Status: Ongoing, but at a slow pace (",)

Only Liars, But We're The Best

Life Lessons

The guys had a run-in with some vampires when Patrick and I were away in Nevada. Pete said it wasn't much of a fight as they finished the vamps off in under a minute.

"It was a group of younglings, trying to act all big and mighty. Think they were recently sired," Pete told me and Patrick.

"Once they realized that we're the notorious hunters, they fled like the cowards they are," Joe added, laughing.

"I don't think this is funny," I replied solemnly. "They are vampires. They're stronger and faster than us humans. What if one of you get hurt? Or worse, killed?" I was on the verge of panic.

It had been almost a week after finding out the truth that vampires exist. I still couldn't get used to the fact the guys are hunting the undead at night.

"Maiya dear," Pete came over and hugged me. "Like what I've said, all of us take this job seriously. We've done this for two years already. And don't worry, I'll protect the guys. I'm a vampire afterall. Nothing can hurt me." There was a hint of bitterness in his voice.

I squeezed him tightly and sighed. I let go and looked up at him. "Let me be a part of your team," I croaked.

His features hardened. "That, I cannot do," he replied curtly.

"It's too dangerous. And you're not trained to defend yourself," Patrick piped in.

I looked at the four guys incredulously. Even Joe and Andy were nodding their heads to what Patrick had said.

"Then someone has to train me," I crossed my arms and walked to the middle of the room to face all four of them.

"You are not to be trained in whatever circumstances," Pete answered harshly.

I could feel heat rising to my cheeks. Leave it to Pete to make me angry by being overly protective. "And why not, Peter Lewis?" I glared at him.

"I just want you to be safe, alright? That's why you are not allowed to leave the house at night, at all times," Pete replied, features devoid of any expression.

"What if the vampires come here? And if you haven't noticed, I have been at home during night time. Oh wait, we didn't really see face to face for the past month so I'd guess you don't know what's actually happening in my life," I said sarcastically.

I could feel the others getting tense from my argument with Pete. Pete, on the other hand, remained like a statue. Except that his pupils now had changed to their glowing red.

Shit. Now I've really pushed it too far.

"Maiya, let's go take a breather okay?" Joe suddenly grabbed and dragged me to the front door.

I turned around to take a look behind and saw Patrick and Andy were huddled close together with Pete.

I'd bet they're trying to calm him down.

I let Joe drive my cooper while I sat shotgun. I need to think. And I can't do that if I'm driving.

"So, umm, anywhere you wanna go?" Joe asked me.

"Joe, it's ten at night. All the shops are closed. And shouldn't we be staying indoors? That's what Pete says," I rolled my eyes.

Joe sighed and he drove around aimlessly.

"Maiya, you shouldn't have done that," Joe broke the awkward silence.

"Do what? Piss off Pete?" I replied harshly. I was still fuming over the argument that had happened.

"Pete cares about you. Each one of us does," Joe continued, voice calm. "Nobody wants you to get hurt. You have no idea what happens out there. When things get ugly, they're really, well, ugly."

I kept quiet and continued staring out of the window.

"Did you know Patrick was hurt really badly when we had our very first fight? And I had a broken wrist which lasted for probably three months or so."

That caught my attention. "What happened?"

"We had no idea how to fight at all. All of us can do a good punch or two, but that's about it. Maybe except for Andy since he took up taekwondo for a couple of years when he was younger," Joe started.

"We are musicians, not fighters. And when thrust in this kind of situation, all of us are at a lost. Gradually, we began to pick up martial arts and handle weaponry. We trained so hard after our defeat in our first fight that now we got vampires cowering before us. Well, except the Dandies, of course. Those sons of bitches are bloody tough to take down." I could see Joe was fuming.

"Are there different types of vamps out there?" I asked curiously.

"They belong to clans in which you can differentiate each vampire distinctly by the way they are dressed. So far, me and the guys have encountered three clans. The Dandies, the Punks and the vampires from the 'Hood," Joe clarified.

"Vampires from the what?"

"Vampires from the 'Hood. It's short for neighborhood," Joe laughed. "They are the least of the troublemakers. Most of them are dressed in baggy clothes with heavy jewelery dangling around their necks. Something like those ghetto superstars."

"And I'll take it that the Punks have weird hair and bad make up? Not mentioning tattered clothes with black leather jackets?" I grinned to myself.

"You're catching on, girl."

I relaxed in my seat. "Umm, you didn't tell me how hurt Patrick got."

"Let's just say that he got a few broken bones here and there, okay? We're going home now," Joe told me.

The ride home was quiet.

---


Believe it or not, life went back to normal for me. As in, I still went to work at the coffee place and the guys regularly did gigs at night, besides the occasional hunt once in a while. Apparently, the vampires were not making much of an appearance nowadays. Which was weird, as the guys put it.

Me and Pete had a mutual agreement, in the sense that I won't bug him into letting me be a part of the hunting team. He in return, let me be in charge of doing research. I didn't major in history for nothing. And also, I don't see myself as a fighter anyway.

