The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows

Things I Thought I Knew

As the day progressed, Margo and I had taken breaks from the make-over to eat snacks or watch a bit of TV. She was curling my hair, the rolls up against my head pinned tightly. I sipped on the lemonade she had made earlier, the whole pitcher now half-way gone.

"So, since it's four already, and you're almost done with your make-over, want to go look at all the dresses I have?" The blonde had asked, spraying a pit of hair spray on her own hair and puffing it up some. In the midst of the chaos that was my make-over, Margo had managed to do her own make-up and hair. It wasn't anything special, just her normal get-up that she usually wore out to dinner.

"I... guess so," I replied, setting my drink down to look up at her with a concerned look on my face. "Margo, I don't wear dresses normally so I don't know what I like or what I don't like," I replied, pursing my lips.

"Oh pish-posh, Miss Ellenor, you think I don't know that? We'll have a little fashion show, it'll be fun, come on," Margo replied, holding out her manicured hand, bracelets dangling and clanking around. I put all my trust into her hand and grabbed hold of it, pulling myself up as I cleared my throat.

"Alright, I'm putting all my trust into, Miss Flinn," I replied, it hesitant and short. She just looked back at me, rolling her eyes.

"Well, Miss Bishop," she began, clearing her throat, "you best trust me. Ella, I don't get why you're so untrusting of people," she finished.

"Well, it's just because of some things I've been through, you know?" I stated, frowning a bit at that statement.

"Well, some of the things you've been through don't account to me, so I promise you can trust me," The lady replied, nodding in assurance as she lead me into the bedroom where her and my father slept. It smelt like pine needles and fresh sheets, smells a house should have in them. "You sure smell like oranges, El," Margo nodded, giggling quietly.

"Uh, thanks? I guess? Joey always says that, hah," I laughed some, sitting down on the bed. I watched as Margo disappeared into the walk-in closet, her clothes more than likely taking up the entire back wall. "Margo... Do you ever get this overwhelming feeling like everything in a moment is so good, you don't want it to go away?" I asked loudly, crossing my legs as I bit my bottom lip.

"Yeah, all the time, sweets, why?" Margo asked loudly back. I heard rustling, which meant she was finding clothes for me to try on like I were some type of doll she was playing dress-up with.

"Because, as of late, I've been feeling that way and it's really weird because it feels like something is going to change here within the next few days or weeks or months. And it worries me because this, right here, is so good, and I don't want it to go away if that change is to happen, you know?" I questioned back, my eyes closed as I listened to the woman sift through things.

"Well, is this good change or bad change we're talkin' about here, kido?" I heard; it was muffled, almost as if she had something in her mouth. When she came back out, the tall girl had two hands filled with dresses, mouth carrying a dress as well. I laughed and got up, helping the blonde lady set down the things on the bed.

"I don't know if it's good or bad, it just is change... It's almost as if it's just stuck right in the middle of good and bad, so, I'm just confused," I replied, looking at all the dresses.

"You'll never know until the change happens. It'll happen and you'll know it and you're just going to have to go with it, yeah?" Margo replied, looking at me with her hands on her hips. What the women said was true, and I thought to myself:man, Margo's really fuckin' smart. "Okay, so, here we have eight options, shoes to match. You have this sexy little red number, this blue loose one, this black one, this green one... Well, you get the point, anyway, go on girl, try some on!" She said, smacking my ass. That jolted me forward and I did as she said, grabbing the green dress. It was made of chiffon, the material light and flowing, and looked to have hung at about mid-thigh, which was fine. It reminded me of mermaids, the color actually really pretty. I pulled the garment on and zipped up the side, fixing the sides some. I looked at the mirror and twirled around, smiling wide.

"This dress is really pretty, Margo," I said through the closet door, biting my bottom lip as I peeped my head out some. "I don't think I want to look further," I added.

"Well, let me see, Ella! Let me see!" She insisted. When I walked out of the closet, her blue eyes lit up and she just smiled wide, rising to her feet as she held out her hands. Grabbing my shoulders, she looked down at me and nodded. "This dress is beautiful on you. You do it justice, me, on the other hand... You sure you don't want to try anymore on?" She asked, looking to me for a nod or head shake.

"Yeah, I want this one," I assured her, biting my bottom lip some more.

"Then you can have it. Here, pick out a pair of shoes," Margo said, pointing to the pairs of shoes she had laid out for me. I looked at them, a pair of five-inch, black pumps standing out. They were sparkly, something a modern-aged witch or vampire would wear. "Those? Really? I... Can you even walk in heels?" She asked, looking rather concerned.

"Yeah, I can walk in heels. I've worn them so many times for eighth grade banquet and homecoming all years. Of course, no one paid attention, but.. I like them. They make me tall enough to lean my head on Joey's shoulders," I smiled just at the memory. It was homecoming tenth grade year, you and I sitting outside on the curb after my 'date' ran off with some stupid brunette named Megan. You were soothing me, my mascara and eyeliner running down on your white satin shirt. I felt so bad, completely staining that shirt. You had said that it was not a problem, that you or your mom could take it to the dry cleaner's or just burn it. The last part made me laugh so hard it completely made me feel better. We rose and hugged and I was able to lean my chin on your shoulder.

"Look, you're tall enough to touch your chin to my shoulder, that's good," I remember you saying, smiling very wide. I just laughed through the tears, wiping my nose off and onto my dress. You wiped them away, laughing with me as you hugged me one last time and we went back inside.

"Ella? Hello, earth to red-head!" Margo was waving her hand in front of my face, my guess that I had drifted off into la-la land thinking about you and I that evening. "You okay, sweets?" She asked. I nodded and giggled quietly, fixing the dress some.

"Yeah, I was just thinking about something. Anyway, yeah, I want those shoes," I replied finally. Margo sat me down and handed me the heels, a sweet yet concerned look on her face as I began to put them on. Once they were fitted onto my pale feet, I rose and twirled around, inhaling and exhaling.

"Wow, look at you! You're as tall as me!" The women said, hands caressing my cheek. "You're so pretty, Ella.. I know you might not see it, but I think you are the most beautiful teenager out there. Your father is so lucky, really," she murmured, hugging me tightly.

"No, he's lucky to have you," I stated, hugging her back just as tight. It was true, like I had said, she saved him almost as much as you had saved me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Sorry for not updating for a bit, I had really bad writer's block
I hope this is up to par haha
I'm going to post probably another chapter.
Thanks so much to everyone who has commented and subscribed, it means a lot.