‹ Prequel: Like Fire & Gasoline

Playing With Fire

Honestly

Bridgette twirled a loose strand of hair nervously and took a deep breathe before walking through the door. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun, and there were lilac circles under her eyes. Her mind kept replaying her words and actions the night before, and the guilt was consuming her. She knew she was impulsive and had a temper sometimes, but it had never gotten the best of her, never like it had last night.

"Hello?" Reece called at the sound, and Bridgette slid her flats off before walking towards the living room, where his voice had echoed from.

"It's me. I have the day off so I wanted to see-" She paused dead in her tracks when she saw a head of chestnut locks sitting on the couch next to her fiance. James's face was indifferent, and his eyes were locked in on the television as if she wasn't even there.

"James and I were watching the game," Reece explained apologetically, and Bridgette gave him a weak smile before returning her gaze to James.

"I'll just call Liv and see what what she's up to," Bridgette said with a wave of her hand, trying to keep her composure and get the hell out of there as soon as she could. She really didn't want another confrontation, especially not one in front of Reece.

"Are you sure?" Reece asked, his head tilted as he examined her exhausted features.

"Yeah. We have some wedding stuff to work out anyway."

"Oh! That reminds me, I have the official list for my side, I'll go grab it before I forget again," Reece exclaimed, standing up and starting towards his office down the hall. As he passed Bridgette, he kissed her forehead and smiled. The minute he was out of hearing distance, Bridgette locked eyes with James.

"James, I know you don't believe it, but I'm so, so sorry about the way I acted last night," she whispered just loud enough for him to hear her. His expression remained blank, and she swallowed nervously.

"Whatever," he said finally, his voice matching his expression.

"I'm serious. I know I was a serious bitch and way out of line. I'm sorry, I don't know what happened."

Silence lapsed over them for what felt like centuries before James answered, his voice raw and tired. "What are we even doing Bridge?"

"W-what do you mean?" she stuttered, taken aback by the sudden change. If anything, she was expecting more yelling, not this.

"Why are we putting ourselves through this?" he asked, standing and closing the space between us. "Last night just proves that I shouldn't be here. We're no good for each other."

Bridgette shook her head, trying to speak despite her tightening throat. "I stand by what I said that day at lunch. We do this wedding and stay civil for Reece's sake, and then we can be strangers again."

"Fine. I'll stay for my best friend. But can you look me in the eyes and tell me that what you pulled last night something you would do to a complete stranger?" James asked, his voice stinging. Bridgette fell silent, feeling her eyes watering as the scene replayed before her in her head.

"Sorry that took so long, it got buried in papers," Reece said, finally reappearing. He stopped as his eyes fell upon them, immediately taking in the looks on their faces and the closeness between them. "What's going on?"

Bridgette and James exchanged a look, and he nodded at her. His voice came out so quietly she almost didn't hear, and his lips barely moved at all. "He deserves to know. Now especially."

"We haven't been completely honest with you, and you should have known this from the start," Bridgette said uneasily, looking at Reece for a moment before back down at her feet. Reece watched, his face a mix of confusion and dread.

"We should have told you, but we just decided it wasn't a big deal," James added helplessly, shoving his hands in his pockets. Bridgette took a deep breath, while Reece held his in.

"James and I dated," she blurted out, rambling on so quickly it was hard to keep up. "It was a long time ago and quite frankly, I hadn't even thought about it in years until I walked into the restaurant and he was there with you."

"You two dated?" he repeated, his voice pained and his face draining of color as his eyes flickered between the two of them. "How could you not tell me? Either of you?"

"It was a long time ago," James said as calmly as he could. "We figured it was useless to dig up all this old drama for nothing when we could be civil adults."

"I'm so sorry," Bridgette murmured, her lip quivering as she looked into Reece's eyes, which were consumed with hurt. "We should have told you. But we didn't want to ruin this for you. We didn't want to make a big fuss."

The silence was deafening and Bridgette thought she might go insane if no one said anything. Her conscience was full of guilt, not only from the previous night but now, from this. She had allowed herself to get so caught up in James that she had hurt the guy she loved, the man that she was marrying. He looked up at her, and she couldn't bring herself to look away. James shifted uncomfortably and cleared his throat, but the couple's eyes never left each other.

"I'm sorry Reece. I never thought you would find out like this," he whispered, placing his hand on his best friend's shoulder. "I think you two need to talk. Call me later."

"Bye, James," Reece forced out, still watching Bridgette, even as the door shut. As that sound broke there silence, Bridgette shook her head slowly and the words flooded out of her mouth and surrounded them.

"You should have known from the start. I should have said something as soon as I got to lunch. You never should have had to find out like this. I was wrong, and maybe a little selfish, but I am so, so sorry!" she rambled sincerely, her blue eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"Why couldn't you just tell me?" Reece shot back, running his fingers through his hair.

"Because he's your best friend! What was I supposed to tell you?"

"The truth!" He looked up at the ceiling as the words echoed around them. "How am I supposed to do this wedding now, knowing that my best man was with my wife? God, that's all I can picture right now!"

"We were only together for a few months, Reece," she said softly, trying her best to keep her voice steady. "And I promise you, we never were together like that."

"But you loved him." It had been intended as a question, but they both knew the answer. Bridgette twisted her engagement ring around her finger and focused her eyes on that instead for a few moments as Reece's gaze became too much. Finally, she looked up at him, her face open and honest.

"Yes," she paused to take a shaky breath. "But that was three years ago. I love you, Reece; I swear on my life that I love you. I didn't want to hurt you or jeopardize this, so I didn't tell you."

"But you were in love with him!"

"I’m over it! I love you, okay? With him, we always fought; hell, you just saw that we still do! But you are so much better for me, and I have never doubted us for a second.”

“But Bee—“

“No. This didn't bother you when it was a stranger that I loved, why does it bother you now?"

"Because you kept it a secret! And when he was a stranger I could imagine it was a terrible guy, but I know James, and let's face it, deep down, he's a great guy. I could never compete with him, how am I supposed to now?"

"There is no competition, Reece. James is a part of my past, and it's not fair for you to hold that against us."

Reece looked at the carpeting and scuffed his foot against it. Bridgette held her breath, praying for an end to the fight. She hated fighting with him, and it honestly didn't happen all that often. She felt sick to her stomach and anxious as hell as she studied him wordlessly.

"You're right," he finally mumbled, his eyes flicking up to hers momentarily. "But honestly, maybe he shouldn't be in the wedding."

"No," Bridgette said firmly before he even finished the last word. "He’s your best friend, and I get that. There’s nothing between me and him anymore, and there’s no reason for him not to be your best man."

"Are you sure?" Reece asked, walking over and placing his hands on her shoulders softly.

"A hundred and ten percent," Bridgette assured him, heartbeat finally slowing just the slightest.

"Okay. I'm sorry for yelling," Reece whispered, kissing her forehead and pulling her close to him.

"I'm sorry for not telling you sooner," she replied, inhaling his scent and listening to the steady beating of his heart through his shirt.

"I love you, Bee," he mumbled against her curls, and she squeezed her eyes shut.

"I love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw snap. So the truth comes out!

What do you guys think about all of this now that Reece knows?

xxxo, Sara