Before I came along, Patrick was the one who did the studies and all other forms of "paperwork". Besides that, he was also doing repairs for the weaponry. He's also known as 'The Gadget Guy'. Pete came up with that nickname among a whole lot of other names, one of them being 'The Evil Genius'. When I asked why he came up with that, Pete gave me a loud guffaw and said I wouldn't want to know.

Another new thing I've learnt was that the guys called the warehouse a hideout. The vampires never knew where the hunters live. I'll make the hideout more protected once I'm able to find the correct spell to ward off "uninvited guests". Patrick told me the vamps wouldn't be able to cross over the threshold without an invitation, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Three months had passed when I'd gotten hold of gramps' Wicca relics. The more I read them, the more I fell in love with them. Why did I stop practicing? I can't even answer my own question.

"Patrick, I want to show you something," I said out-of-the-blue one cloudy afternoon. It was one of those rare times when he's awake during the day.

Me and him were in his bedroom, reading some of the relics. I spent most of my free time with Patrick nowadays, since we were trying to find out more about vampires. So far, there wasn't any information, aside from the basics which we already knew.

Patrick looked up from whatever he was reading. "What is it?" His face was a mixture of curiosity and annoyance.

Ooops, he must have been reading something really interesting.

"Sorry to disturb, Trick, but we have to go outside for this to work," I explained.

"Alright then. This better be good," he closed the book he was reading and stood up. "I found new information about the vampires in your gramps' journal."

"Oh wow! That's great! But we put that aside for a while and do this, okay? I promise it won't be a waste of time. I'll say it will even blow your mind away," I smirked.

Patrick was about to protest when I silenced him by putting my forefinger to his lips.

What are you doing, Maiya?!

Standing at such close proximity, I could see Patrick's clear, baby blues widened.

Is that a blush creeping to his face? Oh my God!

I could feel heat rushing to my face as well, so I immediately dropped my hand and drag Patrick outside.

"Umm, so where are we going?" Patrick asked awkwardly.

That tiny gesture sure left us both feeling uncomfortable. It was a spur of the moment thing and apparently, I hadn't thought through it enough.

Just get on with the damn show already.

I had brought Patrick to the back of the warehouse where dead leaves had accumulated for the past few months. Nobody had bothered to clear them. Well, good thing though. Need them for what I'm about to do now.

"Stand still, keep your eyes peeled and be awed," I gave Patrick the biggest toothy smile I could muster.

I closed my eyes and chanted the incantation which gramps' had forcefully asked me to remember. It's practically etched in my memory that I don't think I could ever forget.

I could feel the breeze picking up speed around me. I opened my eyes and saw Patrick giving me an astonished look. His mouth was agape and I swear if he was a cartoon character, his bottom jaw would have hit the ground.

I looked around and sure enough, the dried leaves were all floating around Patrick and I. It's circling us like a mini tornado.

I put both my arms high into the air and the gale of leaves died down. Soon, it was all over and I glanced back at Patrick.

"So, was this worth taking time off from the ridiculously interesting journal that you were submerged in just now?" I snickered at him.

"Gosh... What... I can't even..." Patrick rambled incoherently.

I chuckled at his antics. Patrick's really adorable when he's flabbergasted.

"Tricky, calm down," I held his shoulders to keep him from flailing about. "I can teach you to do that. If you're interested, that is," I added hastily.

He stopped in his tracks and looked at me as if I had antlers sprouting out from my head.

"Are you kidding? I would definitely be interested!" Patrick yelled at me.

"Whoa! Hold your horses, cowboy! You don't have to scream in my ear," I squirmed.

Patrick burst out laughing and I followed suit.

"I'm s-sorry," he said in between giggles. "I got too excited and that usually happens. I mean, the yelling..."

The giggling fit lasted for a whole minute or so, when it finally subsided.

"Ahem, sorry about that again," Patrick apologized.

"Nah, you certainly made my day Tricky. I forgot that I could laugh. With all the things that's been happening..." I trailed off.

Next thing I knew, Patrick was standing extremely close to me that our noses were practically touching.

Wha-what's happening?

I stood frozen on the spot. I can't even breathe with Patrick's face so fucking close to mine!

Is he going to kiss me?!

"There you are! I was wondering where the hell you've both been!" Joe's voice interrupted my thoughts.

At the sound of Joe's yelling, Patrick immediately took a huge step backwards. He threw Joe a dirty look, which I could only assume was his, 'thanks-for-ruining-the-moment' expression.

"We're going back in already. Maiya and I had to check out some spells. That's why we're here," Patrick replied hurriedly.

With that, he turned around and walked back towards the hideout without glancing back at me. I broke out from my trance and trailed after him.

Joe looked at us suspiciously. But I couldn't give him any answer yet as I myself do not know what the hell's happening.

Did Patrick have feelings for plain, ol' Mai?
♠ ♠ ♠
Before I start to ramble, let me apologize if this story is staring to be boring you readers. You might be wondering where's the action?? The action part won't happen anytime soon, sorry to say. But there'll be lots of upcoming surprises here and there!

A million thanks to those who commented, especially i_am_dead_on_arrival, shortygirl and MusicMadness!

Dum, dum, duuuummm... So does Patrick have feelings (of the NOT brotherly kind) for Maiya? But how about Pete? Pete treats Mai just like a sister, right? Or, not? Hmm...