If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-four.

We get to the apartment and Justin pulls into the driveway. ‘Ryan and Nichole borrowed the Range Rover.’ He looks over at me, reading my mind. ‘Guess they’re enjoying that date of theirs.’

‘Where’d they go?’

‘I don’t know. I think he said something about this pizza place.’

I grab Rocky and follow Justin through the kitchen. He sets down the dog bed and dish in the corner of the living room walking down the hall.

‘I got the air mattress out we can put it in the living room.’ Justin says opening up a blue box.

I help him tug the mattress from its box and spread it out. Justin uses the pump to inflate the mattress. He squeezes it to make sure there was enough air in it and cuts the pump off.

‘Go ahead and sit on it.’ He instructs leaning down to look at it.

I do as I’m told and bounce on the mattress, ‘it feels fine to me.’

‘Okay good.’ He puts the box and pump aside.

‘I didn’t bring any change of clothes.’ I look down at my clothes worn from today.

‘Never fear.’ Justin laughs extending a hand out to me, ‘I have plenty of clothes here.’

‘That was a terrible joke.’ I take his hand, trailing behind him up the stairs.

‘You liked it.’ He smirks looking back at me before opening the door.

The room wasn’t so messy anymore. The cords weren’t tangle. Shoes weren’t scattered around the wood flooring. The t-shirts were folded neatly on the chair pushed in the corner. McDonalds bags and Panda Express wrappers had vanished.

‘Someone cleaned up.’

‘Yeah, Ryan and I thought we’d straighten up a bit. Give it a day.’

‘It’ll be back to its normal messy look.’

‘You got it.’ Justin bends over in one of his drawers and hands me a long black tee shirt. ‘There you go.’

‘Thanks. Mind if I shower?’

‘You don’t have to ask me but not at all.’ He shrugs, ‘I’ll just be downstairs. The towels are in the same cabinet you left them.’

‘Be down shortly.’

Justin’s Point of View

I’m flipping through the movie channels on the TV while Chrissy is upstairs showering. Rocky is tucked away in the corner sleeping already, that didn’t take long. I go onto Twitter finding nothing on TV that seemed to interest me. My mentions were filled with people wishing me happy birthday and saying just how much they love me. They had no idea how much I actually love them. I can’t always get to all of them because my mentions go insanely fast but if I could I definitely would. They took a young boy from Canada and changed his life completely. I could never thank them enough for helping me get here today. If someone would’ve stopped me ten years ago and said this is going to be my life I probably would’ve laughed at them. Footsteps patter down the stairs before Chrissy is walking over to her purse. She was dressed in one of my tee shirts that fell just above her knee completely catching me off guard. I hear myself gulp and I’m guessing she did too because she turned to look at me. She gets her phone and sits beside me on the sofa.

‘What are you watching?’ she asks curiously.

‘I don’t know.’ I reply taking my eyes off of her legs, ‘I can’t really find anything.’

Ryan and Nichole come back before long and join us in the living room. I was glad we all piled onto the sofa because Chrissy was practically on me. I play it cool but in reality I was trying to not to breathe too hard or leaning too much on her.

‘Happy Birthday!’ she smiles holding up her phone to show it was after midnight.

‘Happy Birthday!’ Nichole and Ryan cheer in unison.

‘Thanks guys.’

I don’t remember falling asleep, I just remember staying up with Chrissy all night watching movies. When I woke she was gone and I was by myself on the air mattress.

‘Where’s Chrissy?’ I mumble sitting up to see Ryan pouring himself a glass of water.

‘She asked if I would give her a ride home because she needed to do a few things. She said tell you bye though.’

I nod checking my phone to see tons of texts from friends and family wishing me a happy birthday. One of the texts was from Chrissy.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (again) 20!!! I hope you have THE best day today because you deserve it so much. You’re such a great person and I’m wishing nothing but greatness and joy. Have fun with the guys and I can’t wait to see you tonight so we can celebrate. – Chrissy.

I smile at her message as I roll out of the bed.

‘Hurry up and get ready so we can celebrate your birthday.’ Ryan calls as I jog up the stairs.

‘Yeah yeah.’ I go into the room and get a pair of jeans and a hoodie before taking a shower. ‘So where are we going first?’ I ask kicking my feet into my sneakers.

