Status: possibly active, possibly just a one shot

The Showcase

Part one

McKenzie had a showcase. Butterflies were making her feel sick. It was only her second one, but this one was special. Mark had said that Synyster Gates was gonna be there. He had been divorced from Michelle for over 9 months and he always looked miserable in pictures when Matt was with Val. Mckenzie had been out of a relationship for 9 months too. He was a jerk and she had almost died from him pushing her down the stairs. Leaving him was the best thing to have ever happened to Kenzie. She had wasted 3 years of her of being abused emotionally and physically by him and it was time for her to move on. She had a crush on Synyster since she was 13. And she was 23 now. Maybe she had a chance with him if he liked her showcase.

McKenzie had only started these because her ex hated when she sang or had any interest in anything other than him. She had gone three years scared to sing around him, and once she finally dumped his abusive ass, she started singing again. Her best friend Louise was the only who told her about these showcases. She could sign three or four songs and have free drinks and food. Who wouldn’t want that? Kenzie’s first one blew her away. Everyone commented on her voice how she could sing really high but also pretty low. They also loved how she could sing jazz, r&b, pop and rock, pretty much anything. Also she could play the guitar and piano really well. It was thanks to her gift of being able to sing and play anything by just listening to it. A talent she had hidden away for so long.

The song list was the hardest part. She was going to sing to Synyster Gates. She couldn’t just sing any old song now could she? At least Mark had given her a week to prepare. Two would have been better but at least it wasn’t two days. With Louise’s help she picked out four songs.
•Heartbreaker – Pat Benatar
•Crow and the Butterfly – Shinedown
•Just Tonight – The Pretty Reckless
•Skin – Sixx:A.M.
Picking out an outfit was the next hardest part. After hours of planning outfits, McKenzie had the perfect outfit. She felt so confident in gray, white and black bustier butterfly dress, black velvet strappy wedges with a black pearl and lace headband and crystal hoops. Her hair was not an easy task. Louise had convinced her to straighten it and curl the ends a little bit. The purple and black in her hair was starting fade and Kenzie had no choice to re dye it. But it turned out way better than it had before. Kenzie was ready to get out there and do her thing.

Hours later, McKenzie was nervously peeking from behind the curtain. She could clearly see Synyster Gates mingling and drinking. And then M Shadows appeared. Without Val. That made her even more nervous. Just Syn was bad enough, but now him and Matt? Dear lord. Taking deep breaths, she took another sip of her wine. Mark was telling her that it would be okay, and she believed him. Louise saw her peeking and gave a thumbs up and pointed to Syn winking. Louise had talked to him, Kenzie could tell by the facial expressions. And now she was even more nervous. Mark was about to introduce her, with the introduction he had used last time. Just a little updated, and approved by Kenzie. “Hello everyone, I am Mark Thomas. Hope everyone enjoyed our last act The Kirkwood Brothers. Up next is a sweet, but rough and tumble girl named McKenzie Spencer. This is only her second showcase and she got out of a bad relationship but bloomed with our showcases. She’s only 23 but an amazing singer who can sing just about anything you toss at her. Give a warm welcome to Kenzie!” And with that cue, the curtains opened and she stepped into the spotlight.

After finishing her set, she headed backstage and gulped down her wine. The whole time she was staring in Syn and Shadows’ direction, trying to not actually look like she was staring. But it was hard not to. It actually made her less nervous, surprisingly enough. Finally she decided to head out. The first person she came across was Louise who talked a mile a minute about her singing. But the only person Kenzie noticed was Synyster. Who was actually, it seemed, waiting to talk to her. The butterflies were coming back. What was he gonna say? Did he like her singing, her choice of songs? Her outfit, did he even care what she had worn? She checked her boobs to make sure they were not overexposed or something. She was just paranoid.

Once Louise was done gabbing, Kenzie grabbed more wine as Syn approached her. “You were really good up there, McKenzie.” For a second she didn’t know that to say. “Thank you” she replied, smiling. After all she could think was “that was such a stupid smile” but Syn only smiled back so she brushed it off. “Matt thought you were good too. But he is too busy getting drunk to come say anything. He doesn’t want to say anything stupid to you.” Kenzie blushed. “Nah, you should see me drunk. Louise, the blabber mouth” she motioned to her friend who was drinking and sitting on some man’s lap “over there, was surprised when I first got drunk around her. She thought I was hilarious but so embarrassing. What I say is pretty embarrassing.” Great she was blabbing. “Sorry, I talk so much when I’m nervous.” Syn just smiled. “I make you nervous?” Again, she blushed. “Yes you do.”

For the next hour, they talked and Kenzie even told him about her ex-boyfriend. She felt like she could tell him anything and not feel weird about it later. He told her a lot about himself too, and a few times she fan girled and told him she already knew that. And it was his turn to feel embarrassed. Kenzie didn’t think she could make him feel embarrassed yet she did. She had not laughed this much since she first started dating her ex, and she told him that. After the night was over, he gave her his number. And told her to text him anytime. McKenzie Spencer had Synyster Gates’ number. If anything, she was not expecting that. But it was a pleasant surprise. When she climbed into bed, all Kenzie could think about was Brian. Brian. It just slipped off her tongue so well. Closing her eyes, Kenzie started to dream about the next time she would see Brian Elwin Haner Jr., Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is possibly just a one shot. i might get inspired to make a second part, you never know :)

you can find kenzie's outfit at http://synysterslilmissharlot.tumblr.com/post/19842381710/this-is-the-outfit-mckenzie-spencer-wears-in-my