Today

oo1

Andrew Oliver closed the front door behind him as he took in a deep breath of the surprisingly chilled air of the morning. He plugged in his earphones, letting music fill his ears as he made his way down the block.

Today’s the day. He grinned as this thought came to mind. Andrew has been waiting for years for this to happen, to know when the right time was and finally the day came. He woke up this morning and he felt it, the time has come.

A moss colored van honked and snapped him out of his thoughts. He glanced over and saw his brother’s head hanging out of the passenger seat, “Hey, Andy! You need a ride?”

The one on the wheel, Jeff, leaned over, shouting, “Yeah, c’mon, man!”

“Nah, it’s ok,” he waved them off and jutted his thumb to the house a few paces away, “I got to go pick up, Lynette.”

A smirk appeared on both of their mouths. “We see. We’ll see you in school!” said Devin.

He walked up the porch steps and casually went inside. Lynette’s father glanced at him from the living room where he was watching morning news, “Oh, good morning, Andy.”

“Good morning, Levi.” He grinned at the man who was like a second father to him, “Today’s the day.” He said to him.

“Really?” he said, enthusiasm dripping from his voice. He stood up and called to his wife, “Rhodora, today’s the day!”

Lynette’s mother came running from the kitchen, “Diyos ko, really?” Andy laughed at the use of a Filipino expression. He knew that she only used them when she was feeling strong emotions which only made him feel even better, knowing that this was as important to them as it was to him.

He nodded, “I woke up today and I just knew it.”

“Well, fi-na-lly!” Lynette’s mom said and all three of them laughed, “It took you long enough.”

Her father ushered Andy to the stairs, “Well, you better wake her up now, son.”

Andy took the stairs, two steps at a time and walked carefully down the hall as he noticed that her room door was slightly ajar. Despite this, he still knocked on the door, “Lynette? You awake yet?”

There was no answer except for a soft snoring. “Well, I guess not,” he pushed the door open to reveal a girl with black curls hunched over her desk that was scattered with a bunch of paper and notebooks. Andy walked over and kneeled in front of her. He couldn’t help but chuckle, she still had her glasses on.

He leaned in closer, inserted the strand of hair that rested on top of her nose behind her ear and whispered very gently, “Lynette, wake up.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter of this short story will be in Lynette's point of view.
It'll probably be posted around this weekend, so, if anyone's interested, feel free to check it out. :)

Comments & Subscriptions are definitely welcomed.