Brother's Best Friend

Eleven

I felt someone jabbing me with something. “Sam. Sam. Saaaaam. Samantha. Samuel L. Jackson. Sammy, wake up.” I groaned and rolled over. I thumped against something hard, or rather someone. A pair of arms wrapped around me and hugged me, a little too tightly for me after I just woken up.

“Jay, do you ever shut up?.. I can’t breathe.” He laughed as he sat me up, on his lap. I was so confused as to why I was in bed with Jay right now, and why I was sitting in his lap. Oh my God… If we.. We couldn’t have.. No. Please, oh my, no.

“You okay?” He asked as he brushed a stray strand out of my face, behind my ear, and kissed my cheek. He rested his head in the crook of my neck, this is all too romantic and sensual for my liking.

“Erm, Jay.. What, what happened last night?”

His melodic laughter filled my ears, he was tugging at the shirt that covered my body- which I noticed to not to be the dress that I had worn yesterday. “We got drunk and went to sleep.”

“That’s it?” I asked, looking at our entangled bodies. He rubbed my arms, before wrapping an arm behind me. He picked me up, I instinctively wrapped my legs around his waist, and he carried me into the kitchen, sat me on the counter before he proceeded to shift through his fridge. “We didn’t have sex or anything, right?”

He shot me a wink before running up to me and kissing me on my lips.

*LATER THAT DAY, I HOPE YOU’RE READING THIS IN AN ANNOUNCER’S VOICE OKAY*

Throwing my keys and phone on my desk, I plopped down on my bed. My room felt different now. I felt different. Jay was downstairs watching football with Max, Siva, and Nathan; and I was up here. Alone. My feelings are all mixed up from this morning. Did I love Nathan or did I have feelings for Jay? I just wish I had my mum here to talk me through it.
A single tear fell free from my left eye, as I went to wipe it away there was a soft knock at the door.

“Come in.” Max’s shaven head came into view as he doddled in. The look on his face went from a giant smile to a worried frown.

“What’s wrong?” He sat next to me, cuddling me into him. Grabbing hold of his shirt, I left myself break down on his chest. I didn’t care if I was staining his top with my make-up runs. Cooing me, “Shh. Aye, babe, its okay.” He was patting my head and rubbing my back. Just as my daddy used to do, causing the tears to fall faster. “Tell Max what’s wrong.”

Sniffling, “I don’t know. I was just thinking about my mum and dad and I don’t know.” I, shakily, wiped the tears from my eyes before Max’s strong hands pulled mine away from my face.

“Samantha, its okay. I know you miss them and it still hurts, but you don’t have to sit up here alone and cry. We all love you. Come to us next time.” I pulled him into a tight hug, causing us both to laugh at how easy it was for him to make me feel better. “I’ll be right back with a cuppa and we’ll talk som more, yeah?” He kissed the top of my head before walking out of the room.

My phone started buzzing in my desk, groaning, I got up and answered it. “Oi.”

“I miss you, babe!” Tom practically screamed into the phone.

“I miss you, too, Tom-tom.” I laughed.

“What’sappenin? Kelsey says she misses you too and she can’t wait to see ya.”

“Tell her likewise for me, please! Erm, nothing major really. Just had a minor breakdown and Max fixed me. Ha. Your little spies haven’t given me much room to do any harm here.”

“Breakdown? What happened? Are you okay?” His voice got faster, I could tell he was very worried. “Do you want me to come home? What happened?”

“Tom, relax. I’m fine.”

“If you’re fine, why’d you have a breakdown?”

“It was a minor one!”

“Counts.”

“Its nothing, really. I gotta go. I’ll call you tonight and we can talk about it then. Okay? I love you.”

“Love you too.” He hung up, angrily I think.

Max smiled at me as he handed me a cup of tea. “So, who was that?”

*

Pressing play on my computer, I walked in front of the assortment of mirrors I had set out. Stretching my arms out behind my head, I let the music overtake me. Moving freely in-time with the sweet tune of Rihanna’s ‘Fading.’ I smiled to myself as the song faded out, remembering what happened the last time I had done a full routine in the attic. My smile turned into guilt as I looked at the pile of sheets on the other side of the room, where Nathan and I had made love. I felt Nath in my skin, but I felt Jay on my lips.