Chasing Ever After

Jack.

Sadie Hall still isn’t talking to me, so for the next half hour, I rack my brain’s memories. I really can’t remember helping Sadie back then. I really don’t know why, but I feel really, really miserable right now.

Dammit, Jack. Get your head straight. Remember it, dammit!

My eyes find their way to Sadie, specifically to her back. I tread carefully behind her, stealing glances from time to time. She doesn’t look back, even once. Carter did a few times, just to check up on me if I was still alive.

Why can’t I remember?

Image


It’s afternoon now. We rode a bunch of rides, but I didn’t enjoy them at all. On all rides, I sat beside Sadie, but we never talked at all. I tried to make small conversations, but she didn’t say anything. She just sat there next to me, distant, far-away, acting like I didn’t exist.

“I’m going to buy some food,” Annie says. I know it’s one of their tactics to get me and Sadie alone. “Let’s go, darling?”

Carter glances at me and I just gesture for him to go ahead. They leave, and it’s just me and Sadie, sitting on a bench, in a silence that somehow deafens me. She looks terribly bored and tired while taking a sip from a juice box she’d bought a while ago. I can only stare at her, waiting for her to give some cold remark like, ‘What are you staring at, you jerk?’ or ‘Stop staring at me, you creep’.

I wait for her to say something. Anything. She doesn’t. I sigh.

“You know,” I know I’m just adding fuel to the fire, but I’ll say it anyway, just to get a reaction from her. “I really don’t know why I rejected you in the first place.”
I hear her exert force on the juice box. She’s definitely mad, all right.

I don’t stop there, anyway. “I don’t unlike you. But my feelings for you are really not—“

This is the part where oblivion begins. She finally snaps. “Can you please stop mentioning that? How many times do I have to hear that from you, of all people? Are you that dense?”

I feel bad about doing this to her, but at this desperate point, I’d really say and do anything just to make her look my way. When she finally does, I notice her brown eyes starting to turn red. My eyes widen.

Great. I’m making her cry.

“S-Sadie—“

“Just…shut up, please?” Her voice breaks. I feel like something kicked me in the gut again.

I really am a hateful bastard.