If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-five.

Justin’s Point of View

‘So,’ I clear my throat looking up at Chrissy, ‘what do you say?’

‘I say,’ she pauses dramatically in the only way Chrissy would. If only she knew how I was about to die waiting, ‘yes.’ She beams happily.

This entire room broke out in cheers and claps with the occasional flashing of phones and cameras. I don’t waist any time and grab her up in my arms. I hold her with every ounce of me. She hides herself in my collarbone squeezing me back just as hard.

‘I love you so much.’ She says into my skin.

I haven’t those three words from Chrissy in a long, long, month. It was all I ever wanted to hear come those beautiful lips of hers. I wish I could record her saying “I love you” then play it every second of every day.

‘I love you Chrissy.’ I whisper just as soft as she did.

‘I love you Jay.’ She repeats happily, not letting go.

If I didn’t physically see all the people watching I wouldn’t have thought we were in a room full of people. I could’ve sworn we were alone for about more than fifteen minutes.

‘Let the party continue!’ I call out as the music starts to play and the lights go back down, ‘come with me.’ I pull Chrissy aside to a nearby table and sit down. She looks confused but smiles anyway.

‘What are we doing over here?’ she finally asks curiously.

‘I honestly just want to kiss you so badly right now.’ She opens her mouth to reply and I cut her off with a kiss using my ninja speed. Chrissy immediately kisses me back just as eagerly. She uses her hands to hold me there by my neck. Her hand reaches up to take my hat off and place it on the table. Once we pull back we stay connected with our foreheads. ‘I wanted to do that every day for the last four weeks.’

‘As mad as I was at you – so have I.’

I peck her lips once more looking into her eyes.

‘Justin?’

‘Yeah Chris?’

‘Don’t ever do that to me again.’ She says in the most serious was I’ve ever heard Chrissy talk. ‘I don’t know if I’ll be able to forgive you again.’

‘I swear I won’t.’ I promise, ‘I love you too much to lose you.’

‘Did you really mean that back there?’

‘Every single word.’

‘Even the diamond part?’ she stiffs out a giggle.

‘Especially the diamond part.’ I laugh nodding my head.

‘I need to get your present from the car.’ She pulls away and stands to her feet.

‘Don’t go outside.’ I stand up with her.

‘Why not?’ she is already looking around for her keys.

‘Its dark out there.’

She pauses her movements to look up and laugh at me. She snakes across the room and gets her purse retrieving her keys. ‘Well will you please escort me to my vehicle?’

‘Okay.’ I agree slipping my fingers through her before she pushes the door open.

I was actually surprised no paps found the place yet but it is still pretty early. Chrissy’s car was not too far down the lane so we didn’t have too far to walk. She looks back at me with a smile giving my hand a squeeze.

‘Chris, when did you want to get back together?’ I wonder.

‘Everyday since I left Tracey’s house without you. But something clicked when you were outside the hotel in Verona calling out for me. When did you?’

‘When I got back to the apartment to see all your stuff was gone. I wanted you back.’

She turns and wraps her arms around my waist. I kiss her forehead before releasing her as she unlocks her car.

‘I think you’re going to like your present.’ Chrissy lifts the trunk and squints in confusion.

‘What’s the matter?’

‘I could’ve sworn I brought it out of the house when I came.’

‘Did you bring it inside?’

‘No, I left it here. I said I was going to come back for it later.’

‘It’s okay, baby.’ I rub her shoulders that were built with stress; ‘I can always get it later.’

She leaves my arms and bends over into the trunk picking up a piece of paper.

Chrissy’s Point of View

His birthday couldn’t be a celebration,

When all I feel is devastation.

I’m tired of waiting for you to come around

Something that you left was found.

Finders keepers, loser’s a bleeder.

Or is it weeper?

Hey I was never any good with traditional rhymes – so I made my own.

- Closer than you think.

‘Chrissy?’ Justin’s voice makes me tense.

I turn around to meet his brown eyes in the dark. They were filled with curiosity and confusion.

‘What’s going on? What is that?’

‘Not-…’ I couldn’t lie to him anymore. Especially after the latest threat.

Justin takes the paper from my hand and sits down in the trunk to read it. I don’t say anything as he stares heavily at the paper.

‘Who wrote this?’

‘I don’t know.’ I admit going into my purse and getting the previous notes including the ripped one and hand them to Justin.

His jaw tightens and his hands are formed into tight balls.

‘I’m calling the police now.’ Justin grits his teeth and pulls his phone from his baggy pocket.

I don’t fight him on this one. He had this look on his face that I couldn’t decipher. There was no changing his mind again. Justin talks to the police officer that left me his card a few days back and talks to him for over ten minutes. Justin hangs up and grabs me pulling into his chest.

‘Don’t keep anything like that from me again. You could’ve gotten hurt and I wouldn’t have known anything.’

‘I just wanted your birthday to be special.’

‘Screw my birthday. I want you alive.’ Justin pulls me even closer not even a feather could slip its was between us. ‘The cops are bringing him in for questioning.’

‘What?’

