Sequel: Un-Accidental Penpal

Accidental Penpal

Kendal

What does hope sound like?
What does it feel like?
Kendal couldn't remember the last time she felt peace and hope.

Kendal's striped legs dangled over the edge of the cement railing. One of her blue shoes slipped off her foot and splashed down in the current below. She kept contemplating her actions, but she strangely felt glad. Glad that she was finally going to be at ease from this life, from this world. Was this finally the peace she needed? Just as she was about to let go of fear and slip off the edge an unfamiliar voice filled the air. She shook her head hearing the wind pick up against the trees. But then she heard a noise and the voice again.

Kendal slowly turned her head and tired eyes to the left of her and peered over her shoulder. A young man was picking himself up off the ground. He had fallen and scraped his knee on the cement coated ground, but he seemed unfazed by it. He was out of breath and panting greatly as he looked into Kendal's eyes with a look of worry and panic. Who was he?

“Kendal!”

How did he know her name?

“Kendal, please,” his voice was wiry and he tried to keep a straight face, “please get down from there.”

Kendal flinched slightly as he stood and grew closer to her. Who was this man? He held up his scraped up palms trying to tell her that he wouldn't hurt her and grew closer to her ledge. He walked with a limp, not because of the scratch on his knee, but as if he was hurt. He was only inches away from her when she realized that he was dressed in green. A green camouflage uniform.

She shifted her eyes up and down trying to get a good look of the person in front of her.

“Y...York?” her voice was quiet and wavered out of her mouth.

He gave a weak smile and nodded tried to keep a straight face as he finally approached her side. He had his hands held out and kept eye contact with her.

“Kendal...”

She didn't wait another second. She wrapped her arms around his neck and slipped her body away from the edge of the bridge. She felt so tiny compared to him, but she didn't let go. She wanted to say so much, but all that came out of her mouth were sobs. His scraped up hands moved to her head and side as he carried her away from the bridge railing. Tears fell down her face onto the collar of his shirt. She knew that her makeup was dripping down her face, but that didn't matter. It wasn't the bitter river water under the bridge.

It was hope...

---

“You feeling better?” His voice was soft, and his arm didn't leave Kendal's side.

His hand lightly rubbed back and forth on her forearm as they looked out to the office buildings across the water. She wasn't crying any more but the hand kept her rapid breathing down.

“Yes...”

She was resting her head at his side. He was warm and real. Part of her wanted to think that he was going to be some fat old guy who was writing the letters for his sick amusement. Though to see him here, in the flesh, all the fears she once had this morning seemed to melt away. Everything melted away.

He told her everything on what happened and she just listened. She now needed to read that letter. Kendal frowned feeling horrible about not staying five more minutes to get the mail. The late letter would have been there and she wouldn't have gone this far. A few stray tears fell down her face as she wiped them with the back of her sleeve. She didn't even know how to live life properly. Why was she just a mess?

“Kendal...”

“You know...” she said with a smile, “your eyes are green... I've been calling you “blue eyes” this entire time. Why didn't you correct me?”

He gave a little smile, “I thought that it was funny. Plus I really didn't care what my accidental pen pal would call me.”

Kendal gave a laugh and looked up to the gray sky. Some thunder echoed throughout the thick clouds.

“Kendal, I...”

“We should probably go,” Kendal said looking back over to York's green eyes, “It's going to rain soon.”

“Kendal!”

She stopped and looked at his serious look. His hand moved from her arm and he cupped his hands together as if trying to find the right words to say. He then finally looked over to her.

“You said in one of your letters that this has been going on since high school. From what Molly and Bret said before...it doesn't sound like you... I really...” he gave a sigh as his thumb rubbed his temple, “Kendal, you... you should really go to the hospital and get help...”

Kendal sat up a little bit and tried to understand what he was saying.

“Molly and Bret really care for you, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I... don't want to see you hurt again, Kendal.”

He glanced over to her trying to tell her how much he did care and wanted her to be well. Kendal's look softened and she looked away from him. She looked back out to where she was sitting only minutes before and thought back to the time she tried to commit suicide before. All she wanted was someone to just tell her that she was loved and cared for. Her family didn't understand and didn't try to get therapy or medication that she really did need. She didn't really know what she needed, but she knew that York was right. She needed to get the help. She just never had the courage or hope to take a step and try it.

Kendal nodded looking back to York with a painful smile.

“Alright...” she said finally giving up her pride, “...only if you take me...”

She looked away admitting that she was scared. She was scared of the change. Scared on what may happen to her or if it wouldn't work. York than stood up and scooped his hands underneath her to take her himself.

“I promise, Kendal, I won't leave you alone,” he smiled as he walked away from the bridge, “your stuck with me wether you like it or not.”

“Curse Molly for making me mail that letter.”

“Heh... maybe it was fate?”

Kendal only smiled. She rested her head on his chest as they walked farther and farther away from the bridge till it was gone forever. She wondered what would have happened if she never did send out that letter. She wouldn't have been there right then. She probably would have been in a casket in the cold ground. But she was here now. Here and alive. Alive with a growing seed of hope.

Kendal looked up to the man in uniform. From February he was a kid with no hope of his own, but she could tell that he grew up from all of his experiences he's faced. She wanted to know these experiences and how he grew his hope to the man that was carrying her home. She smiled and felt her cheeks grow warm.

“What are you smiling about?”

“Nothing-” she looked down to her shoe-less foot, “I just need to get some new shoes.”

He shook his head with a smile and they continued on just as it started to rain. Molly and Bret were waiting by the front door and rushed over in tears at their found friend. York didn't leave her alone then, when Molly drove them to the hospital, or during the over night stay at the hospital. Kendal laid in bed that night finally at peace. She felt a stray tear fall down her face as she turned to look at a sleeping York one last time before sleep took over.

“Thank you...York. Thank you... for listening and being my accidental pen pal.”

She crawled over to him and kissed his forehead. He stirred in his sleep and she smiled crawling back under her covers and drifted off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw! Well, we're nearing an end. Only two more chapters left!

I recommend listening to http://youtu.be/8tu4yfZlb0c as Kendal and York go home. It is the perfect mood to end the chapter with!

Thank you all who've been loving our story and hope you enjoy these final few chapters!

I have a surprise for all of you when I finally finish the little project! I am in an interactive media program in college where I play with animation, flash, and plenty of other programs, and my little surprise will involve a slight mix of these. So watch for the link in the final two chapters!

thank you all again!