Status: completed

Be Free, Be You

Eighteen

The next afternoon was spent at Artie’s house with Steph trying to teach the poor girl to sing. I knew what Artie was getting himself into and tried to warn him, but of course being the optimist that he was he just answered with, “It can’t be that bad, she’s got to have some talent.”

Yeah, okay Artie. I was busying myself with looking in his closet, seeing what shirts I would wear and what outfits would look good with some of his jackets and sweaters. God I was getting pathetic, we hadn’t even said anything official and I was acting like this kid was the love of my life. Get. A. Grip.

“No, ‘do’ doesn’t sound like that. You’re jumping up to ‘ti’.” I tried my hardest to keep in a laugh, the two of them were still going over the scale and we’d been working for an hour.

“Artie this isn’t going to work.” Steph said with a sigh.

I walked out of Artie’s closet with one of his tees tucked into my Cheerios dance shorts, “I think we should move onto dancing.”

“Is that my shirt?” Artie asked with a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

“Yeah,” I said simply before pulling Steph off of the bed. “Okay this is like a way old routine from Cheerios but whatever.”

Another hour later and Steph was finally starting to remember the steps... out of order. I groaned and plopped down on Artie’s bed, “Are you doing this on purpose?”

“No! I really am trying!” Steph whined and sat on the floor. “I’m just not good at it.”

Artie rolled over to her, “Well we’re not going to get anywhere if you have that mindset.”

“You know your optimism can get annoying.” I said as I pulled him over for a soft kiss.

He gladly kissed me back before answering, “Oh ask Rachel, I can be a real downer sometimes.”

I rolled my eyes as my phone started ringing from the bedside table, a photo of Santana was flashing on its screen, “Hello?”

“Come over now,” she ordered.

“Um, I’m kind of in the middle of something... can I come later?” I replied, biting my lip. Whenever Santana called it was either because she A, needed something from you, B wanted someone to eat food with, or C she had dirt on you or someone you knew.

“Get your little ass over here or i’m coming to you, we need to talk. Coach Sylvester told me about you quitting the Cheerios today.”

I bit my lip harder and looked worriedly at Artie, who looked equally as worried as he mouthed, “What’s going on?” I shook my head at him and sighed, tugging on my ponytail.

“Fine, I’ll be over in ten.” I finally answered and instead of saying goodbye Santana just hung up the phone. “I’ve got to go, we’ll practice dancing at home. Keep working with Artie, I’ll come and pick you back up whenever I’m let go by the guards.”

“What did Santana want?” Steph asked, catching Artie up on our sisterly lingo.

I ran into Artie’s closet and changed back into my own shirt as I answered her, “She found out about me quitting today, which was a horrible experience thanks for asking, and is demanding I either come to her or she comes and finds me.” I ran back out and gathered up my purse and phone before kissing Artie’s cheek and hugging Steph on my way out.

I practically drove faster than the speed of sound in order to get to Santana’s house. She immediately opened the front door as I pulled into her driveway, “We need to talk Tattoo Barbs.”

I sighed and jogged up to her, only to continue to follow her up to her bedroom where Jenna and Brittany were waiting. Oh shit. Santana pushed me in then locked her door after she’d entered. “Spill, what’s going on with you? Quitting the team, seriously?”Jenna immediately asked. I puffed out air from my nose as I took a spot on the plush floor while Santana took her computer chair. Jenna raised her brows from her spot on the bed while Brittany looked at me strangely.

“You okay Brit?” I asked her.

She blinked again before speaking, “You look like Lord Tubbington after he drinks his coffee.” That earned confused looks from everyone before Santana broke the confused silence.

“You can’t quit. If you quit we don’t win at nationals and no-nick-name Jenna over here gets captain next year because she’s kind of like you. Kind of.” Santana leaned down and grabbed my shirt collar. “You. Cant. Quit.”

I shook her off of me and backed away, “None of you even like me that much anyway, what does it matter if I quit or not.”

“I don’t like anyone,” Santana countered.

“Val, cheerleading is the world you,” Jenna jumped off of the bed and joined me on the floor. “You can’t expect me, your bestfriend to believe that you’re ready to just walk away from it.”

I sighed, “Look, things have changed. I....” I sucked in a deep breath and looked each of them in the eye. “I’m joining the Glee Club with Steph.”

Santana raised her brows, “Really now?”

“Ah Steph’s got such a good voice, but she’s weird.” Brittany said as she fell to lay face down on the bed she now had to herself.

“Steph can’t sing for shit, what are you talking about?” Jenna scoffed.

“What are you talking about?” Santana retorted with a glare. “Steph is in Glee, therefore a good singer.”

“Not everyone in the stupid Glee Club is a good singer, Sugar sucks.” Jenna said with her nose in the air with disgust.

“No, but she’s showering in green, dumbass.” Santana said with just as much ice in her vocals.

“Guys, just drop it okay? I’m joining Glee and quitting the Cheerios.” I said with defeat ringing clear in my own voice.

Brittany leaned up just enough to show her tired looking face to ask, “Why don’t you do both like us?”

I opened my mouth to say something cutting but came up short, “I didn’t think that would be an option for me..”

“Well it is now, I’m calling Coach Sylvester and telling her you didn’t quit and are apart of Glee Club like us too.” Santana said with a note finality.

I nodded as she left, as soon a she was out of the room Jenna pounced on me like a jungle cat, “You don’t sing in front of people, like ever. It took me three years to convince you to sing happy birthday to Stephanie.”

I shrugged, “Someone changed my mind.”

Jenna’s brows raised, “A guy? Like as in a male with a penis and everything? Tell me now!”

I looked nervously at Brittany, whose attention was now solely on me, “I can’t, there’s nothing to really say. He’s just a really good friend of mine.”

“Bullshit,” Santana said from the doorway. “P.S. everything’s fixed again.”

“It is not bullshit,” I said firmly, the bitchiness starting to come back into my voice. “And thanks.” I stood and wiped the dust from myself. “I’m leaving now, I’ll see you guys tomorrow at school.”

I left and took my time getting back to Artie’s house, knowing that we had to talk about us or if there was an us or was ever going to be an us. Ugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
enjoy my dearies!

xox don't forget to comment (: