Status: Ongoing, but at a slow pace (",)

Only Liars, But We're The Best

Promises

"Can I go to your gig tonight?" I pleaded with Patrick as he was about to pack his guitar.

He gave me a look of sympathy. "I don't mind you tagging, but I'd guess you have to ask your brother first," he replied.

I frowned. Pete would never, ever let me go even if I were to get down on my knees and beg him. Nonetheless, I trudged my way to the kitchen to see Pete mixing his concoction.

"Umm, sorry to disturb, but can I go and watch you guys play tonight? I mean, it's been six months I've stayed with you all and I haven't had the chance to even catch any of your shows. Besides, the streets are relatively quiet nowadays," I reasoned.

Pete looked at me without saying anything and started the blender. I stood there waiting patiently until he finished.

"Mai, I'll talk to you later," Pete detached the jug from the blender base. "Hurry now."

I made my way to the living room. Patrick saw my scowling expression and came over.

"And I'd guess it's a no."

"It's worse. He didn't even give me an answer. Like, what the-"

"You can come with us, Mai," Pete interrupted. "Gosh, I just ask you to go out for a while and you say bad things behind my back?" He rolled his eyes and feigned a hurt look.

Barely containing my excitement, I pounced on Pete. "Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!" I engulfed him in a bear hug.

Both of the guys laughed heartily.

---


I've never seen the guys happier. They were at their best when it came to performing. They're born for this.

Joe was either twirling with his guitar or head-banging, which never cease to amaze me that he never gotten a headache out of that.

Andy was hitting on the drums, his hands flying all around. He's another person whom I couldn't understand. How could he see what he's doing with all that hair in his face?

Pete, as usual, kept bouncing around the tiny podium (which the bar passes off as a stage) and occasionally leaned against Patrick, sometimes on the shoulders, other time on Trick's back. Pete's forever hyper if he's playing with the band.

And Patrick. Sweet, cute Patrick. The sweatiest of the lot and yet he still managed to tug at my heartstrings. I haven't forgotten about our 'near-kiss'.

Which made me wonder if Patrick has the same feelings for dear ol' me? We got along better now, with him doing pretty well in his spells. He sure is a fast learner.

The guys ended the night without any mishaps. As I was about to climb into the van, Pete stopped me.

"Hey, follow me to the convenience store. I just remembered I ran out of rosemary for my drink."

I looked at him, befuddled. Because firstly, it's past two in the morning. Secondly, Pete never went out with me eversince he got turned. And now he wants me to accompany him at half past two in the morning to the convenience store?

This is really weird.

The other guys looked at the both of us. Pete spoke up.

"Don't worry, it's a short trip. Furthermore, she's with me. I need some quiet time with my little sister, 'kay?"

"Well, since the streets are safe and no vamp activity recently, so yeah. We'll see you back at the hideout then," Patrick shrugged and climbed into the van.

We made our way silently to the nearest convenience store when I remembered what Pete wanted to get.

"Uh, Pete? I don't think 7-11 sell herbs," I pointed out.

"Umm, I actually just wanna have a chat with you," Pete admitted.

"You could have done it at the hideout, Pete. It's ironic that you're keeping me from going out at night, and yet here we are, taking a stroll at nearly three in the morning," I replied.

"Honestly speaking, what I'm about to say will only for your ears, and only yours."

I stopped in my tracks and stared at him. Don't tell me...

"Are you and Patrick together?"

And yes, he said it.

I shuffled my feet and looked at my sneakers. The sidewalk suddenly seems very interesting to me.

"Mai? C'mon, you can tell me the truth," Pete gently lifted my chin so that I was looking at him in the eyes.

Seeing that warm, hazel eyes made me feel all mushy inside. I can't possibly tell him that I have a crush on Trick! They're best buddies! It's against the "bro code".

"Mai? You alright?" Pete asked tentatively.

I snapped from my daydream. "Uh, well, I..."

"So you and Trick are together," Pete assumed. He was grinning.

"Technically speaking, I'm not with him," I explained.

"But you do have feelings for Trick, right?"

"I... Umm... Well..." I stammered.

This is so fucking awkward.

Pete was laughing now. Then he did something which I could never, ever fathom. He screamed. Loudly. Into the silent night.

"WHOOO-HOOO YEAH!!!"

I covered my ears and yelled at him. "What the fuck was that for?!"

"I just need to let off some steam, babe," Pete winked at me.

I rolled my eyes. "So where are we going now?"

"To the convenience store, duh!"

I crossed my arms and stared at him. "Spit it out, Wentz. We can't simply walk the whole night aimlessly. I know you too well that you're hiding something from me."

Pete sighed loudly. All traces of his happy mood was gone.

"I need your help, Mai. I know you're a witch, and a pretty good one as well," Pete said.

I unfolded my arms and tugged at his hand. I could see this was going to be a while and we might need to take a seat. So I dragged him to the nearest park bench.

I looked at him and urged him to continue.

Pete's voice was soft now. "Mai, Patrick's concoction isn't working anymore," he confessed. "The drink used to last me for up to three days, max. Now, I can't even go three hours without it. I won't go back to drinking pig's blood. Fuck, I don't want to drink blood! I-I can't tell him, nor the dudes. I'm fucking terrified. I don't want to lose myself to the beast."

"I know witches have a way with the supernatural. Demons, vampires, the such. They have a spell for eveything." He sounded desperate. "I want something, anything to keep my bloodlust locked down."

I looked into his warm, hazel eyes which I had grown to love.

"Pete," I sighed. "You know I'm a little rusty. And not everything can be solved with just a simple spell."

His face fell. "But that doesn't mean I won't look around," I quickly added. "I'll do anything and everything for you. You're my brother."

Pete's face lit up. "This will be our little secret, 'kay? Pinky promise?" He put out his right fist with his pinky jutting out.

I smiled and interlinked my left pinky. I'll do everything for you, Pete. Even if it takes my own life.

---


Somewhere in the dark, dank alley, a man stood silently, hidden from the prying eyes of human and vampire alike. With the crisp, dark brown suit he was wearing, the alley would be the last place he would be seen in. It was a hurried attempt to conceal his scent and not having Pete to know he's here.

Yes. He's back. And he had found what he was looking for.

He smiled, fangs gleaming in the dim moonlight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yesss... He's back! Wait, who is this person I'm talking about?? That'll be for you readers to guess. Heh.

Pete's having a major problem with his bloodlust. So will Mai have an answer for him? Hint: read back the previous chapter. Patrick said he found something in gramps' journal, before Mai dragged him to the back of the hideout.

Will that be the answer for Pete's problem?

Comments, as usual. I'm really liking the comments I've received for this story so far. Thank you readers!