Tiptoe Through the Tulips

Twenty Eight.

I ran after him, hair dripping a pattern down the back of a fresh shirt, the white now off colour from the build-up grime that simple soap could not remove.

The sunlight contrasted so strongly to the dim light of inside that it took my eyes a few seconds to readjust and before I knew it I was next to Tyreese and T-dog at the main entrance, the Governor staring at me.
“So this is where you ran off to,” he said lightly, “If you are not with us, you are against us,” he said, turning to Rick, “And that is not a good place to be.”

“We took this prison,” Rick started, “We made it safe, we shed blood!”

“I don’t think shedding blood matters that much anymore, my men and I will be taking this prison, you can either come with us now or we will kill you.”

“We have women and children with us,” Rick growled but the man simply shrugged, “We mean no harm to your community, we just want somewhere safe!” this time the Governor turned to me.

“Your friends here made a fool of me, they ran, could of caused a lot of problems for me!”

“What you’re doing is sick!” I spat, interrupting him, “You’re not a leader you’re a madman. Those people aren’t safe with you, you’re killing them for sport!” He stepped forward and I noticed all the men squared their shoulders, took a step to the side to shield me.

“Fine. Have it your way Miss. We’ll be back to claim this land. This concentrate haven as you see it. If you’re not gone we will slaughter you all!” he turned, “One last thing darlin’,” he met my eyes, “You think I’m stupid enough not to know how you got out.” he lifted his hand and two of the men went to the first car, opening the boot and dragging a mass towards us.

It was a person, a sack over his head, his legs kicking and struggling against the dry dirt as they chucked him to the ground, The Governor smiled, pulling the gun from his waistband and pulling off the sack, revealing the man who had helped us escape.

The man I remember saying about his wife.

“You think you can betray me? Anyone of you!” he roared, spinning around so he glared at everyone, his own men cowering under his gaze. “If you are not with us you are against us. Let this be a warning.”

The man was gagged and I regretted never asking his name, he had no-doubt saved our lives.

His eyes met mine, wide and terrified, mine flooding with tears, the shot was quick, sending a physical pain through me, my stomach cramping as I felt the bile ride and saliva flood my mouth.

The body landed heavily, dust floating up around it as blood began to soak into the ground, some swirling out and mixed with small chunks of skin and brain.

I had to put my hand over my mouth, silly that a sight I was beginning to grow used too, the gore I had seen was far worse than this. Maybe it was because he had helped me, I barely knew the man but he had risked his life. Lost his life for us.

I finally lifted my head to see the cars driving away, Rick breathing heavily, turning and holding my arm, “We need to talk about everything you saw now. And you...” he barked at Tyreese, “Get Andrea and Michonne!” Tyreese nodded and I followed Rick.

“We need to bury the body.” I said quietly and Rick nodded, muttering something to T-dog as we continued to walk, eventually stopping at one of the cells, an awkward looking Lori leaving, hands clasped over her stomach, the tiniest hint of a bump visible.

---

We spoke to Rick for the next couple of hours, every detail given that we could scrape from our memories. “Well they definitely outnumber us.” he said softly to himself, running a hand through his growing hair, his face pale.

“Maybe it is better if we move on...” Andrea urged gently, recoiling as Rick stood suddenly, his fist hitting the stone wall.

“We found here, we made it safe and we are safe in here. I am not giving this up.” he left the cell quickly, leaving the four of us sitting there breathless, worried.

“We brought this here,” Michonne said, “We brought this danger.” she frowned, leaving the room, Tyreese shortly behind her. I noticed Carol waiting by the entrance nervously.

“Who’s she waiting for?” I asked, my bitterness towards the woman still evident, Andrea smiled at me, “She’s been talking to Tyreese a lot.” I snorted, fighting back a giggle.

“He could do better.”

“You mean you?” Andrea asked and I rolled my eyes. “Me?!” she half shouted, finally catching onto my words, “It’s the end of the world sweetie, don’t try and play matchmaker.” I smiled lowly at her and we left the room a couple of minutes later, Andrea making her way to the make-shift bathroom.

“Daryl is in his room..” she waved her hands a bit, “Cell thingy. Go and talk to him now Ariella.”

I nodded, offering her a mock salute but doing as she said, my feet dragging along the floor, suddenly weighing an incredible amount. I paused outside the door, hidden by the thin blanket and listening to the conversation between Daryl and Glenn within.

“I saw the marks, there ent no denyin’ it.”

“Then you need to be there for her Daryl. Rick told you what they went through, she thinks we left her.”

“Dont you dare fucking blame this on me, I wanted to go back!”

“We thought she was gone Daryl, we all did. I wish.. I fucking wish we had gone back but we didn’t know and we couldn’t have. But she’s here now, talk to her!”

“I don’t take orders from no Korean.” Daryl spat, putting emphasis on the word Korean, I felt a bittersweet smile spread my lips as I realised he was finally taking heed of all Glenn’s complaints.
I stood back as Glenn left the room, baseball cap in hand, he bit his lip when he saw me, pulling me straight into a strong embrace.

“You’ll do better than I did.” he paused and went to speak again, no doubt about what Daryl had seen, the implications.
I put my hand to his lips, “I don’t want to talk about that.” our voices were low, un-eager for Daryl to hear me before I entered. He nodded, grimacing slightly and loosening his hold, “I’m sorry.” he whispered, letting go of me and stepping back, tears swarming his dark eyes. I rolled my own, hoping he didn’t have time to notice the tears that coated them.

He walked slowly and lightly passed me and I waited until he was further down the corridor, Daryl’s room was the last, with an empty one next to it. It struck me that he was no doubt making himself the outsider again, excommunicating himself from the group.

