If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-nine.

Justin’s Point of View

‘I’m going to get some water.’ Chrissy sits up in the bed before rolling out of it. ‘I’ll be right back.’

‘Okay. Don’t take all night.’

‘Ha-ha.’ She fires back turning her back to me.

I watch quietly as Chrissy scurries out of the room and down the hall. The across the hall squeaks open and I nearly leap onto the floor beside her bed.

‘Chrissy?’ I hear her dad call out to her.

Please don’t come into the room. Please don’t turn the lights on. Please don’t come into the room. Please don’t turn the lights on. His footsteps grow faint as he walks down the hall and the flight of stairs. Imagine if he saw me just casually lying in his daughter’s bed. He’d probably choke me then hide my body in the closet all before Chrissy got back from downstairs. I use my phone to check the time before hiding its powerful light.

‘Justin?’ Chrissy whispers softly as she closes the door.

‘Down here.’ I laugh using her bed to lift myself up; ‘your dad peeked in here so I jumped down beside the bed.’

‘Yeah, I ran into him downstairs. He was making sure everything was okay.’ She sets down her glass before crawling into the bed. ‘Come here.’

‘How can I say no to that face?’ I make my way over to her and lay down. ‘Where’s Rocky?’

‘My mom stole him for the night.’ She answers scooting her tiny frame towards me and forcing herself under my arm.

‘I’m sure he just loved that.’

‘Of course he did.’ She says through a small yawn, ‘do you want to get breakfast in the morning?’

‘I actually have something to do in the morning.’

‘Oh. What are you doing?’

‘Just some errands. Nothing important.’

‘Would you want to go after?’

‘Okay, how about we get lunch instead?’

‘Okay.’ Chrissy tries her best not to frown but I could tell she was slightly disappointed, ‘so, Chris, what did you get me for my birthday?’

‘I can’t tell you.’

‘You can’t tell me?’ I raise an eyebrow even though she probably couldn’t see it in the darkness of the room.

‘No, I reordered it.’

‘You didn’t have to do that.’

‘I wanted to because I really think you’ll like your gift.’ Her fingers go up and down my inked arm. ‘I love you.’

‘I love you too Chrissy.’

I wait until she falls asleep to slip out of her house. Before I go I make my way to the backyard to check around for any unwanted guests. The place was clear so I sneak away to my car and drive back to the apartment.

>>>>

The next morning I wake up and head down to the fight club. There were only a few people scattered around the building this morning.

‘Justin, great to see you my man.’ Mike greets me with a hard pat on my back. ‘Are you ready to get started?’

‘Yeah, very.’

‘Alright, let’s get you some gear.’

I find a bright pair of red boxing gloves and a mouthpiece along with some headgear that didn’t have the greatest smell.

‘First, we’re going to see what you have to work with.’ He turns away from me briefly, ‘Terry. Get over here for a second.’

Terry. I was half expecting a girl to walk over here but instead it was large hairy man or someone my age. I really couldn’t tell with all of that facial hair.

‘Go easy on him.’ Mike warns as I climb my way into the ring. ‘Let’s see what you got.’

‘Ready?’ Terry mutters behind his mouth guard.

‘Yeah.’ I nod circling around in the ring.

‘Put your hands up, kid!’ Mike calls out to me.

Just as Terry’s large hand swings out to me I cover my face.

‘Good. Move your feet.’

I attempt to spar with this man who was clearly experienced in the ring. He gets one good hit on my cheek before Mike blows the whistle.

‘Good job.’ Terry hits my gloves with his. ‘Sorry about that last hit.’

‘Don’t worry about it.’ I pull the gloves off and roll out of the ring.

My face stung and I just knew it would leave a mark. Great. Chrissy would be curious to what happened for sure.

‘That wasn’t too bad for your first day. I see a lot of room for improvement.’

‘I’m ready to learn.’

It was two long hours later when I dragging my duffle bag out of the fight club. I look at my face in the rearview mirror to already see the bruise forming on my face. Maybe I could reschedule lunch with Chrissy. I pull my phone out to see she texted me an hour ago.

Good morning! I hope you’re having a better morning than me. My dad and Isabelle are driving me insane. He’s putty in her hands. Please finish your errands soon and get me out of here. Anyway. I love you. – Chrissy.

I call her as I start my car up backing out of the parking lot. It didn’t take long for her to answer the phone.

‘Hey baby, just letting you know I’m going to the apartment to shower and I’ll be over there.’

‘Great. See you soon.’ She didn’t even try to contain her excitement.

‘See you soon.’

I hang up and head straight to the apartment.

‘What happened to you?’ Nichole asks from the sofa.

‘He’s taking up this boxing class.’ Ryan answers with an amused expression on his face.

‘Is it that noticeable?’ I use the front camera of my phone to study the puffy redish purple area on my face. ‘I’m supposed to get Chrissy for lunch.’

‘No.’ Ryan says but I know he’s lying.

‘I have to shower.’ I grab a frozen pack of mixed vegetables that Chrissy bought and press it to my face.

After my shower I toss the vegetables back into the freezer and hurry out the door, ‘see you later.’ I call before closing the door.

