Because Puppets Need Love Too

Everybody Knew

“Nicky?” you asked, tracing patterns on my hand. It hadn’t been very long, but we were already bored.

‘Mmm?” I mumbled back.

“We’re together now, right?”

“Of course! Only if you want to be, that is.”

“It’s the only thing I’ve ever wanted! And I was thinking, since I finally have a boyfriend, I should show him off to everyone who’ll be bothered to listen!” you said excitedly, just like a little kid.

“I’m up for that, let’s go!”

Fifteen minutes later, after an epic search for your “special” black sock, we headed down the stairs of the building and met up with Gary.

“Gary! Guess what!” you called, running up to him.

“What now, Rod?” he sighed.

I’m gay!” you blurted out into the open air, so loudly that everyone who was near us stopped and walked over.

“I told you!” Gary yelled to Kate, a nice girl who lived here on Avenue Q. She was searching for a boyfriend and I had a feeling she’d taken a liking to Princeton, who she was walking with at the moment.

“But, you only get the money if he’s single! Rod, do you have a boyfriend?” she asked eagerly. You nodded proudly, before kissing me on the cheek.

Oh my god!” she squealed, hugging the both of us. You looked like you were going to burst with joy, and that made me feel even better!

“Gary, you owe me ten dollars!” Kate announced, holding out her hand. Gary sighed and handed her the note, frowning at the loss of his precious money.

“Wait, you mean to tell me that you were betting on whether I was gay or not?” you asked, shocked.

“No, it was so obvious that you were, so we bet on whether you’d be single when you came out or if you’d need to get a boyfriend first. Kate won,” Gary answered, still scowling. You giggled, then saw Christmas Eve (the very nice Japanese lady who recently got engaged),and waved at her. She came rushing over, all excited.

“Rod, you such lucky man! I am so proud you have boyfriend, and I know Brian will be too! You and Nicky make perfect couple; I hope you both stay happy. I have to go, I am late for work, we may even have client today!” she said in slightly broken English, hurrying off to the therapists’ where she worked.

“Ooooooooooh?” came the unmistakable noise of curiosity from Trekkie, who was hanging out of the window above us.

“What this me hear about Rod being gay?” he asked.

“I am! Are you surprised?” you replied, shielding your eyes from the sunlight as you looked up at Trekkie.

“No, me knew. I not that dumb, Rod,” he said matter-of-factly. I tried to hide my giggle, because I knew Trekkie would be offended if I laughed. He didn’t go to school, and that led to a life of sitting around on his computer and learning to read and talk properly by watching porn 24/7

“Wow, it seems like everyone knew!” you said, turning back to me. “Did you?”

“Yeah,” I grinned sheepishly

“Why didn’t you tell me? I could have been with you sooner, and I could have been happier!” you cried, frustrated.

“I just didn’t know if you liked me!” I said in defence, “I would have done something sooner if I knew.”

“Well, at least we’re together now,” you sighed, before grabbing my hand and pulling me down the stairs.

“Where are we going now?” I asked

“You’ll see!” you replied, your words warm as sunshine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long ><;;;;