Status: In progress

Set Fire to the Rain

Choices Made for Me

Chapter 2: Choices Made for Me

The room I was taken to was a medium sized room with books covering the walls. There was one desk with someone behind it and a chair across from him. I recognized the person behind the desk right off the bat; it was Zachariah, our leader or president or whatever we called him now. I was quite surprised to see him because he didn’t usually bother with the interviews.

“Hello Lexi, will you please take a seat?” He motioned toward the empty chair in front of him.

I nodded and sat down. I felt anxious in his presence, like if I said one wrong thing he would order my tongue cut out or something worse. What if he did have ears in my house and heard what I said to my sister that morning? But then again I wouldn’t care. I had to be tough; I couldn’t be like my sister and just let people boss me around. I sat up straighter, ready for whatever he threw my way.

“I don’t normally do evaluations so please excuse me if I don’t ask the normal questions.” He smiled at me.

“It’s fine.” I responded in a polite tone. Even I wasn’t stupid enough to show him disrespect.

“Your name is Lexi Roland, correct?”

I nodded in response, “Yes.”

“What were your parent’s names?” He asked looking straight into my eyes.

“Collin and Marie Roland.” I answered trying not to react. I hadn’t seen my parents since I was eight, they just disappeared one day.

“What’s your sister’s name?” He should have known all of these questions. Why was he asking me them?

“Ariel Roland.” I answered.

“What caste do you think we will place you in, Lexi?” He picked up a pen and opened a file that was in front of him.

“Workers.” I answered confidently.

“And why is that?” He asked as he started jotting down notes.

“Because my whole family has been in that caste. Besides there is nothing really remarkable about me.” I looked down at my hands which were folded in my lap. After being told that my whole life by practically everyone I was starting to believe it. I was just the daughter of some workers and wouldn’t get anywhere in my life because of the Government basically says so.

“You got top grades in school until you dropped out at the age of 15. Why did you drop out?” He was looking at me again but not in a scrutinizing way, unlike everyone else.

“Because my sister’s husband got sick at the time, black lung from working in the mines, and my sister wasn’t able to raise enough money to feed the household and to help her husband so I started working odd jobs. Her husband ended up dying a year later and I just continued working.” I hated talking about stuff like that, especially to people I don’t know that well. It’s not like I really know anyone.

“A pretty, smart girl like you shouldn’t have to do hard labor.” He said with a pitying look.

“Maybe not but it’s what kept my sister and I alive this long.” I answered trying not to show him that he irritated me with his comment.

“I think that can conclude our meeting.” He answered as he wrote something down. “You can get back to the festivities and I will see you tomorrow for the ceremony.”

***
The ceremony was held in the local amphitheater. Everyone from town was invited to see who was placed where. I sat down with the other 17 year olds while my sister took a seat towards the back.

All the 17 year olds were on the edge of their seats. They looked excited for a new life and some seemed nervous that they would be stuck in the same caste as their parents. Me, I was indifferent, I knew there was no chance of me moving up in the system.

Zachariah walked up to the podium and all the chatter stopped. He smiled to the crowd. “Welcome to the annual Cast Placement Ceremony. I know that all the kids are anxious for their placement so I won’t waste much more of your time with a big speech.” In other words he didn’t want to remain in the squalor of our town. “Abigail Andin.” He called out and a blond, curly haired girl with brown eyes stood up and walked to the podium. I recognized her from school; she was one of the one’s that always followed the rules and never got in trouble. She stood beside Zachariah, facing the crowd, waiting for him to call out her placement and new husband. The whole time this was happening Zachariah kept his eyes on the crowd and Abigail was smiling. “You will be joining the worker caste with your new husband Xander Daniels.”

Abigail’s smile fell for a fraction of a second but she perked right back up. “Welcome to your new life, Abigail Daniels.” He said and motioned her to go back stage.

It was the same procedure for everyone else. Only two got Governmental jobs and they were guys. None from our town got in on the Upper caste.

I was the last one sitting which made me nervous. Why was I last? My last name started with an ‘R’ so I should have already been called.

Zachariah looked right at me and winked, then he looked at the crowd which was beginning to whisper. “As you know, last you I picked my intern Markus Woodley. This year he is in need of a good wife, like all great leaders are. The Government is also in need of a spokesperson, someone to be the fact of the Government. So the council and I have discussed it and interviewed many young women. In a unanimous vote we chose Lexi Roland.” Everyone started clapping and I just sat there shocked. I didn’t know whether to be happy or angry that I was in this position. The government was corrupt, everyone knew it but nobody really said it out loud. But I’m sure my sister would be excited that I received such and ‘honor’.

“Please come up on to the stage, Lexi.” Zachariah said with a great big smile on his face. I stood up slowly and walked up to the stage and as I did I could feel every eye on me. “This is a big honor and I know we chose the right person.” Zachariah said to me when I reached him.

He turned back to the crowd. “This now concludes the Cast Placement Ceremony.” He turned to me and motioned me towards backstage. “After you.”