The entire ride to Chrissy’s house I glance at my face at every red light. I grab a pair of sunglasses from the glove department and slip them on my face. I get to her house and ring the doorbell.

‘Justin, hi.’ Her mom ushers me into the house. ‘She’s upstairs in her room.’

‘Thank you.’ I nod heading up the stairs.

Chrissy was lying across her bed staring at the TV. She doesn’t pay any attention as I step over the doorway.

‘What are you watching?’

‘Justin!’ she beams sitting up in the bed, ‘It’s called Say Yes to the Dress.’

‘Let me guess-‘ I pause looking at the TV, ‘is it about wedding dresses?’

‘What gave you that idea?’ she asks with a smile playing on her face, ‘all of the white dresses or the title?’

‘The white dresses.’ I respond sitting down on the bed beside her, ‘is this the show you used to watch at the apartment all of the time?’

‘This is it.’ She replies slipping her feet into a pair of sandals. ‘If you want we can watch I Found the Gown later today.’

‘I wouldn’t miss it.’ I laugh, ‘Are you ready to go?’

‘Yes!’

We say goodbye to her parents and Isabelle before slipping out of the front door.

‘So what was up with your dad?’ I ask once we slid into the car.

‘Isabelle is pushing every possible button. She was saying I shouldn’t leave the house today. Things have been a little tense since dinner last night.’

‘I don’t think she should keep this up.’

‘I don’t know what we can do about it until they leave.’

‘Maybe there’s something.’

‘How was your morning?’

‘Exhausting.’ I laugh looking over at her.

‘I like the glasses.’ She compliments. ‘I’m not used to see you wearing them while you’re driving.’

‘Last minute decision.’

With each small lie I told I felt the guilt weighing on me. Her ring shined with the help of the sunlight. The ring reminded me of the promises I made to her just a few days ago. I promise never to lie to you or keep something from you. I’m going to tell her today, during lunch.

‘Where do you want to eat?’

‘You can pick.’ She replies with a smile, ‘It doesn’t matter.’

I ended up driving to Panda Express and sliding out of the car. Chrissy follows behind me grabbing a hold of my hand. We find one of those tall tables in the corner. I couldn’t help but smile at how Chrissy’s feet dangled not able to reach the floor.

‘Smells really good here.’

‘Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.’ I nod, trying to look at the menu with these dark glasses on.

‘We’re inside now.’ Chrissy hints with a teasing smile.

‘Right.’ I nod slowly taking the glasses from my face just as I lift the menu up. ‘What are you getting?’

‘The grilled teriyaki chicken sounds great right now. What are you getting?’

‘I’m thinking the honey walnut shrimp.’

Across the table Chrissy makes a face at the mentioning of walnuts. I’ve been so busy lately with this new crisis that I hadn’t had the chance to call that restaurant in Arizona to see if the manager found out anything else. He hasn’t heard the last about this I can guarantee that and if Isabelle’s behind it, I’ll personally tell Chrissy’s dad.

‘Are you ready to order?’ One of the workers wonders standing beside the table.

‘Yes.’ Chrissy nods, ‘I’ll have the grilled teriyaki chicken with chow mein.’

‘And I’ll have the honey walnut shrimp with chow mein.’

‘And to drink?’

‘Sparking blackberry for her and I’ll just take a Gatorade.’

‘Any appetizers?’

Chrissy politely shakes her head no and closes the menu before handing it to the girl.

‘Alright, I’ll be back shortly.’

‘Thank you.’ I call out in the same time Chrissy does.

Our waitress comes back even sooner than expected and places my food in front of me. I slowly place the menu onto the table then pulled the fork out.

‘Where are your dad and the kids hiding out at?’ she wonders, her eyes on her food.

‘They are spending some time with their mom, Erin. They went to Disney World and some other places. We’re gonna hang out before they leave though.’

‘They’re both getting so big. I got to talk to them at the party.’

‘Yeah, I swear they grow more every time I see them.’

Chrissy looks up at me to smile but that quickly fades when she studies my bruise. Her eyebrows are already knitted together as she drops her fork.

‘What happened to your face?’

‘That bad, huh?’ I stiff out a laugh taking a piece of shrimp to my mouth.

‘Justin.’ Chrissy says in her serious tone.

Now was the time to tell her. Since chances are she’ll find out anyway in the end. I’ve learned she’s more upset with me when I hide the truth rather than coming forward and telling her myself.

‘Well, don’t freak out or anything but I started taking boxing classes. I was sparring with this guy and I didn’t cover up like I should have and this happened.’

‘Boxing classes?’ she cocks her head to the side to stare at me, ‘why would start taking boxing classes Justin?’ The air is quiet for a few seconds before Chrissy nods a few times, ‘please don’t tell me it’s because of me.’

‘I want you safe Chris.’

‘And I want you safe.’

‘I will be safe.’

‘I don’t want you chasing down predators and wrestling with intruders.’

‘Are you telling me not to do it?’

‘No, I’m not telling you what to do. You make your own decisions.’

‘Well what are you saying?’

‘Be careful.’

‘I always am.’ I assure her.