‘Breakfast.’

‘Sounds good.’

Ryan, Nichole, and I all get into the car and go to the nearest iHop about twenty minutes away. I sent Chrissy a reply about half an hour ago and she still hadn’t got back to me. I just hope she was okay at her house with Jeff. I call while in the car bit she doesn’t answer.

‘It’s his birthday.’ I overhear Ryan tell the waitress. ‘Can you guys sing him the birthday song?’

Before I could object the waitress was snaking happily to the back.

‘I’m gonna get you back.’ I mutter to Ryan.

The waitress returns with about five other workers and places a large ice-cream sundae and they all begin to sing happy birthday. Soon everyone inside of iHop joins in while Ryan records it.

‘Thank you everyone! That was great.’ I wave around the building popping the spoon into my mouth.

‘Meals on the house.’ The waitress smiles before walking away.

‘Thank you.’ I call behind her.

I leave a tip before we leave and head back to the apartment.

Sorry I missed your call. Been really busy this morning. Hope your enjoying today. See you tonight. – Chrissy.

I couldn’t wait to get finished with the guys so I could spend the night with Chrissy. Then I’d get to ask what had her so preoccupied. The day went by before I knew it and I was leaving out of the house with Ryan, Garrett, and Fredo.

‘Where’d Nichole go again?’ I ask putting the watch on my wrist.

‘I think she’s meeting up with some friends.’

‘Bye Rock.’ I wave.

Rocky just ate and went outside just a second ago so he would probably be sleeping his night away. Typical.

‘Are you boys ready to have fun?’ Alfredo pulls the car away from the curb with a smile on his face.

‘Here we go.’ Garrett joins in.

‘Which club are we going to again?’ I ask leaning forward in the car.

‘The Edison.’ Ryan answers looking down at his phone.

‘Edison? Its always so crowded.’

‘Maybe it wont be tonight.’ Alfredo chimes in.

‘I hope not.’

We get to Edison and there are a train of cars outside the club and filling the parking lot up.

‘See.’ I groan, ‘Can’t we just go somewhere else?’

‘Come on. Lets go check it out.’ Garrett suggests opening the door.

‘Well you go see how packed it is and come back.’

‘Get out the car.’ Ryan and Alfredo pull on my arm until I get up.

‘Fine. I swear if it’s packed in here I’m walking home.’

‘Just come on.’

The bouncer waits at the door and checks our IDs before letting us in. Everything was quiet and dark, unusual.

‘Where are the lig-…’

‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!’

I jumped back into Ryan when the lights flashed on and several voices shouted. Chrissy stood right in front in this skirt and a top that hugged her in just the right places. On her sides were Nichole and Danielle.

‘What’s all this?’ I couldn’t help but be in shocked.

I literally wasn’t even on to this at all. I always sniff onto pranks and surprises.

‘It’s your surprise party.’ Chrissy stands in front of me pulling me in for a hug.

‘You did all of this?’

‘Guilty.’ She laughs moving aside so I could see the people behind her.

‘GUYS.’ I hurry over to my dad, Jax, Jaz, and pals from Canada.

‘Happy Birthday.’ Jaxon says when I kneel eye to eye with him.

‘Thanks little bro. You’re getting so big on me.’

‘Happy 20th sweetheart.’ My mom gives me a tight hug.

‘Thanks mom.’

‘You’re still a kid.’ Scooter laughs as we slap hands, ‘I’m not going to treat you any different.’

‘I wouldn’t want you to.’

The party begins and everyone was having a good time talking to one another. I finally get away and a chance to get a hold of Chrissy. I pull her over to the wall hugging her. I could see the flashes going off behind us.

‘I wasn’t expecting any of this.’ I look around shouting over the music.

‘That was the point.’ She teases back with a small smile on her face.

‘Why’d you do it? Why do you still talk to me? Even after what I did. Everything – most people would’ve been done with me a long time ago.’

‘Lets not talk about that.’ She calls back, ‘I’d do anything for you Justin, you’re worth it.’

I spot a sleek black piano in the corner of the room and get an idea. I thank Chrissy once more before excusing myself to go talk to the DJ. I ask him after this song could he cut the music for a while. Once the lights go up I make my way over to the piano.

