Strangers

Chapter One

"One more," I uttered under my breath. "I’ve got to keep moving. Just a couple--more—steps--." Keeping my feet in time with my breathing, I ran toward the closest oak tree and skid to a stop. I caught my breath and looked around cautiously at the unfamiliar terrain. The damp forest seemed calm and yet incredibly dangerous. They always are.

"GOT YA!" The loud sound came with a pounding from above me. His body hit mine almost immediately. My mind was consumed in darkness as soon as I hit the ground.

The voices faded in and out as I was started to come to. I kept my eyes shut when I heard unfamiliar voices say, "It was too dangerous. She's not strong enough."

"Maybe it skipped her...”

"Enough! All of you, you’re wrong," said a man in a hushed tone. He apparently had more power than his voice let on because they all quickly stopped arguing. "She's strong enough. Her development just isn't where we thought she'd be. Give her time."

"Time? ______________, we've given her nothing but time!" said a woman excitedly. She was standing the closest to me and her voice gave off a sense of authority that wouldn't want to be messed with. "She's already two years behind the others her age. If we don't do something now, he'll--"

"I said that’s enough. I will not repeat myself. She will train when she is ready. That's the last of this discussion," said the hushed man much more seriously.

*
"Sweetie, wake up. You're going to be late." I groaned as I rolled over. "Get up, young lady. You are not skipping school again." I sat up with a start and stared at the woman before me. She had long brown hair that curled at the ends and bright hazel eyes with specks of green that only showed when the sun hit them. Her face was fair and smooth to go with her beautiful figure. The pale pink skirt she wore hugged her as perfectly as the white blouse that fell down her chest. Same old, perfect mom.

I reached over and held her tightly. I must have scared her because she jumped slightly before hugging me back. "Bad dream?" she asked while smoothing my hair behind my ears.
"Worst one yet. They just keep getting realer and realer. It's like this stuff is actually happening to me."

"Well, it's not real so don't-"

"I know, I know," cutting her off. She just doesn't understand. No one does. I guess she took the hint because she got up, kissed me on my forehead then left.
♠ ♠ ♠
still working on a name for that guy. suggestions?