Status: completed

Be Free, Be You

Thirty-Eight

I was beyond furious. I could have punched her into next year. I had gotten Stephanie in a corner and then she turned the tables onto me. Now, two hours later, I was stuck in the dining room facing the stunned and terrified and slightly angry faces of my parents, who had apparently taken a hasty decision and were about to tell me their game plan.

“Have you heard of Brisbane Recovery?” Mom asked, her words almost swallowed by the shock in her voice. Her blonde hair was pushed hastily away from her face and her wide doe eyes were clearly misted with the possibility of tears.

“You’re not sending me away, I’ve been better. I haven’t done it in a month, ask Artie,” my voice was confident. Inside I was freaking out a little bit, there was no way I was going to be okay if they shipped me off. Not only would I lose my position as captain of the Cheerios next year, I’d lose the possible scholarships, my friends and what scared me the most was that I wouldn’t have Artie.

“Honey you’re sick,” my dad mumbled softly, “You need help.”

I shook my head, “I don’t though. I knew I had a problem, I was caught by Artie, who then helped me get better and now I’m doing just that; getting better.” I was nearly begging, I couldn’t leave. I had a whole life here that I planned on seeing through until I left for college.

My dad got out his phone, called Artie’s parents, told them what was going on and asked the three of them to come over right away. In twenty minutes the six of us were all seated at my kitchen table. It was now nine at night. Artie was squeezing my hand under the table as he asked, “Shouldn't Stephanie be here for this? She’s gotten herself into trouble too, and tried to sabotage Val.”

I took a moment to look at them all, mom was still in her sweater and jeans from the day, Dad was in his black workout pants and a sweatshirt, and Artie, his mom and his dad were all dressed in flat out pajamas. Mrs. Abrams didn’t have a drop of makeup on her face and I couldn’t help but notice how pretty she looked. The adults all looked at each other, Mom and Dad with looks of worry while Mr. Abrams and Mrs. Abrams had on light poker faces.

They all agreed that Stephanie should be down here; I smiled slightly to show him thanks and my mom headed upstairs to get her. Too bad Stephanie was nowhere in sight. When she came stumbling back down, nearly slipping down the length of the steps twice, yelling in her airy voice that Steph was gone with the bedroom window cracked open and left unlocked. Artie leaned over to me and whispered that she was probably with Puckerman. “Well duh,” I mumbled, earning a soft chuckle from him.

I sighed as my dad called the cops to look for her. Mrs. Abrams brought everyone back to the table and put the attention back on me, “We love Valarie as much as the two of you do,” she began, instantly grabbing everyone’s attention. “But sending her away, I don’t think, will be the solution.”

I exhaled a breath I didn’t know I was holding and so did Artie. He brought our intertwined hands up for a brief moment to kiss the back of my hand and rested them back on the arm of his chair. “What about her health? Valarie, honey, why would you do this to yourself?” My mom’s voice sounded so broken it made my heart crumble a bit.

I opened my mouth to speak but Artie cut me off, “With all due respect, Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, Val hasn’t done anything like that in a while. She’s doing great,” he turned to me. “Didn’t you gain a pound or something?”

I sighed, “Two. I gained two pounds.” I could see the hope flare in my parent’s eyes and the pride rise in Artie’s parent’s for their son being able to better me. “I really am doing better guys. Artie made me realise what I was doing to myself, for whatever reason, wasn’t a good enough reason.” I blushed and mumbled, “His love is making me better.”

Both of our mother’s cooed out a chorus of, “Aww,” while our dad’s let small smiles escape. Before Mom and Mrs. Abram’s could embarrass the two of us a knock sounded on the door and Dad rushed to get it. It was two cops with Steph. I they talked in hushed voices for a couple of minutes before Dad thanked the officers, wished them a good night and brought in a furious and shameful looking Stephanie. When the two of them stepped into the dining room Steph’s face immediately changed to confusion.

“What are you guys doing here?” She asked.

“Why don’t you tell everyone where you were Stephanie?” My dad asked, his Angry Voice was in full effect.

Mr. Abrams and Mrs. Abrams turned to look at me and Artie, our hands still interwoven, “We’re going to head home. Valarie is always welcome over, if things get heated tonight call Artie and we’ll set up everything for you, sweetie.”

I smiled at her before quickly embracing the two of them and kissing Artie goodnight. They went home and Mom, Dad, Steph and I were all left standing in the kitchen. “I was with a friend.”

“What was his name,” my dad pressed, steam was nearly coming from his ears.

“Noah Puckerman,” her voice was nearly drown in what was either shame or pride, oddly enough I couldn’t tell.

“Didn’t you say earlier that your thing with him was over?” Mom’s tone of anger surprised me but I didn’t dare show it. Usually she went easy on Steph, but I was more than happy Mom was seeing the realistic situation this time.
♠ ♠ ♠
enjoy my dears!

xox