his jaw dropped to see the keys to his convertible dangling half off a carton of rocky road.

"Thanks man," he said, walking back through the living room to grab his wallet.

"No problem. What's the rush anyway?" Logan inquired, his lips twitching into a smile at James's frazzled expression.

"I'm supposed to be meeting an old friend for lunch."

"Old friend? What are you? Middle -aged?"

"Shut up," James laughed, tossing a throw pillow at the pale boy's face. "He's my best friend from all throughout school, basically. You remember Reece McKnight, don't you?"

"Uh, the tall, blond, buff business intern with the awesome sense of humor?" Logan paused as James nodded. "Yeah, I remember him. He's the one that helped me move all of Kendall's stuff onto the roof a few years back on April Fool's Day."

"That's the one. We're catching up. He said he wanted to talk to me about something," James shrugged, finally grabbing his worn brown wallet from the glass end table and shoving it in his pocket.

"Oh, you're in trouble," Logan sang jokingly.

"Okay, how old are you? Six, or twenty-six?" James shot back with a roll of his hazel eyes.

"Age is only a number. Besides, I remember a time when you were just as childish, back before-"

Logan stopped abruptly, his chocolate eyes involuntarily turning the size of saucers as he realized his mistake. A chill ran down James's spine. The other boy hadn't even finished his sentence, but James knew exactly where he had been going with it. He turned his back on his friend, headed to the door.

"I'm sorry, bro. I wasn't thinking. You know I didn't-"

"It's fine," James brushed off, looking back quickly. "It was three years ago. I'm over it. I'm over her."

With that he was out the door before Logan could question it. Yet even as he started up the car, the comment rang around in his head. He closed his eyes and rested his forehead on the steering wheel for a few moments. He could still picture her perfect golden curls and sparkling cerulean eyes, rolling at him with a simple, loving smirk.

It had been a little over three years since he saw her last. Three years since he had been that childish, carefree person Logan remembered. When she left, she took most of him with her. No matter what he said, he didn't know whether or not he would ever really be over her, or forget her for that matter. But she changed him for the better, the parts she left behind were much greater than the person he'd been what seemed like a lifetime ago. Still, it was hard not to be bitter about it.

He shook the thoughts from his head, turning the key in the ignition. The purr of the engine shot to life, and some pop song blasted through his speakers. It was just loud enough to tear his thoughts away from her. The streets of Los Angeles weren't nearly as crowded as usual, and James was grateful. It left less time for him to drown in his thoughts, like he did so often lately.

He found the little restaurant easily, and parked with ease against the curb. He quickly flipped his hair out of his eyes and straightened his shirt before getting out of the car. People walked briskly by him on the sidewalk with barely a second glance. There was always someone more famous to chase after; it didn't bother James. He was past the days of screaming fan-girls.

He pulled open the door of the small building, and a bell dinged to announce his arrival. A few customers glanced up, but most were to entranced with their conversations or food to notice. The place looked bigger on the inside, and it was filled with cozy vinyl booths and round tables with intricate metal chairs.

"Hey, J, is that you?" a smooth voice called, and James turned his head.

A grin spread across his lips as he walked over to where his old friend sat. Reece stood up, shaking his hand and giving him a half-hug. Reece's neatly cut hair looked as if it were still a little wet from getting ready that morning, but other than that, he looked as he always had; perfect, clean cut with a light blue button up tucked into his dark jeans. His jade eyes sparkled as they sat down, inspecting the changes in the other.

"It's been to long, man," James commented, leaning back in his chair.

"Way too long," Reece responded. "So what have I all missed? What have you been up to since your band decided to go it's separate ways?"

"Well, Logan and I, we've been working on our own label and on a lot of producing. It's slow, but it's getting there. And we still see the others almost every day. It's not much, but it's great...What about you, Reece? I haven't heard anything since the internship in NYC."

Reece laughed, the noise heartily filling up the room. It was one of the reasons James had befriended him back in elementary school. He was just one of those people that made you happy to be around. His enthusiasm and his genuineness wore off on everyone he talked to.

"It's been great. I actually just got a job at a pretty great corporation here in the city," he explained.

"That's great. We'll be on the same coast and continent for once!"

"I know, it's a real miracle! But actually, there's something I wanted to talk to you about."

"Shoot."

"Well, uh, I'm engaged! I'm getting married to the girl of my dreams in three months."

"Oh wow, congrats! Who would've thought shy little Reece would be the first to get married?" James teased, and Reece chuckled.

"I know, my money was on you being married three times before I even made it to the alter," he countered good-naturedly.

"Harsh," James laughed. "But I mean, really, good for you. And in three months? Wow."

"Well, we've been dating for awhile. I actually met her in New York a little over two years ago, but she's from around here, and when I got the job, I just knew I wanted her by my side for it all, forever. Thankfully, she wanted the same things."

"Well, that's....really mushy, actually. You've turned soft, Reece."

"Aw, shut up. Anyway, I didn't come here to gossip like all the sorority girls. I'd actually really like if you'd be my best man. I mean, I know we haven't talked in awhile, but you're my best friend, bro, and I couldn't imagine anyone else standing up there with me. What do you say?" Reece asked hopefully, and James sat there dumbfounded.

Finally, his lips turned into a giant beam as he shook his head, clapping his friend on the shoulder. For once, he wasn't lost in his own thoughts, he was just being happy with his ecstatic best friend.

"Best man, huh? I suppose I could do that," James teased, and Reece breathed a sigh of relief.

"That's great, because I don't really know anyone else here, so you weren't only my first choice, but my only choice..."

"Thanks man," James said sarcastically.

"No problem, bro," Reece shot back with a huge grin.

"So when do I get to meet the lucky lady?"

"I think she'll be here soon... Never mind, scratch that. Here she comes now."

Reece stood up and walked to meet his fiancée. The soft look on his face made James shake his head, the smile still lurking on his lips. Oh, to be so in love. It seemed almost foreign to James. He turned just as Reece was kissing his girl hello. When the couple pulled apart, James's eyes widened in shock.

The big, cerulean eyes of the young woman did the same as she saw his face. Her porcelain skin drained of what little color was there originally. She looked like she had seen a ghost, and James was almost positive he looked the same way, but Reece was too busy making introductions to notice.

"I'm so glad you're finally here, sweetheart. This is James, the guy I've been telling you about. And James, this is my fiancée Bridgette Thomas."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, we're off with a bang!!! To everyone that's stuck with me to this point, thank you, thank you, thank you a million times. I love you. And I'm so excited for this, I hope you are too.

So, let's hear your predictions right off the bat! I mean, this can't be good,can it? (;

xxxo, Sara