It took me a few minutes to pluck up the courage to move, my hands balled in tight fists, the pressure beginning to hurt my fingers. One last breath and I moved, entering the room and seeing he was on the bed, back to me, his shoulders silently jerking as he cried. His sobs silent.
The tears fought for release instantly and began to drip from my cheeks to my collar bone as I crept over to him, he made no movement although I know he knew I was there. I climbed onto the bed slowly, copying his position, my body spooning his own, my arm wrapping around his waist and being encased in his hard hand. My face pressed into his shoulder as I cried with him.

I cried for Daryl’s pain, for my own. For the danger the only people I had left were in, for the people that had died long ago, the people that had died just days before, minutes before.

I cried for the loss of humanity.

____

At some point I must have fallen asleep, I woke with my head on Daryl’s chest, his heartbeat thudding in a rhythm that relaxed me. His hand was rested across my ribs, moving up and down slightly. “You awake?” he said in a low voice and I squeaked back a yes, my throat once again raw from crying.

I pulled myself up and he shuffled so he sat behind me, legs either side, “I’m getting kind of sick of crying.” I said honestly, clearing my throat. I felt his kiss my shoulder blade and bit my lip. “Daryl?” he grunted to show he had heard me, “I’m sorry.” at this he tensed up, his face moving back.

“Don’t you ever for a second think I am mad at ya'.” I groaned as I felt the tears arrive again, I wiped my face roughly, forcing a laugh.
“I really just can’t stop”. I sniffed and Daryl moved so he was next to me, pulling my head into his chest.
“I though' I lost you...” he confessed, finally wanting to talk, “I couldn’t.. I didn’t... I didn’t know what to do without you. I wanted to leave but I remember how much you used to say about how the group needed me so... I stayed. I...” I cut him off, leaning off and connecting our lips.

“I love you.” I breathed, our lips still barely touching, his eyes met mine and his lips followed, tongue exploring my mouth quickly.
“I love you too” I grinned, pulling his mouth to mine again, the kiss deepening and ending with his on top of me, his hands tugging down the too big jeans I had on.

I flinched as his hand brushed against a bruise on my thigh, his only body freezing as he felt it. “Shit, I’m sorry Ariella I...”

“It’s okay” I said, trying to put a light tone in my voice, he shook his head. “Daryl” I cupped his face, “Daryl it’s fine. I want you to.” he looked uncomfortable, not reacting as I kept pressing my lips to his. “Daryl, please. I need to forget it.” the frown stayed on his face and I let my hands drop, allowing my head to fall against the thin pillow.

I avoided his gaze, trying to ignore the sting of rejection that hit, would he not find me attracted anymore? Had I been ruined for him? I kept my eyes on the stains on the wall, the carvings some old prisoner had made to count down the days.

After a few minutes his hand brushed my still damp hair put of my face, his lips pressing against my cheek, “I don’t want to hurt you.” his southern accent drawled, sending shivers down my spine.

“You won’t” I said uncertainly, finally meeting his eyes, “I can’t associate it with him anymore, I only want to associate it with you and my feelings for you.”

This time he pressed his lips to mine, his hands travelling down over my chest and back to the jeans, fumbling over the buttons and causing me to giggle into his mouth as I un-did them myself.

“I love you.” I repeated, my face pressed close to his shoulder as he entered me gently, a flashback to the night causing me to bite down hard on my bottom lip, to try and erase those horrible memories with these ones, with someone I loved.
“I love you too.” he said, moaning gently into my mouth, my nails scratching lightly into his toned back.

Footsteps echoed but we were too distracted to notice until a voice rang out, followed by a squeak of embarrassment as Beth appeared from under the blanket, “Oh gosh, sorry, I erm.. we’re...” she had her eyes closed tightly shut, pointing down the hall, “Eating in a bit and dad said.. to... get you?” I had to fight back a laugh at her face, the bright red tone that flushed her.

“Okay Beth, thanks.” I forced out, and she nodded, eye still closed before stumbling out of the room, her footsteps hurried down the corridor, “Well now everyone is going to know.” I said, hitting Daryl lightly as he couldn’t contain his laughter.

“Fuck ‘em.” Daryl thrusted again suddenly causing me to moan loudly, he continued to laugh, kissing my neck.

“We better go,” I squirmed underneath him, my body fighting desperately with my mind. “They’re going to be waiting for us.” he bit into my lip, increasing his pace and forcing everything but him from my mind.

___________

We entered the cafeteria about ten minutes later, Andrea winking at me and earning herself a glare, “Thanks.” I said quietly accepting a bowl of stew from Beth who was still slightly flushed.

Rick broke the awkward silence, “Ariella, as you’re here now,” he went carefully, “You need to know the places you can and can’t go in the prison, some bits are closed up and clear of Walkers but we’re avoiding them.”

I nodded, my hunger suddenly hitting me as I spooned the food into my mouth.

“We also need to sort out what we are going to do if the Governor does indeed come back.” he talked between mouthfuls of food and I ate quickly, earning a chuckle from Glenn who was opposite.

“Hungry?” he asked and I nodded.

“Starving.”

He giggled, “Well ya’know, certain activities make you really hungry.” he lowered his gaze, happy that the table had gone silent and I was growing embarrassed.

“Fuck you Glen...sorry Car”. I said, jokingly glaring at him and laughing as Maggie slapped his arm suddenly, Glenn’s exclamation echoing in the room.

“What does he mean Mom?” Carl suddenly asked as the table burst into awkward, laughter, in that moment seemingly more like a strange family meal than a group of people who had once been strangers hiding in a decrepit old prison.

It felt normal, happy almost.

But as always, that didn’t last for long.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay!

But yay, Ariella and Daryl :D

Drama soon ( as always) ;)