‹ Prequel: Like Fire & Gasoline

Playing With Fire

Lemon Juice

"As you can see, our hotel offers a beautiful environment as well as a very friendly staff. Any party you have here will be executed to perfection," a middle aged woman informed them, fixing her pencil skirt as she escorted them around the giant building.

"I see," Bridgette said nervously. The whole ordeal with James had her on edge, and he was supposed to be here ten minutes ago. She wasn't sure whether she wanted him to come rushing in or bail.

"And just let me say, you two are a lovely couple."

"I tell them that all the time," Olivia joined, an amused grin on her face.

"It's so nice to see such a young, successful couple."

"It really is," Olivia agreed enthusiastically. Bridgette nudged her in the ribs and her grin faltered. She stuck her tongue out at Bridgette behind the hotel manager's back and continued walking.

"How many are you expecting to show up?" the woman asked, and Olivia was off the hook.

"Uh, I think there are going to be about a hundred people?" Reece asked, his eyes flickering to Bridgette. She bit her lip, her eyes rolling to the ceiling as she tried to remember.

"It sounds right," she murmured, tightening her grip on his arm as they strolled through the hotel. She glanced back at Olivia, who looked over the pale green notebook she was carrying along.

"Uh, forty-seven people on Reece's side, sixty from yours, so yeah, just over a hundred," Olivia confirmed, tapping the pen against the lined paper.

"Our ballroom will have plenty of room for that," the hotel manager informed them, her black pumps making a muted clicking as they passed through the hallway.

"And you guys can cater the party as well?" Reece asked, sounding perfectly at ease. His thumb rubbed the back of Bridgette's hand, and she relaxed a little against him.

"Of course. I can get a menu for you to look over, if you'd like," the manager said cheerfully, leading them past a conference room.

"Yes, that would be fantastic, thank you," Reece smiled, and Bridgette finally managed to grin. Something about his contagious happiness always made her melt. It was one of the things she loved most about him, and he made her better for it.

Finally, the lady lead them through beautiful French doors. The wide open room was elegant and airy, and the dark hardwood flooring gleamed from the light allowed in through large windows. It was mainly empty aside from tables and chairs scattered throughout the edges of the room. Bridgette craned her neck to see that even the ceiling held a regal quality with carvings and moldings.

"Alright, this is our ballroom. We can rearrange the tables any way you would like, and music can be set up and played. The costs are all standard, and we can discuss food once you decide if that's the route you want to go. You would have the freedom to decorate as you please, provided you provide the decorations, of course, and set them up. You would also be in charge of assisting with the clean up," the manager explained, pointing at various places around the room.

"It all sounds great," Bridgette said, eyes wide as she looked around. Reece opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by heavy footsteps against the hardwood floors of the ballroom.

"I'm sorry, things were running late at the label," James panted apologetically, his eyes carefully avoiding Bridgette. Olivia shot him a suspicious glance before going over something in her notebook.

"Not a big deal," Reece waved off before turning his attention back to the older woman. "Would you mind if we had a few moments to talk about everything and take this all in?"

"Of course," she said with a too-big smile before turning and briskly exiting the room. "I'll find that menu while you all talk."

"What did I miss?" James asked, running a hand through his shaggy chestnut hair.

"This is where we want to have the engagement party. I mean, we had to pull a few strings since it's in two weeks, but other then that..." Reece went on explaining every last detail to James. Bridgette walked a few steps away and made a face at Olivia, which neither of the guys noticed. Olivia's eyes were wide as she ogled at James freely.

"He got even more cute," she mouthed, and Bridgette swiftly smacked the back of her head. Olivia's raven curls flew everywhere and she winced silently.

"Don't even start," Bridgette warned in a low tone. The boys remained oblivious as they talked business. Every so often, James's eyes would dare to dance over to where Olivia and Bridgette stood, but never for more than a few seconds.

"I was just saying," Olivia teased, her tone hinting at more than that. "No need to be so sensitive."

“So?” Reece asked expectantly. “What do you think?”

The girl's attention was drawn back into the conversation. Reece's glowing brown eyes flickered between the other three. Bridgette forced James from her mind and grinned up at her husband-to-be.

“I think it’s perfect. This is gonna be amazing,” Bridgette said, looping her arm in his and going up on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek gently.

“I think I’m gonna be sick,” James mumbled bitterly under his breath, quickly averting his eyes to the gleaming floor. Olivia raised her eyebrows in annoyance, luckily being the only one that heard.

“And I think you’re as sour as straight up lemon juice," she whispered in his ear before turning to Bridgette and Reece. James glared up at her and bit his tongue. "I for one think this is an awesome hookup. I say this is the spot. What do you think James?"

All eyes turned to him, and he squirmed uncomfortably. "I think it's pretty great, too."

His voice was distant and his eyes were shooting daggers at Olivia, but no one gave it a second thought. Reece's smile transformed into an all-out beam, and he kissed Bridgette excitedly.

"This is it then. This is where we're gonna have the engagement party!"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been awhile, sorry. I tried to update this earlier, but mibba wouldn't let me :/

AAAAAAAAAAAAAnyway, thank you for sticking with it, things are gonna be really great, I have great plans for this story, just give me a chance to get them out, kay? Thanks.(:

xxxo, Sara