For Eternity

Chapter Seven.

“Oliver, you can’t do this. They need you!” Carol bellowed at her son. She was appalled that he had the nerve to tell her that he would not follow through with the wedding. She didn’t blame him; it wasn’t her idea in the first place, but she had understood what the Davis’ had meant about being worried about Mila. Of course, Carol knew her son had enough money. Plenty, even, but she was worried about him not finding someone, about him possibly being alone for the rest of his life, which is why she agreed with the Davis’ on the wedding. She knew she was just being paranoid, but she wanted her son to have a happy life with a significant other.

“Mum, you don’t understand. Mila and I don’t love each other. We barely know each other! We can’t go through with a wedding like this. It’s going to make us miserable! Do you want me to be miserable, mum? Do you want me making someone else miserable? Because I don’t want any of that!” Oliver huffed angrily and sat down on his mother’s couch. He was over this conversation already and wanted to leave to pick Mila up from the hospital already.

Carol sighed, but sat down beside her son. “I’m just worried about you. I haven’t seen you with a girl since high school, and that was once, when she came over to just play video games. If you believe that this wedding is a bad idea, then I support you with whatever you decide.”

Oli gave his mother a soft smile. “Mum, I’ll be fine. Just because Mila and I aren’t getting married right away doesn’t mean anything. Who knows? We could get to know each other and start dating, which is how it’s supposed to be. Mila’s a lovely girl and I just want to know her before I marry her, or anyone else, for that matter.”

Oli leaned over to place a quick kiss to his mother’s cheek. “Now, I have to go pick her up from the hospital. I’ll come back over tomorrow, if she feels up to it.”

Oli stood up from the couch and walked toward the front door. He slipped his coat and shoes back on before he walked outside into the cold winter air. He inhaled deeply, then let it out heavily and climbed into his car to start the journey toward the hospital.

Mila’s eyes fluttered open at the sound of the door opening. She smiled small as she watched Oli enter the room. He smiled back, but said nothing as she crossed the room and placed a kiss to her head.

“How are you feeling, love?” He spoke quietly, in case she was still feeling ill. He pulled a chair up to her bed side and sat down, then took her hand in his. Mila didn’t mind; she simply laid her head back against the pillows and stared at the ceiling.

“I’m feeling well, actually. I’m ready to leave.” She sighed. Just then, a nurse walked into her room and began to unhook her from her IV’s.

“You’re free to go. Just have your husband sign the papers on the way out.” The nurse smiled, then left the room. Mila’s face brightened at the comment and she slowly sat up.

“About that. I told my parents the wedding is off.” Oli bit his lip nervously. He was worried about her reaction. Her face lit up, though, like a kid on Christmas. Oli had never seen her smile so big.

“I mean, no offence, you’re great and all, but we barely know each other. How did this come about?” Mila asked, her smile faltering. Oli then explained the incident with her mother the other day. Mila could feel her blood boil.

“I cannot believe she spoke to you that way.” She sighed heavily. “Will you take me to my house? I need to have a word with her, if you don’t mind.”

Mila stood up from the hospital bed and changed into the extra clothes Oli had brought along for her. She didn’t even care if he was sitting there, or if he stared; she was too busy thinking of what to say when she chewed her mother out.

Once she was dressed and Oli had signed the papers, they headed toward her parents’ house. Mila barely even let the car stop before she stormed out and into the house.

“Mother!” She screeched, searching around until she found her mother in the kitchen, alone, making a cup of tea. Mrs. Davis smiled.

“Hello, Mila, nice to see you out of the hospital. How are you feeling?” Her worry was fake and they both knew it. Mila glowered at her mother.

“How dare you speak to Oliver that way! And how dare you think you can decide what I need to do. I am twenty two fucking years old. I will do as I please and there isn’t a damn thing you can do about it anymore. I’ve held my tongue for so long, but you just crossed the line by being nasty toward Oliver. I may not love him, but I do like him a lot and he’s done a lot for me the past few weeks. He’s done more for me than you ever have. He willingly was going to marry me, took me in his home, made me, a stranger, a part of his life just because he thought he was helping out. He was, but you know what? He’s also right about me being just fine on my own. I’m not a selfish, controlling bitch like you.” Mila spat. She was beyond angry with her mother.
“And another thing; the wedding is off. Oli refuses to go through with it and so do I. I never even wanted this stupid wedding to happen in the first place. Oli and I will do things on our own time, if we chose to. I don’t need your help with anything anymore. Just stay out of my life.”

Mila sent her mother another glare before she turned on her heel and stormed out of the house. A weight had been lifted off her shoulders and she smiled brightly once she was Oli leaning against the car. She walked straight up to him, placed her hands on either side of his face, and kissed him.

“I like you, from what I know about you. I want to give us a try and do things on our own terms, not what our parents want. I want to be able to get to know you and have a real relationship, not something based off money needs and paranoia.” Mila let his face go to wrap her arms around his waist. Oli was a bit shocked, but he hugged her back nonetheless.

“I would like that a lot, Mila.”
♠ ♠ ♠
uebguerqbn;rwn
I don't know. This story might be ending soon.
New story, though: http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/469745/Secrets/