‘Everyone.’ I tap the microphone positioning it on top of the piano. ‘I want to share something with everyone.’

Chrissy’s Point of View

I watch along with everyone else as Justin clears his throat into the microphone. Justin was sitting at the piano positioning his fingers on the keys.

‘What’s he doing?’ Danielle whispers over to me.

‘I’m not sure.’ I shrug in response.

‘Where’s Chrissy?’ he says into the microphone, ‘Chris, can you come up here in the front?’

Danielle gives me a soft push easing me to the front of the group.

‘You’re so beautiful.’ He smiles shaking his head.

I hear a few laughs and aww's behind me.

‘This is for you.’

“What would I do without your smart mouth?

Drawing me in, and you kicking me out.

Got my head spinning, no kidding, I can’t pin you down.

What’s going on in that beautiful mind?

I’m on your magical mystery ride.

And I’m so dizzy, don’t know what hit me, but I’ll be alright.

My head’s under water

But I’m breathing fine.

You’re crazy and I’m out of my mind.

Cause all of me loves all of you.

Love your curves and all your edges.

All your perfect imperfections.

Give your all to me; I’ll give my all to you.

You’re my end and my beginning.

Even when I lose, I’m winning.

‘Cause I give you all of me

And you give me all of you.

How many times do I have to tell you?

Even when you’re crying you’re beautiful too.

The world is beating you down; I’m around through every mood.

You’re my downfall, you’re my muse.

My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues.

I can’t stop singing, it’s ringing in my head, for you.

My head’s underwater, but I’m breathing fine.

You’re crazy and I’m out of mind.

Cause all of me loves all of you.

Love your curves and all your edges.

All your perfect imperfections.

Give your all to me; I’ll give my all to you.

You’re my end and my beginning.

Even when I’m lose, I’m winning.

Cause I give all of me.

And you give me all of you.”

When Justin finishes the room erupts with claps and cheers. Justin’s figure was blurry behind my oncoming tears. I wipe my eyes as he stands up beside the piano.

‘Chrissy I just wanted to say that I love you more than I ever dreamed possible. You make me happier than I ever dreamed possible. I don't want to go on without being your boyfriend because I know how it feels. It sucks. It feels like everything in the world around me is just gray. Everything is silent and lacks feeling. But when we're together I swear I'm on cloud nine every single day. I just want you to be with me again. I know I have made terrible mistakes in the past baby, but I'm a work in progress. I'm trying to be the best me I can possibly be all because of you. I promise that I will love you unconditionally because there has never been a moment in our relationship that I haven't. Through my mistakes I have loved you. I just didn't know it then. I promise to always be there for you regardless of what happens between us. I will destroy anyone who ever tries to hurt you. Just give me a call and I'm there, to hold you, to talk to you, to make you laugh, or just to listen. I promise that no girl can ever, ever come between us again. I know it wasn't just the girls - it was me too. I'm at fault. But I refuse to let any other girl get before my beautiful Chrissy. You are everything to me and I'd rather run my car into a million fences before I'd let you get away again. I promise to never ever hurt you again. I've seen you cry because you were just that happy and I've seen you cry because of something I did and it is the worst thing in the world. Hurting you is something I will always regret. I could never tell you sorry enough. I promise to respect you and your choices. You don't know how much I wanted to find you during those weeks apart. I decided that it was something you needed and I wanted to give you that. I promise to never lie to you or keep something from you, even if it happened in the past as long as we live. It's stupid and pointless. I promise to cherish you Chrissy. You are this beautiful rare diamond that only I have. I let you fall, I damaged you, and I hurt you. You're something that needs to be loved, admired, and cared for. I will treat you no other way. I love you so so much. You are my life. I know how pathetically sappy that sounds but you are. You've impacted my life in a way you'll never understand and I'm happy you did.’

I watch as Justin walks over to me and gets down on one of his knees. He takes my hand in his looking up at me with a smile I couldn’t describe with words. Tears cloud his deep brown eyes while he digs in his pocket. I squint my eyes confused wanting ask what he was looking for but I hold my tongue. He pulls out the same purple diamond ring I threw at him outside of Tracey’s apartment an entire month ago. He looks at the ring in his hand before meeting my eyes again.

‘Will you be my girlfriend, again?’