‘Tonight. Now actually. They’re going to his house.’

‘I have to leave.’ I scramble into the car. ‘Justin drive please.’

Justin jumps into the driver’s seat and turns the key, the car’s engine roars as Justin speeds out of the parking lot. I turn on the GPS to Jeff’s apartment because I couldn’t possibly give directions right now. Justin follows the GPS all the way to Jeff’s place where we see a train of flashing police cars. I hurry and get out of the car despite Justin’s protests.

‘What are you doing here?’ Officer Carter walks over to me with his hands on his hips, ‘this probably isn’t the best idea right now.’

‘Where’s Jeff?’ I ignore his rambling about the procedures they have to take.

‘Suspect is not here. I repeat suspect is not here.’ Someone says into his radio.

’10-4. All squad units report to 4502 Deerwood Avenue.’ Officer Carter instructs.

‘That’s my address.’ I swallow.

‘Excuse me ma’am. Please let the police do their job.’

‘What are you going to do to him?’

‘There’s honestly not much we can do. We’re just going to have to bring him into questioning, excuse me.’ He walks off and climbs into the flashing police SUV.

‘Come on.’ I hurry to the car and slid into the passenger seat. Justin drives to my house just as the police jog their way across the yard. I kick out of my heels and jump out of the car. Justin runs behind me holding me by my waist keeping me out of the way.

‘What is this all about?!’ I hear Jeff shout.

‘Please, sir. Just come down to the station for a few questions.’

‘Questions about what?’

‘Sir, please. We would appreciation your cooperation. We’re not arresting you. Now, will you come with us?’

‘Chrissy?’ Jeff’s face shatters as he stares at me from across the yard, ‘don’t look at this Chrissy. Call your mom, tell her to come home so you won’t be alone.’

Two large police officers were standing on each side of him. They open the door and shove him down into the car before slamming the door behind him. I squirm from Justin’s grasp and hurry into the house. There were police everywhere looking around. Jeff’s black suitcase was open and pictures of me where scattered across the table. Some of the pictures were from today when I was running around for Justin’s birthday. If Justin wasn’t behind me I would’ve fell out onto the floor. His arms pull me outside to the car. The police car containing Jeff was now gone to the police station.

‘Don’t be mad at me.’ Justin stabs into the silence hovering over us.

‘I’m not,’ I sigh, ‘I just can’t Jeff would actually do this.’

‘People can surprise you.’

‘How am I supposed to tell my mom this?’

‘Worry about that tomorrow.’ Justin says, ‘I’ll even help you call.’

‘Okay.’

‘Do you want to stay here or do you want to go to the apartment or something?’

‘Rocky’s probably waiting for us.’

‘Alright, let’s go.’ Justin closes my door behind me and walks around to get in.

The ride to the apartment was quiet, probably because neither one of us knew exactly what to say. Both of our phones were going off, forgetting we left the party. Justin hands me his ringing phone as he’s driving.

‘Hello?’

‘Hey, Chrissy. It’s me. Are you guys coming back or what?’ Ryan’s voice chimes on the other line.

‘Yes, we’ll be back.’ I look over at Justin as he looks over at me, ‘we just went to see something.’

‘Alright. We’ll see you in a bit then.’

‘Okay bye.’

‘Do you really want to go back?’

‘It’s your birthday and your friends flew all the way here to spend it with you. Do you think we should check on Rocky first?’

‘I’m sure he’s sleep now.’ Justin shrugs, ‘he’ll be fine.’

‘Yeah, you’re right.’

Justin and I go back to the party where we spend a few more hours with the blaring music and talking with friends as well as family.

Justin’s Point of View

‘We’ll see you guys there.’ Ryan and Nichole wave getting into the car to leave.

I don’t know what time it was or exactly when I made it back to the apartment with Chrissy. She was half asleep in the passenger’s side beside me casually giving me a smile laced with sleep.

‘I think tonight was the best birthday yet.’

‘Well wait till you see what I have planned for next year.’ She laughs looking up at the red light.

‘I’m going to have to plan you a good party in less than a month.’

‘You remembered.’ She glances over to me.

‘Of course I remember your birthday. What do you want do?’

‘Spend the day with you.’

‘I can work with that.’

I pull into the garage to see we beat Ryan and Nichole here. Chrissy eases her way out of the car and follows me into the apartment. The place was quieter than usual.

‘Rock?’ I call out loudly.

Dead silence. His paws aren’t pattering around on the wood flooring. Chrissy runs up the stairs to see if he was asleep in one of the rooms, while I check around downstairs. On the coffee table a piece of paper stuck out to me. I felt like a train struck me before I even read it. I grab the paper and bring it to my eyes.

First the gift, now the mutt.

I’m on a roll tonight, don’t you think?

Guess you should’ve kept your mouth shut.

Sad to see your mom’s precious Jeff drug out of the bed.

Rather him than me instead.

‘Justin Rocky’s not up here.’ Chrissy calls worried and it shatters me to pieces.

How do you catch someone who’s always a step ahead of everyone? How are you supposed to catch someone who’s always everywhere yet nowhere?