Status: as it goes

Criss Cross

Streetlights

She was shaking.

A deep shuddering tremor that wasn't a result of cold.

Shock and terror radiating out from my core like a silent scream. And the strong arm around her did next nothing to ease it.

The sputtering street lamp caught Alisha's frightened face, bright tear stained eyes fixed on a bundle in her arms and she dared not look away.

There was blood everywhere on her clothes in her hair, on her skin, over the concrete, spattered like so much rain.

And barely a drop was hers

But she couldn't draw eyes away from the tiny whimpering bundle in her arms.

"Damien."

The owner of the arm holding her jerked in surprise.

"What?"

Alisha hesitated taking a shuddering breath,

"She told me if it was a girl her baby would be named Alice and if it was a boy Damien."

He didn't reply for a moment

"Alright."

She took it as an invitation to speak again.

"I can't do it Enri I just can't do what she asked. H-how can I raise a child? Me of all people raise him in this world where he'll constantly be in danger, this world where I'll have to constantly be watching over my shoulder, this world that killed his mother? No I can't do it!"

She finally looked up only for a moment pleadingly. The baby was so small born too early, Alisha was terrified that at any moment he would stop crying and never do so again.

Enreil's face was unreadable lips pressed into a thin line.

"What are you saying."

Alisha didn't answer, An ambulance's Siren blaring in the distance.

His voice grew louder,

"Anafelisha Armond answer me, what are you saying?"

"I'm leaving."

She said suddenly voice breaking.

"I'm so sick of it of the fear the stupid struggles for power, the violence that mows down everything in it's path without a second thought. I hate it Enri I hate it! I can't keep my promise and live in that world I'm leaving it all behind."

"You want to live as a human."

She nodded the sound of the ambulance growing closer.

"Fine, but I'm coming with you."

She didn't argue.

-------------------------------------

I woke with a start squirming so hard that Enreil almost dropped me.

"Easy," Enreil whispered

"You'll wake him up."

I let out a sleepy yawn,

"A train full of circus clowns couldn't wake him up, is Damien okay, what time is it?"

"Damien is fine all drugged up and asleep, and it's 2:45 in the morning to answer your second
question."

I closed my eyes and sighed,

"How long did it last this time?"

Enreil stepped into my room and settled me gently onto the bed.

"Two hours."

My eyes snapped open,

"They're getting worse, this is the second attack in a week."

Calmly he pulled my covers up to my hips.

"I know."

"We've got to talk to him he deserves to know why all this is happening."

Enreil sighed running his fingers back thru his hair and smiling a peculiar sad smile.

"I know."

He left the room in his infuriating fashion, and I half wanted to follow him, but I was too tired and laid back instead remuttering his last words.

"I know."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment!